Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 09:03 PM

851 posts, read 2,457,616 times

Advertisements

I live in a little town called Niota and I actually found a station that sells 100% gasoline. I am so surprised and . Once they started putting ethinol in the gas (years ago) I can't remember ever seeing a station in FL that had 100% gasoline. I don't know if my car could run on pure gasoline. Does anyone use 100% gas in their car? Do you get better gas mileage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 10:34 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,313,568 times
Ever since ethanol killed my car's throttle body and cost me hundreds and hundreds of dollars at the worst possible time in my life, I've made it a point to fill up with ethanol-free gas at least once per month.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLORIDA TO NIOTA 2010 View Post
I live in a little town called Niota and I actually found a station that sells 100% gasoline. I am so surprised and . Once they started putting ethinol in the gas (years ago) I can't remember ever seeing a station in FL that had 100% gasoline. I don't know if my car could run on pure gasoline. Does anyone use 100% gas in their car? Do you get better gas mileage?

It is so frustrating when you post something and then it gets MOVED!!! I posted this so that people in EAST TENNESSEE would know that there is a place that sells 100% gasoline not the automotive forum ! And Niota isn't in Chattanooga,Knoxville or any of the other main locations so I posted in the TN forum. I'm done ! :/ grrrr

Old 09-21-2011, 06:30 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,995,441 times
100% gas is better than 90% gas and 10% ethanol that is weak compared to gas. The reason so many gas stations have 10% ethanol aside from the lobby influence on government is that the weak energy output means cars will have to return more often.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:36 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,022,504 times
Weak energy output? You do know pure Ethanol has an octane rating of 113 which will increase power? Some people use E85 because it's cheaper than race gas and is over 100 octane.

OP, your car will run fine on pure gas. The car will adjust like it does with any other grade of gas.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:35 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,000,438 times
I cannot remember the last time I saw a station selling 100% gasoline! Glad you found one in your area!

Old 09-21-2011, 08:44 AM

237 posts, read 499,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
Weak energy output? You do know pure Ethanol has an octane rating of 113 which will increase power?
Higher octane gas does not produce more power, silly!

Old 09-21-2011, 10:10 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,672,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLORIDA TO NIOTA 2010 View Post
When a car is rated as being E10 or E85 compliant it means it can run anything from pure gas up to the stated amount of ethanol blend. Running pure gas won't hurt your car at all and will most likely give you slightly improved performance and MPG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
Ever since ethanol killed my car's throttle body and cost me hundreds and hundreds of dollars at the worst possible time in my life, I've made it a point to fill up with ethanol-free gas at least once per month.
This is important to note as not every car (particularly older ones) can tolerate even 10% blend. They are supposed to, but there are plenty of examples where ethanol damaged various components. Check into what the manufacturer actually recommends and if the car isn't designed for it per se and all you have is ethanol fuel in your area, there are some cheap parts that can be changed out to prevent damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzro View Post
Higher octane gas does not produce more power, silly!
No, higher octane alone does not create more power. However, higher octane does allow you to tune/build the engine to make more power through increased compression ratios, advanced timing or higher boost in turbo/supercharger vehicles. It also allows you to create similar power levels in smaller engines to recoup the MPG loss do to ethanols lower energy content.

There really isn't anything wrong with ethanol itself, it's the way that ethanol is used that's a problem. We could build vehicles to take advantage of it, but that would require standards on fuel blends that just don't exist.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:14 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
Weak energy output? You do know pure Ethanol has an octane rating of 113 which will increase power? Some people use E85 because it's cheaper than race gas and is over 100 octane.

OP, your car will run fine on pure gas. The car will adjust like it does with any other grade of gas.
Octane rating has nothing to do with power. Octane rating is a reference to how stable the fuel is.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:23 AM

Even after I complained....Thank you everyone for the responses. I really do appreciate all your comments. Hope you all have a great day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive