U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2012, 02:26 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,143,916 times

Advertisements

OK children, let's keep this thread on topic, and stop the bashing.
Bob.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:56 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,260,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
OK children, let's keep this thread on topic, and stop the bashing.
Bob.
Unfortunately this subforum seems to become more and more desecrated with inconsiderate low-blows and insufferable attitudes each day...

Old 03-22-2012, 05:34 PM

I guess to answer my own question in the beginning of this thread, I should consult a professional behavioral expert as to why males in particular feel THE NEED to have a loud exhaust on their vehicles.
Obviously it goes a lot further than "I like the sound".
What if there were no way to remove an existing exhaust system because the factory made it a sealed unit that would involve ripping up the undercarraige to get at the exhaust to install an after market unit, would these "I like the sound" guys settle for stock set ups, or go to the expense of totally destroying the undercarraige to get at the exhaust.
Just trying to pick the brains of people who crave something other than stock exhaust.
Bob.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:43 PM

One other thing regarding the exhaust on motorcycles.
I wonder just how many would give up the loud system if the bike risked being impounded,along with a stiff fine for creating an obnoxious impediment to peace and quiet.
This brings me back to the fifties something jerk on his motorcycle that I mentioned in a previous post.
Sunday, I was across the street talking with my neighbor, and this jerk passed by going at least 80 mph.
The speed limit on our street is 35 mph.
Any way, beyond our house, the street winds up a hill.
That hill is more than a half mile from where we were standing, and the exhaust from the bike could be heard loud and clear. even at that distance.
It was 3pm, so it wasn't like the quiet of a late night where sounds echo.
Matter of fact, I couldn't hear myself talking to my neighbor at the time, the exhaust was so loud.
Bob.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:06 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,083,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
One other thing regarding the exhaust on motorcycles.
I wonder just how many would give up the loud system if the bike risked being impounded,along with a stiff fine for creating an obnoxious impediment to peace and quiet.
This brings me back to the fifties something jerk on his motorcycle that I mentioned in a previous post.
Sunday, I was across the street talking with my neighbor, and this jerk passed by going at least 80 mph.
The speed limit on our street is 35 mph.
Any way, beyond our house, the street winds up a hill.
That hill is more than a half mile from where we were standing, and the exhaust from the bike could be heard loud and clear. even at that distance.
It was 3pm, so it wasn't like the quiet of a late night where sounds echo.
Matter of fact, I couldn't hear myself talking to my neighbor at the time, the exhaust was so loud.
Bob.
This is an even worse thing if you have to live along a main street.
Speed limits are always in place, but with not a whole lot of cops around anymore, laws typically go unenforced until someone gets hurt, be it an accident or an impromptu boxing match in the street.

That said, if someone has a noticeable exhaust on their motorcycle or car, I believe the intensity of the sound generally has to do with their driving habits.
If one is going around a corner or down the street and driving like a normally tempered person, then it doesn't bother me.

Sadly, I hear a lot of these guys roaring down the street at high speed, or peeling out from a stop.
That right there usually resonates "I'm an angry person with high blood pressure and I got nothing to lose."
And most of the time, it pretty much seems that way.
Unapproachable in a parking lot and if they have a girlfriend/significant other with them, their smile looks pretty fake and this look behind their eyes in the vein of "someone please save me."

Old 07-15-2012, 06:42 PM

12,931 posts, read 13,219,002 times
Why loud exhausts.............well, just watch the documentary about the USA titled "Idiocracy".....then it will all make sense.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:50 PM

8,402 posts, read 18,219,617 times
There needs to be a dumbass button on each post so that they can be flushed for gross stupidity, beyond any TOU violation.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:49 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,083,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Why loud exhausts.............well, just watch the documentary about the USA titled "Idiocracy".....then it will all make sense.
There was so much they were only able to cover in the span of the entire movies 2 hours.
It should've been made into a series.

Anyways, the other justification for these exhausts systems is a sign of individuality for a particular vehicle.
This is moot when a good percentage of the cars heard every hour have either the fart-cannon or the atypical Flowmaster noise.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:18 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,156,039 times
My friend drives an Infiniti G35 Coupe and loves the "throaty" exhaust sound. I can't help but agree that it sounds pretty fantastic. Most of the time though, people do upgrades on exhaust systems for performance. If you're just wanting a noisy car, well that's dumb IMO.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:22 PM

556 posts, read 869,159 times
My last car was a 2005 GTO, had heads, cam, intake, longtube headers and a 2.5" Corsa full exhaust. The Corsa was loud with the longtubes but it was the highest quality exhaust made for the GTO, the car put down 450rwhp and 560rwhp on a little hit of nitrous. Ran a best of 11.551@118.28mph full weight with a 300lb driver, never got a clean nitrous run. My car being loud was a byproduct of the performance modifications and the quest for track times, it was very quiet in the cabin tho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmlwf...e_gdata_player

Little cruise around town
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udmCu...e_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFrlm...e_gdata_player

All motor passes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhSee...e_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRWMN...e_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQRmC...e_gdata_player

Last edited by SK360; 07-15-2012 at 09:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive