Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 05:44 PM

483 posts, read 1,559,707 times

Advertisements

The sound of the exhaust is more important than how loud it is. My lawn mower is probably louder than a lot of aftermarket exhausts; that doesn't mean my lawn mower sounds better.

My LP560 is very loud on cold startup, to the point that I don't start it up after 9pm because my neighborhood is full of old people who probably sleep at 8pm lol. Once warmed up though, it quiets down. I actually prefer the sound once it's warmed-up.

But the lamest thing you can do is put an aftermarket exhaust on Honda Civic or Scion.... With a dual 4" tips. Those teenage ricers do this a lot. --> THAT'S DUMB

Old 10-27-2011, 06:18 PM

343 posts, read 692,871 times
It's noise pollution- pure and simple. Every other large pickup/SUV/Mustang 5.0 has it and it's f***ing annoying. No one gives a $#!7 if your truck makes a deep, barritone exhaust note.

For every one of these POS I wish I had a Barrett .50 to take out the engine. That ought to clip their wings for a while.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:57 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramedud View Post
It's noise pollution- pure and simple. Every other large pickup/SUV/Mustang 5.0 has it and it's f***ing annoying. No one gives a $#!7 if your truck makes a deep, barritone exhaust note.

For every one of these POS I wish I had a Barrett .50 to take out the engine. That ought to clip their wings for a while.
As long as the db level is within what's legal wherever you live, then there's nothing wrong with it.

The idea that it's somehow better to attack other people and their property for doing something completely legal is far more troubling than anyones exhaust system.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:00 PM

138 posts, read 451,557 times
It's the 'American Way'.... Nobody except josh u mentioned having the courtesy to not run something that is so loud that it disturbs people. Thank you. Some people have to work nites- many work 12 hour shifts. When they come home they try to sleep- and anyone who has worked nites knows that generally it is very difficult to get any good sound sleep during the day- we have evolved to sleep at nite...
And whoever said 'girls' like loud revs didn't speak for most of us. I drive a 3500 Dodge diesel dually that has a very deep 'quiet' rumble- something that evokes strength and power to me, which is exactly what I need it for- hauling horses to shows throughout the country. No loud high pitch attention seeking 'little man' syndrome from my truck....

Old 10-28-2011, 01:20 AM

343 posts, read 692,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
As long as the db level is within what's legal wherever you live, then there's nothing wrong with it.

The idea that it's somehow better to attack other people and their property for doing something completely legal is far more troubling than anyones exhaust system.
Never mentioned anything about attacking people, just their terrible choice in automobiles.

Let's be honest here: Have you ever seen a cop with a decibel meter? Ever? Even in your great state of TX? I didn't think so. Many enforcement offices don't follow up on complaints, and are only willing to issue warnings. These laws are hardly ever enforced.

Does that sound legal to you? Fair, perhaps? Where does that leave me? Completely powerless. I have to put up with it. I have a legal right to not hear loud, terrible exhaust notes from every wannabe truck driving by my house day after day.

It's absurd. Forget their "legality."

Last edited by ramedud; 10-28-2011 at 02:16 AM..

Old 10-28-2011, 04:36 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
i always found it odd that near every Harley, whether driven by a 'biker' or a lawyer, could have exhaust that rattled the pavement yet no tickets. But put a nice performance exhaust on a car (not talking fart can on the back) and one gets flak for it. Do i like overly loud vehicles? Nope. But do I like the sound of a well tuned car/truck and full exhaust system? Yep.
And for the record, I'm not in the 18-35 crowd, but near 50; and still enjoy my vehicles like I did back in the muscle car days. One can have a good system but drive it so it doesnt get obnoxious in neighborhoods...... no different then those loud bikes...

to be honest, i'd much rather complain about neighbors who's damn dogs bark all day and night, instead of a car passing by.

my .02

Old 10-28-2011, 06:21 AM

662 posts, read 1,228,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
What is it about the male population between the ages of 18-35 (some older) that dictates they HAVE to drive a vehicle with something other than a stock exhaust system installed?
Why do they feel their vehicle has to make all that racket , especially when they accelerate?
I wish someone who has a loud exhaust system on their car, would chime in here and explain why you feel your vehicles has to have this aftermarket system installed.
I am really curious as to what, the criteria in your minds dictates you need to have a loud exhaust system.
The same could be asked of motorcycle owners.
Bob.
People install an aftermarket exhaust system for one of four reasons.

Number one is to gain a little more power by adding a higher-flow aftermarket setup. Most of the good ones of these kinds aren't all that much louder than a stock setup because they are fairly similar to a stock setup in construction but just use moderately larger diameter pipes and passages.

Number two is for appearance reasons. These are the guys that do things like install dual exhausts (two tailpipes), very large diameter exhaust pipes, chrome exhaust components, and exhaust stacks on pickups. These often only modify the exhaust system downstream of the muffler (because you can't see anything upstream of it) and thus wouldn't change the exhaust note much, resonator "fart can" mufflers being an exception.

Number three is because they want a different exhaust note. Some stock exhaust systems simply sound bad, such as that on a Subaru flat-four. Replacing the headers on those will change the exhaust note from a farting blat to something less offensive. Engines with uneven firing orders- mainly engines with cross-plane crankshafts, such as nearly all V8s and "true" V-twins- have a characteristic pleasing burbling exhaust note. These owners mostly want to increase the volume so they can hear the engine at something less than wide open throttle. People with small even-firing engines such as inline four-cylinders who add exhaust modifications to increase exhaust note volume (usually by adding a resonator chamber) mainly want to make enough noise to get people to look at their car.

Number four is because the stock exhaust system is defective and needs repair/replacement, and they chose something higher-quality than what was originally on the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Ahh, no. I'm starting to think that the only people compensating are the ones that point out how everyone else is compensating...

Why can't we simply like something?
Because people who Know Better Than Us don't like it and thus want to eliminate it. If they can't outright ban it, they act to marginalize it using pseudo-intellectual babble. The OP's handle suggests he is from California- that should be sufficient explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Most of you have stated you like the sound of the exhaust, but I fear my original question has not been addressed.
The question is still, WHY?
The simple answer is that we like it. It sounds good. It's exactly the same as asking why do you like the exact music you listen to and not another genre of music?

Quote:
Women don't seem too be compelled to ride around with loud exhaust, so why do men, mostly in the age group I stated, feel it is necessary to drive around with the insatiable need to be heard.
Some of you stated you like the sound of power.
Realistically, you always have that same power weather your exhaust is noisy or quiet, so why do you opt for noisy?
I get the feeling it is a "look at me" syndrone, but at this point I am only guessing.
I would really like to know.
Bob.
Here's a question for you. Why do women feel compelled to plaster their vehicles, homes, and workplaces with everything relating to their children? I don't care to look at your bumper sticker saying little {Aiden|Braden|Jayden|Kayden|Zayden} made first grade honor roll. I don't care to see the little stick-figure emblems on the rear window of your minivan showing that you have two daughters and a son. I don't care to see 87 pictures of your kids plastered in your cubicle/office at work. I don't care to see the macaroni and finger paint pictures on the wall. Congratulations- you managed to reproduce, just like untold billions of other people. You don't need to advertise it to everybody in the frigging world.

Now YOU tell me how that is different from a male having a louder exhaust on his vehicle.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:40 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,084,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramedud View Post

I can appreciate a deep barritone V8 exhaust note and even a throaty 6 cylinder. What annoys me are the little fan boy racer types and their loud high-pitched exhaust... and that's not just "noise pollution" it's actual polution in most cases! What they do is remove the catalytic converter from the muffler so they're spewing out unneccesary amounts of CO2 on top of the obnoxious noise so they can get an extra three horsepower out of it. Nevermind that they end up with an ugly smoke stain on their bumper.

It's illegal and I wish cops would enforce it.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:49 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Nothing like the sound of a 12 cylinder Ferrari. Not overly loud but the correct amount of sound to turn on a row of car alarms in a parking structure. The sound is so unique that the 8 cylinder versions of the brand have a tuned exhuast that allows them to accomplish the same goal of turning on the car alarms in a parking structure. Still the sound is not ear splitting.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:09 AM

732 posts, read 2,126,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
I can appreciate a deep barritone V8 exhaust note and even a throaty 6 cylinder. What annoys me are the little fan boy racer types and their loud high-pitched exhaust... and that's not just "noise pollution" it's actual polution in most cases! What they do is remove the catalytic converter from the muffler so they're spewing out unneccesary amounts of CO2 on top of the obnoxious noise so they can get an extra three horsepower out of it. Nevermind that they end up with an ugly smoke stain on their bumper.

It's illegal and I wish cops would enforce it.
Catalytic converters are not a part of the muffler.

Catalytic converters do nothing for CO2. It's hydrocarbons or unburnt fuel.

In fact, cats actually PRODUCE the CO2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Most present-day vehicles that run on gasoline are fitted with a "three way" converter, so named because it converts the three main pollutants in automobile exhaust: an oxidising reaction converts carbon monoxide(CO) and unburned hydrocarbons(HC), and a reduction reaction converts oxides of nitrogen (NOx) to produce carbon dioxide(CO2), nitrogen(N2), and water(H2O).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive