Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 03:46 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Well, if it's a track, car-show, or drag-strip, then that's where it's meant to take place.
But just pulling off those types of stunts in random places gets old for some of us real quick.
However, if you could control yourself and not crash into anything, then good for you.

I've already rolled past a couple of instances where someone attempts to peel out in their mean machine and ends up in a wall or on top of a fire hydrant.
Good for a laugh as you're taking off.
Punching it off the line or a quick rev while in a tunnel is not the same as reckless racing, as you seem to think. It's not stunt driving. A quick blast up to speed on an onramp isn't reckless, but it is fun, and no it hasn't gotten old after 30 years of having fun, fast cars. (with no accidents ever, and only 2 tickets ever)

Old 07-16-2012, 04:02 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,171,657 times
No but it is exhibition driving and it can get you a ticket.
"reckless racing" whatever that is .

SEC. 8.04. EXHIBITION DRIVING.
Subd. 1. Prima Facie Evidence. It is prima facie evidence of exhibition driving when a motor vehicle stops, starts, accelerates, decelerates, or turns at an unnecessary rate of speed so as to cause tires to squeal, gears to grind, soil to be thrown, engine backfire, fishtailing or skidding, or, as to two-wheeled or three-wheeled motor vehicles, the front wheel to lose contact with the ground or roadway surface.
Subd. 2. Unlawful Act. It is a misdemeanor for any person to do any exhibition driving on any street, parking lot, or other public or private property, except when an emergency creates necessity for such operation to prevent injury to persons or damage to property; provided, that this Section shall not apply to driving on a racetrack. For purposes of this Section, a "racetrack" means any track or premises whereon motorized vehicles, horses, dogs, or other animals or fowl legally compete in a race or timed contest for an audience, the members of which have directly or indirectly paid a consideration for admission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Punching it off the line or a quick rev while in a tunnel is not the same as reckless racing, as you seem to think. It's not stunt driving. A quick blast up to speed on an onramp isn't reckless, but it is fun, and no it hasn't gotten old after 30 years of having fun, fast cars. (with no accidents ever, and only 2 tickets ever)

Old 07-16-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
No but it is exhibition driving and it can get you a ticket.
"reckless racing" whatever that is .

SEC. 8.04. EXHIBITION DRIVING.
Subd. 1. Prima Facie Evidence. It is prima facie evidence of exhibition driving when a motor vehicle stops, starts, accelerates, decelerates, or turns at an unnecessary rate of speed so as to cause tires to squeal, gears to grind, soil to be thrown, engine backfire, fishtailing or skidding, or, as to two-wheeled or three-wheeled motor vehicles, the front wheel to lose contact with the ground or roadway surface.
Bolded to show that none of that happens when you simply accellerate briskly or do a quick rev up an onramp. I've done that right in front of a cop and only got a thumbs up. In my V8 RX7 in downtown Seattle a street cop came up to me and asked me about the car and had me rev the engine. Built 5.0 with headers and flowmasters. Gave me a big smile, thumbs up and a "damn. Nice car!"

Sports cars being driven briskly on twisty backroads is against the law, too, but you're not going to stop me or anyone that owns one from doing that by quoting the law, either. And again, I'm not talking racing speeds, here, just "briskly."

Old 07-16-2012, 04:28 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
What is it about the male population between the ages of 18-35 (some older) that dictates they HAVE to drive a vehicle with something other than a stock exhaust system installed?
Why do they feel their vehicle has to make all that racket , especially when they accelerate?
I wish someone who has a loud exhaust system on their car, would chime in here and explain why you feel your vehicles has to have this aftermarket system installed.
I am really curious as to what, the criteria in your minds dictates you need to have a loud exhaust system.
The same could be asked of motorcycle owners.
Bob.

It's simple: They can't run down the street jumping up and down screaming "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!! NOTICE ME!!!!! LOOK HOW WONDERFUL I AM!!! I'M SOOOO AMAAAAZZZING!!" Since they can't do that, they simply make their cars/motorcycles so annoyingly loud that people HAVE TO notice them!

Old 07-16-2012, 04:32 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
It's simple: They can't run down the street jumping up and down screaming "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!! NOTICE ME!!!!! LOOK HOW WONDERFUL I AM!!! I'M SOOOO AMAAAAZZZING!!" Since they can't do that, they simply make their cars/motorcycles so annoyingly loud that people HAVE TO notice them!
And the best show of ignorance and overgeneralization award goes to....

Old 07-16-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post

You're not a type A personality are you? More like a wallflower that hopes not to get picked at the dance. Probably have never been on stage, either.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:23 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,978,234 times
I don't care what people think about this useless need to be heard, and seen, I am a strict law and order guy, and If I could, I would make it mandatory that ALL vehicles be made to run as quiet as is possible, and no more after market crap allowed.
I would instruct law enforcement to ticket all who go against this law, and add stiff fines and perhaps jail time for habitual non conformers.
In other words, tow the line or pay the consequences.
All vehicles from the factory have approved exhaust systems installed, and that should be the way they are kept.
No alterations accepted, and no exceptions.
If it was good enough for the car makers to put these systems on their vehicles, then it should be good enough for the car buying public to use them instead of modifying the system.
If your vehicle was made to do 100 mph, then there is no reason to modify to do 120.
Simply put, if you don't like the way a vehicle is designed then don't buy it ,walk, or take public transportation.
It is what it is, and it's a dammed good thing I am not the person who decides the law, and penalty for not obeying it.
There would be a lot of people walking.
Bob.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:06 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
I just went out with the torch and cut the exhaust off of our two Caravans, my Dodge Pickup, our Motorhome, both lawnmowers, and the neighbor's Oldsmobile. I then tied the loose exhaust pieces to the bumpers so they'll drag on the ground and make even more noise. So there.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:16 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I don't care what people think about this useless need to be heard, and seen, I am a strict law and order guy, and If I could, I would make it mandatory that ALL vehicles be made to run as quiet as is possible, and no more after market crap allowed.
I would instruct law enforcement to ticket all who go against this law, and add stiff fines and perhaps jail time for habitual non conformers.
In other words, tow the line or pay the consequences.
All vehicles from the factory have approved exhaust systems installed, and that should be the way they are kept.
No alterations accepted, and no exceptions.
If it was good enough for the car makers to put these systems on their vehicles, then it should be good enough for the car buying public to use them instead of modifying the system.
If your vehicle was made to do 100 mph, then there is no reason to modify to do 120.
Simply put, if you don't like the way a vehicle is designed then don't buy it ,walk, or take public transportation.
It is what it is, and it's a dammed good thing I am not the person who decides the law, and penalty for not obeying it.
There would be a lot of people walking.
Bob.
You know what they say about opinions........

Old 07-16-2012, 08:33 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,978,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You know what they say about opinions........
I would rather have an opinion, and be confronted about it, than to not have an opinion at all.
Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive