Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2011, 02:49 PM

30,703 posts, read 79,429,689 times

Advertisements

GM has their new Spark downstairs at the Ren Cen. It is just a little car that looks like a mini fiesta. Gas version this year, all electric in 2013. Range: 35 miles (what good is that?).

There is also a really weird little thing that looks like a yellow praying mantis head. There is no sign, so I do not know what it is. There is no steering wheel. It is smaller than a smart car. It looks like it only has two wheels. Seats two people. The seats are really high almost semi standing. It looks really comfortable. It is the smallest car (if it is a car) that I have ever seen. Anyone know what this could be?

They also have some new thing that is your basic economy car. Its claim to fame is that it is the safest of the little cars and has 10 airbags. Is this a competition? The next car will have 20 airbags, then 30. . . . Anyway i forget what it is called, the whole car is eminently forgettable. Mileage is not very exciting for a little thing like that. (25/35)

What is really neat is the rest of their display. Normally they have just current cars, but now they have some 1960s covertte concept cars, a 1914 mail car, an 1947 Chevy Truck and 1930s suburban. Lots and lots of really awesome classics and antiques in perfect condition. Except for some of the New Corvettes and the praying mantis head thing, the modern cars are mostly ugly and boring by comparison. They should title the display "We just don't make them like we used to"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 02:59 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,511,849 times
I posted this in the other thread...

Quote:
The weird car is the GM EN-V. It's a two seat "pod" prototype built by GM and Segway. It's a totally autonomous self-driving car. Think of the "pod cars" in "I Robot" or "Minority Report". It drives and parks itself and you can summon it with a phone call to come to your destination. They are currently developing a second prototype badged as a Chevrolet that will undergo field trials in several cities around the world, starting in China. They are looking at it becoming a more personal replacement for mass transit systems and the car is powered entirely by electric. They envision a fleet of EN-V's that transport people to destinations in major urban areas on demand.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:22 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,545,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
GM has their new Spark downstairs at the Ren Cen.
It is just a little car that looks like a mini fiesta. Gas version this year, all electric in 2013.
Range: 35 miles (what good is that?).
Enough to manage the common urban commuter's daily less than 15 mile trip each way
+ a 5 mile side trip with room to spare before getting home to recharge.

Quote:
What is really neat is the rest of their display.
Normally they have just current cars, but now they have some 1960s covertte concept cars,
a 1914 mail car, an 1947 Chevy Truck and 1930s suburban.
Grab the '47 pick up for me... OK?
I'll put in my own 283 later.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:34 PM

30,703 posts, read 79,429,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Enough to manage the common urban commuter's daily less than 15 mile trip each way
+ a 5 mile side trip with room to spare before getting home to recharge.

Grab the '47 pick up for me... OK?
I'll put in my own 283 later.
I will take it when I grab my 1968 Corvette Manta Ray. Maybe I can toss that praying mantis head thing in the bed. I wonder if it actually functions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive