Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 08:33 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times

Advertisements

And if you get the right cop he could give you a ticket for loud exhaust and a reckless for the spirited canyon driving.

What you don't know is I have a 68 Dodge Charger R/T, with a 440.
For a exhaust straight piped for a "muffler" 2 old blown out glass-packs.

I've gotten the thumbs up even have been in a race with a cop.
I've also gotten tickets for what some cops give the thumbs for.

Still does not make it not an offense just because you were not ticketed for it, said the kettle to the pot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Bolded to show that none of that happens when you simply accellerate briskly or do a quick rev up an onramp. I've done that right in front of a cop and only got a thumbs up. In my V8 RX7 in downtown Seattle a street cop came up to me and asked me about the car and had me rev the engine. Built 5.0 with headers and flowmasters. Gave me a big smile, thumbs up and a "damn. Nice car!"

Sports cars being driven briskly on twisty backroads is against the law, too, but you're not going to stop me or anyone that owns one from doing that by quoting the law, either. And again, I'm not talking racing speeds, here, just "briskly."

Old 07-16-2012, 08:45 PM

88 posts, read 687,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
What is it about the male population between the ages of 18-35 (some older) that dictates they HAVE to drive a vehicle with something other than a stock exhaust system installed?
Why do they feel their vehicle has to make all that racket , especially when they accelerate?
I wish someone who has a loud exhaust system on their car, would chime in here and explain why you feel your vehicles has to have this aftermarket system installed.
I am really curious as to what, the criteria in your minds dictates you need to have a loud exhaust system.
The same could be asked of motorcycle owners.
Bob.
I think you answered your own question in your initial question itself.

Preference.

But not mine nevertheless. I prefer a subtle rumble.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:10 PM

556 posts, read 1,228,070 times
Quote:
I don't care what people think about this useless need to be heard, and seen, I am a strict law and order guy, and If I could, I would make it mandatory that ALL vehicles be made to run as quiet as is possible, and no more after market crap allowed.
I would instruct law enforcement to ticket all who go against this law, and add stiff fines and perhaps jail time for habitual non conformers.
In other words, tow the line or pay the consequences.
All vehicles from the factory have approved exhaust systems installed, and that should be the way they are kept.
No alterations accepted, and no exceptions.
If it was good enough for the car makers to put these systems on their vehicles, then it should be good enough for the car buying public to use them instead of modifying the system.
If your vehicle was made to do 100 mph, then there is no reason to modify to do 120.
Simply put, if you don't like the way a vehicle is designed then don't buy it ,walk, or take public transportation.
It is what it is, and it's a dammed good thing I am not the person who decides the law, and penalty for not obeying it.
There would be a lot of people walking.
Bob.
Just wow. Just because you see your car only as a means from getting from point A to point B doesn't mean you have to drag the rest of us down with your boring life.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:14 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,103 times
Quote:
Can someone explain the preference for loud exhaust systems?
Gladly...

Some people are dumb.

That'll be $20.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:21 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times
Well it's easy, while you like lemons others like oranges, while some don't like nether lemons or oranges, instead they like apples.

Quote:
What is it about the male population between the ages of 18-35 (some older) that dictates they HAVE to drive a vehicle with something other than a stock exhaust system installed?
Why do they feel their vehicle has to make all that racket , especially when they accelerate?
I wish someone who has a loud exhaust system on their car, would chime in here and explain why you feel your vehicles has to have this aftermarket system installed.
I am really curious as to what, the criteria in your minds dictates you need to have a loud exhaust system.
The same could be asked of motorcycle owners.
Bob.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:00 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,575,276 times
If its done for performance gains and its your hobby, I see no problem. When some zit faced teen throws an annoying buzzing aftermarket muffler on a stock honda to make it sound loud and faster than what it really is, then its idiotic and annoying.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:25 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
There's nothing like a 'stang with some flowmasters on it. Even better with a supercharger....MMMEEEEOOOOOWWWWW

Old 07-17-2012, 03:47 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
Guys put loud exhaust on their car for the same reason golfers buy bigger drivers, it makes them feel good.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:40 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,171,871 times
Just remember, for every one thing another person(s) does that annoys you, you probably have a few characteristics yourself they don't particularly care for. So, yeah, making things like this illegal may seem all well and good to you now, someday somebody will ***** about something near and dear to you and you'll see the flipside. Or we could just outlaw anything that ever annoys anyone and all sit staring at walls. Doesn't that sound like fun?

For all my gearhead brethren here, make sure you join SEMAs Action Network (SAN) and stay involved.

That is all,

Mike

Old 07-18-2012, 08:09 AM

88 posts, read 687,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
Just remember, for every one thing another person(s) does that annoys you, you probably have a few characteristics yourself they don't particularly care for. So, yeah, making things like this illegal may seem all well and good to you now, someday somebody will ***** about something near and dear to you and you'll see the flipside. Or we could just outlaw anything that ever annoys anyone and all sit staring at walls. Doesn't that sound like fun?

For all my gearhead brethren here, make sure you join SEMAs Action Network (SAN) and stay involved.

That is all,

Mike
Oh, I'm sorry, I am annoyed by walls, they're too confining and just get in the way. And people staring... nothing grinds my gears more than a blank stare.

I guess under the OP's idea for rule of law we'd just have to die. Unless that's annoying to someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive