U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 08:04 AM

5 posts, read 23,087 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm doing some research on drivers who are ticketed for driving 100 mph or more. Any of you ever gotten a ticket at this speed?

Where were you, and what was the speed limit? How bad was the ticket? Did you get a "reckless driving" citation tacked on or were there any other additional negative effects?

What did it do to your insurance rates?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 09:11 AM

3,441 posts, read 5,156,412 times
Doing research to see how bad you are going to be hit?

More than 20 over the speed limit almost always gets you a reckless op charge.

You are looking at a few hundred for the ticket and a large increase or maybe cancellation of your insurance.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:30 AM

3,869 posts, read 13,013,965 times
Speed, 127mph
Zone, 15mph (narrow bridge)
Ticket. reckless driving, the willful disregard for people and or property, it could have been much worse. It took 3 state troupers and 1 county patrol to stop us, (Damm Motorola radios) could have gotten it for evading and racing also.

Age 17, year 1979, lost my Lic for 90days and a $200 fine.

INS went to high risk cost $$$

Old 09-22-2011, 09:59 AM

861 posts, read 2,374,869 times
Not sure about most states but here in IL 30 over is reckless driving and you lose your license and have your car impounded. From there you get to pay to get your car back, court fees, lawyer fees, the tickets and then you can petition to get your license back. After all that is said and done you get to pay ridiculous insurance rates for the next 5 to 7 yrs.

I have been stopped well over 100mph out west a couple of times but never gotten a ticket. Was told to "keep it under a 100" once and told to slow down a couple of times but never got a ticket. This was out west in AZ, NM back about 10 yrs ago. I'm sure times have changed.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:16 PM

7,780 posts, read 18,356,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Speed, 127mph
Zone, 15mph (narrow bridge)
Ticket. reckless driving, the willful disregard for people and or property, it could have been much worse. It took 3 state troupers and 1 county patrol to stop us, (Damm Motorola radios) could have gotten it for evading and racing also.

Age 17, year 1979, lost my Lic for 90days and a $200 fine.

INS went to high risk cost $$$
you are the same aprox age as me.. Just think what would have happened to you today.. fines in excess of $1000 + jail time and losing your car for sure

Old 09-22-2011, 12:25 PM

780 posts, read 2,229,839 times
Damn it, I knew I shouldn't have hit the brakes. I got a 95 in 55 earlier this year; I'm pretty sure the fine would have been the same with a triple digit infraction.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:41 PM

6,792 posts, read 11,690,822 times
Death

Old 09-22-2011, 01:14 PM

3,869 posts, read 13,013,965 times
And taken out of the car at gun point.

I stopped short of the road block the state troupers had set up so the county officer would be the first one to get to me.
He was cool over it, well as he could be.

He was walking me un-cuffed back to his squad. His car was over heating, he laughed and said if it wasn't for the 2way radio I would have gotten away.

County, Why didn't you stop?
Me, Because I was winning and there was only one squad chasing us.
County, chuckles.

He wrote the ticket and let me drive home.

They towed the guy I was racing because he had been drinking.

Yea, like that would happen today, not a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
you are the same aprox age as me.. Just think what would have happened to you today.. fines in excess of $1000 + jail time and losing your car for sure

Old 09-22-2011, 06:45 PM

6,662 posts, read 26,155,372 times
I got pulled over for 125 30 years ago. I was honest and told the cop I had passed my off ramp and it was a first day at that job. He wrote me up for 85 in a 55, told me if I fought it he would tell the judge I was doing 125. Fine was $200 or so, expensive then.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:01 PM

371 posts, read 837,430 times
I'm not sure whether outside the US is any useful for you, but my recent experiences:

Two weeks ago; 168 kph (105 mph) in a 70 (45 mph) zone. It was highway 94 between Olkusz and Dąbrowa Górnicza, Poland. I was cruising about at around 120-130 kph (75-80 mph) when I saw the light had been green for a while, so I floored it to make the light, thinking that the photo radar was at the previous light. That mistake I won't make again....

Ticket: 500 złoty (around $170)

Three months ago; Motorway A4, just past the bridge over the Wisła river and the Tyniec ramp, I was coming back from work and overtook a car which turned out to be a unmarked squad car. 184 in a 140 (115 mph in a 90 mph zone)

Ticket: 300 złoty (around $100)

Another anekdote, some time ago I was driving my aunt who was on hoilday from the US back from Zakopane, and because of the road construction (which happens all over Poland lately - was about time..) highway 7 (Zakopianka) was experiencing 3 hours+ travel time back in to Kraków.
So, I took the back roads through the villages back.
Now, Polish villages are often a road, with houses on both sides, but no blocks or anything. A village can be three miles long and two houses wide... So, few people actually slow down when they see the built-up area sign, unless there's police or slow-moving other traffic...
At one point she asked me what a particular sign meant, so I asked her which sign, which she pointed out again. I told her it was a school zone, and the speed limit was 40 kph (25 mph)
My speedometer was at that point at a solid 120 (75) but she didn't say anything. I did notice she started watching anything alone that road more carefully, until we got overtaken in the next village by someone driving at least 150 (95) in a Mercedes. Then, after coming home she told me to promise her to never, ever give her my car while on holiday, because she seriously thinks she would die on the roads here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive