U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2011, 02:41 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,084,347 times

Advertisements

Hi all -

Just need to see what people think or feel about motorcyclists that insist on tailgating cars/trucks/etc. Obviously it's dangerous, my sister-in-law is a motorcycle instructor, and she says that she cannot emphasize this enough in her classes.

Last night I was tailgated mercilessly by a motorcyclist, who eventually passed me on a rural back road. He was swerving behind me, as if I was going way too slow, and he was actually scaring me half to death for some reason. (I guess I scare easily)

I know there's really nothing I can do, as I am in the heavier vehicle and maybe he was in a rush, but this happens often especially on busy roads.

And I am not against motorcyclists either, not ALL of them do this, just ones that are in a rush I suppose. I would LOVE to be able to learn to ride a motorcycle sometime when the time presents itself.

Just wanted to see how people react to that. Oh, and I am totally used to cars wanting to tail me, I just slow down. But a motorcycle is a lot different.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 03:01 PM

12,558 posts, read 16,652,545 times
I wouldn't worry about it. Darwin's Law usually reduces the number of these idiots in the population.

I once had had a fellow on one of those zero-to-100-mph-in-a-second bikes try to zip around me on the left as I was making a left turn. He may have been okay but the weight of a passenger behind the driver of a motorcycle becomes a considerable pushing force to the driver when he hits an immovable object. This poor fellow did live to reproduce though.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:04 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,747,775 times
Some people just don't value life very much.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:15 PM

4,464 posts, read 9,991,978 times
Well, they're obviously dumb, or don't quite understand how physics work, but other than that, I don't think it should worry you, if they're clearly impatient you can always take the 20 seconds it takes to slow down and pull to the side to let them pass, after all, it's not your job to be the speed police, nor to make sure they get home in one piece.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:18 PM

26,519 posts, read 62,925,435 times
Tailgating by anyone makes me extremely angry. To me it is a direct threat to my life and the lives of my passengers. Virtually nothing else makes me angry about driving, I do not get made if people make a mistake, drive too slow, swerve around, leave their brights on, do not use turn signals. I may think they are stupid or annoying, but I do not get mad. Tailgating makes me furious. If I ever get out and beat the snot out of someone's vehicle with a baseball bat, it will be due to tailgating. Motorcycles are not different than cars in that regard, although it may be harder to find a place to hit a motorcycle with a bat and not injure the rider.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:23 PM

11,787 posts, read 13,354,247 times
I get that from time to time. I think the most repeat offenders are those that ride Japanese crotch rockets against people who drive reasonably fast cars. As if they are trying to intimidate or goad you into a race. They typically sit right on the the corner of your bumper so they fill up your driver side mirror. When you don't bite because it is fruitless (unless you are packing 600-900whp+ and you ride around on slicks all the time) they eventually go WOT and scrape by you as close as they can as if you were holding them up the whole time. Whatever.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:24 PM

1,480 posts, read 4,479,701 times
I look out for motorcycles when I'm pulling onto a right of way. I give them extra space when I'm behind them knowing they can stop a lot faster than I can. Other than that, I ignore them. If they want to tailgate me or weave through traffic then more power to them. I figure if they're anticipating my driving behavior, then for their sake I drive as predictably as possible which is to say as if I don't even see them.

When a big truck rides my a$$, now that's another story.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:28 PM

12,558 posts, read 16,652,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Some people just don't value life very much.
I don't think that valuing life has as much to do with it as youthful ignorance of the extreme range of pain levels that can exist in human accidents.

A now deceased old Harley riding uncle once told me that, when you ride a bike, it's not if you will have an accident; it's when you have one; so why rush it.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:33 PM

28,487 posts, read 62,101,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlecrazy View Post
Just need to see what people think or feel about motorcyclists that insist on tailgating cars/trucks/etc.
The vehicle being used is immaterial.
The issue is the *relationship* between the several vehicles in proximity to each other

Quote:
Last night I was tailgated...
...who eventually passed
He was swerving behind me, as if I was going way too slow
You probably were going too slow...
or at least not making even the minor accommodations needed
to allow him to safely pass you when he first came up upon you.

Some states have made flashing hi-beams illegal.
That used to do a great job of giving other drivers a clue.

hth

Old 10-19-2011, 03:43 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,084,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The vehicle being used is immaterial.
The issue is the *relationship* between the several vehicles in proximity to each other

You probably were going too slow...
or at least not making even the minor accommodations needed
to allow him to safely pass you when he first came up upon you.

Some states have made flashing hi-beams illegal.
That used to do a great job of giving other drivers a clue.

hth
Well, to clarify a little, the road we were on was 35 mph and i was going about 40. It's a dark road with deer on it, so I had my high beams on as well as the motorcycle's light in all of my mirrors, just a tad too close. I could not pull over since the road has guardrails aligning it the whole time, until I came to my street (at this point he had already passed me).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or