U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 06:43 PM

8,825 posts, read 23,242,151 times

Advertisements

A somewhat louder than stock exhaust that's actually set up to make a bit more power (and usually a bit better cruise economy as well BTW) can be quite nice. I do like to be able to hear the exhaust note when I drive. It can be overdone though. Out here in the West where distances are long, generally, a really loud exhaust on car or bike can be annoying, even if it's my car/bike.

Most young lads are putting "fart cans" on Japanese cars, and frequently don't have much $ for real performance mods. My Camry (yes, Camry) came to me with a loud muffler and bigger exhaust tip, these went away pretty quick.

A louder than stock exhaust makes more sense on some cars than others...

Good point too that it depends on how the vehicle is driven and when/where. Winding it up on normally quiet residential streets is just rude.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:52 PM

2,187 posts, read 2,659,028 times
Bunch of haters in here, wow. I didn't read the whole thread, but having something to listen to other than your tires is nice sometimes. What, you don't go driving around sunset, roll down your window and just cruise? You should try it sometime, it's pretty great. Why does there have to be a reason other than we like it? My girlfriend likes her F150's exhaust (that she picked out, and had installed), is she some kind of pseudo dude? She doesn't have a dick, so there goes your compensation argument (which is the most ignorant, mouth breathing response I've ever heard, by the way).

In my opinion, most 6 cylinders and almost all 4 cylinders do not need exhausts, they sound like little weed wackers or lawn mowers. Give a big, healthy V8 a nice set of pipes, let her ring. Others see it differently, and I'm alright with that.

Edit: also, if I ever bought a 4cyl, this is the way I'd want it to sound :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ7R_buZPSo&t=1m10s

Last edited by kazyn; 09-09-2011 at 07:04 PM..

Old 09-09-2011, 06:56 PM

5,930 posts, read 6,479,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Most of you have stated you like the sound of the exhaust, but I fear my original question has not been addressed.
The question is still, WHY?
The same reason I like cheeseburgers and chocolate malts: I just do.

Quote:
Women don't seem too be compelled to ride around with loud exhaust,.
In my experience you are correct in that women are less likely to drive cars with loud exhaust.

But it's also my experience that most women really like it when guys drive cars or bikes with loud exhaust.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:58 PM

4,561 posts, read 4,169,756 times
Quote:
What is it about the male population between the ages of 18-35 (some older) that dictates they HAVE to drive a vehicle with something other than a stock exhaust system installed?
Why do they feel their vehicle has to make all that racket , especially when they accelerate?
I wish someone who has a loud exhaust system on their car, would chime in here and explain why you feel your vehicles has to have this aftermarket system installed.
I am really curious as to what, the criteria in your minds dictates you need to have a loud exhaust system.
The same could be asked of motorcycle owners.
Bob.

I fit both demographics and I have the stock Muffler on my truck, and a QUIETER one on my bike!

As to the bikes... it's actually the OLDER guys (And the HD riders) from what I've seen.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:02 AM

861 posts, read 1,200,678 times
Quote:
What is it about the male population between the ages of 18-35 (some older) that dictates they HAVE to drive a vehicle with something other than a stock exhaust system installed?
Why do they feel their vehicle has to make all that racket , especially when they accelerate?
I wish someone who has a loud exhaust system on their car, would chime in here and explain why you feel your vehicles has to have this aftermarket system installed.
I am really curious as to what, the criteria in your minds dictates you need to have a loud exhaust system.
Bob.

If done correctly with quality parts and aftermarket exhaust can increase power and torque. It can also increase fuel mileage during steady state cruising due to better flow and less restriction. What most don't understand is that bigger is not better unless you are running a forced induction car and louder is almost never better.

I get guys that come into the shop here all day long wanting us to mount these Ebay fart cans on their cars and 90% of the time I can talk them out of it. They don't understand that to increase power the entire system needs to be addressed and putting that crappy polished fart can on will do nothing but make the car loud and obnoxious. I've actually seen back to back runs where cars have lost power with the cheap stuff.

I'm one that does enjoy a nice sounding exhaust system. A high strung straight 6 or a well tuned V8 sounds great with the right system on it. When I built my last turbo car I threw on a set of Flow master 40 series I had laying around. I knew they were really loud on an NA car but thought they'd be ok with a couple of turbo in front of them to break up the sound waves. I was wrong, the car was obnoxious. I dynoed it a couple of times and it made great power but sounded like a drag car. Not something you want when you are driving a high 9sec, low 10sec street car and would prefer to go unnoticed. I swapped on a set of 16in Magnaflows and the car was quite again. A few weeks later we were working on drive-ability tuning on the dyno and made a full pull. Car actually picked up HP and huge torque with the new mufflers.

If done correctly an aftermarket exhaust can increase power and economy. Done wrong all it does is **** off everyone around you. Unfortunately most people have no clue what the difference is.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:57 AM

3,383 posts, read 3,493,521 times
Quote:
Most of you have stated you like the sound of the exhaust, but I fear my original question has not been addressed.
The question is still, WHY?
Women don't seem too be compelled to ride around with loud exhaust, so why do men, mostly in the age group I stated, feel it is necessary to drive around with the insatiable need to be heard.
Some of you stated you like the sound of power.
Realistically, you always have that same power weather your exhaust is noisy or quiet, so why do you opt for noisy?
I get the feeling it is a "look at me" syndrone, but at this point I am only guessing.
I would really like to know.
Bob.
No its not to get women... I don't have any crazy cars now, I had some in the past, and I will have some in the future.

The loudest possible, is just stupid. But a nice aftermarket exhaust with a decent tone usually is the one that does the best. Some people just think Loud=fast.

You don't understand why I like a modified car... I don't understand why you drive a boring stock car.

Let it fly and don't cry about it too much, and maybe it won't bother you.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:10 PM

8,311 posts, read 5,421,118 times
Quote:
Bob.
Depends on the car. The stock exhaust on the M5 and E63 sound like crap, especially the M5 which down low rattles like a diesel. There's really not much power to be had there so its mostly about aural pleasure. Most American V8's sound better with aftermarket exhaust which doesn't mean you need to have a glasspack muffler. There are plenty of modern mufflers that have most of the benefit of a straight-through glasspack but actually, well, muffle. There's also quite a bit of power to be had as the stock setups are overly restrictive. If you're talking about Civics with fart cans.... I don't get it either.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:15 PM
Status: "Do U follow politics? UMMM, do you mean like Football???" (set 7 days ago)

8,530 posts, read 5,873,098 times
I think the same thing about motorcycles, just insanely loud. And isn't there a law regulating how much noise a car/motorcyle can crank out......oops, there is........ but they are never enforced.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:05 PM

10,682 posts, read 8,050,105 times
I have a Tubi exhaust on my car. It's a fantastic sound. If you don't understand what a good exhaust system should sound like, and why that's appealing - then you never will.

Now, as for the eBay systems on Civics and other sh1tboxes. I will never understand that. It's just annoying.

As for loud exhaust on motorcycles, please see "The F Word" episode of South Park.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:43 PM

8,311 posts, read 5,421,118 times
Again, what type of motorcycle? Sportbikes are loud period, with a race slip-on they're quite a bit louder than all the Harley's you see running around with off-road only Screaming Eagle pipes. The difference is most sport bike riders don't sit around reving their engines and are far too fast to do much more than baby around on the streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive