Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 04:22 PM

225 posts, read 368,965 times

Advertisements

Hey again city-data. You know since many of you guys and insurance co killed my dreams for a new car I wanted it (Jaguar) .. lol . I decided to go with something more collegiate.

Since that time I have been really looking around and also built more money up for the down payment.

So I have come down to three potential decisions:

A 2007 Pontiac g6 convertible : 45k miles. very cool looking. + a convertible
A 2008 Nissan Altima coupe: 40k. it has great looks.
a 2005 Infiniti g35 coupe: 55k miles on it.

They all look great. I actually went to the dealers to see the cars/ test drive them and so on. After that I am very torn at this point. lol

SO which would be the best fit for a college student.
Is okay to get a Pontiac since they aren't made anymore? which one is the cheapest for up-kept..

All opinions are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 04:56 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,673,758 times
Nissan.

Quick thoughts on why: Less expensive to insure than Infiniti and probably the Pontiac, especially if it's a 4 cylinder Altima; will probably not be almost fully depreciated due to age when you go to trade it in in several years (a 7 year old Nissan has a wider appeal than a 10 year old Infiniti, so is easier to sell); better long term reliability due to less age and mileage; Won't require special care and storage due to it being a convertible--not that there's anything wrong with that, but a garage is recommended to extend the life of the top; Most luxury car buyers are well into middle age and beyond, so an Infiniti does not evoke a "collegiate" image--not unlike a Jaguar in that regard.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:09 PM

225 posts, read 368,965 times
So the g6 has to be covered even if its a hard top convertible??

I was leaning on the Altima as well.
But will that be very expenses, if say the push to start doesnt work or something

Yeah just to get me through college: I wanted something newer so It will defiantly be a trade-in in a couple of years. And I have saved up a good deal of money too. So i should have 2/3 financed by myself.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:36 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
No. You do not need to keep a G-6 covered any more than any other car. However you do need to keep the mechanism lubricated. The G-6 is not a great car, but that hard top system is really neat. That will be a classic in ten years. I wish they had that for the G-8.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:53 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,856,481 times
Prices being equal I say the Nissan, probably more reliable (assuming all 3 were maintained equally) and better resale, in case needed.

Also this is assuming on your test drive they all felt equally good. Should probably get the car inspected by your mechanic before you buy.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:23 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,647,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
No. You do not need to keep a G-6 covered any more than any other car. However you do need to keep the mechanism lubricated. The G-6 is not a great car, but that hard top system is really neat. That will be a classic in ten years. I wish they had that for the G-8.
I have a 2007 G6 sedan, and my mom actually leased a 2k7 G6 convertable.

My G6 has been great to me. I know I am biased. People have had issues with them. G6Performance.com is a website for G6 owners, lots of pics and conversations about the car, I would lurk around there. The car isn't a savior of all cars, but its also usually priced accordingly. I have done nothing but tires, brakes, and fluids in it, currently has 60k miles on it. Well one windshield but that was a rock chip, and some mountain driving and below freezing conditions. I have a 3.5L v6, 224 hp, I get about 22-24 combined, have gotten as high as 36 on the highway, but more like 28-30. Gunning it in the city will get you about 20mpg. Its a In block cam, loosely passed off of the 60* v6s GM had, (2.8, 3.1, 3.4, 3100, 3400, etc... that gm has used for decades) Overall I liked it over most traditional fwd sedans. I was looking hard at it and the Mazda 6 and Fusion.

My mom had a low mileage lease 2007 convertable, car was nearly new going back in. Never gave her any issues, but the top would worry me. It is awesome but long term, it might be the downfall of the car. Its a badass system to watch it go through sequence. But once again. Lots of moving parts and lots to go wrong.

It is cool though. Also something I thought wierd, is its good for a nice ride, but the windows seal up into the roof, so you open the door they drop and then open(like the corvette and some other cars). Just seemed like something that will fail.

Don't let the "they don't make them anymore" argument come up, parts are fine and will be fine. Its the same basic architecture as many other GM vehicles, including the new Malibu. The stigma of not being able to get parts is nice because it dropped the price and you can get a nice car for a great price.

Honestly though, if you were set on a convertable, they are great cars.

Roof opening.

Pontiac G6 Hardtop Convertible in action at NAIAS - YouTube

Also my G6, I think its sportyish, (no 3 series beamer, but not a tan, with tan interior Camry that makes me want to fall asleep everyday I drive it)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/29488_398649948801_533343801_4271843_8140167_n.jpg (broken link)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/5848_122136718801_533343801_2410563_1347517_n.jpg (broken link)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/29488_398649963801_533343801_4271845_1728220_n.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-19-2011, 06:27 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,647,833 times
Also my hardtop g6 is pretty damn cheap to insure, not sure on convertable. Altima is a 3.5L v6? or something else? The 3.5L VQ engine is a good engine.

Personally looking at your list, the nicest, "best" car is the G35, but whats the price, and it is the older. A 6 year old car. So needs to be taken into account vs the others.

Also the G6 has a 5 yr 100k mile drivetrain warranty with the factory if that means anything....

Old 10-19-2011, 06:33 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,673,758 times
I didn't know the G6 was a hardtop. I actually think it would be a pretty cool car, even if it wasn't the absolute greatest thing on four wheels. I like convertibles, and hardtop convertibles are even cooler.

Luxury cars don't appeal to me any more than "regular" cars though. I think they're a waste of money for a working person, because you can get similar quality, reliability, and most of the same features for less in a high-trim version of a regular brand. I leave the luxury brands for people who have their financial ducks in a row and have the money to waste. (Most people meeting that description are older.)

Old 10-19-2011, 07:12 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeStudentinAtl View Post
Hey again city-data. You know since many of you guys and insurance co killed my dreams for a new car I wanted it (Jaguar) .. lol . I decided to go with something more collegiate.

Since that time I have been really looking around and also built more money up for the down payment.

So I have come down to three potential decisions:

A 2007 Pontiac g6 convertible : 45k miles. very cool looking. + a convertible
A 2008 Nissan Altima coupe: 40k. it has great looks.
a 2005 Infiniti g35 coupe: 55k miles on it.

They all look great. I actually went to the dealers to see the cars/ test drive them and so on. After that I am very torn at this point. lol

SO which would be the best fit for a college student.
Is okay to get a Pontiac since they aren't made anymore? which one is the cheapest for up-kept..

All opinions are greatly appreciated.
With your stage in life, get the G6 convertible. You're only young once, HAVE FUN!

You have the rest of your life to drive boring sedans and (if you do well) luxury vehicles! Those G6 hardtop convertibles are cheap to maintain, parts are plentiful.

The Altima is a nice vehicle but it's pretty boring/ordinary- life's just too short to drive an appliance.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:48 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,079,146 times
I'd go with the G35. Fairly reliable, great on power and has great driving feel. I just sold my G35 a little over a month ago to pick up a new car but it was a great way to spend 3 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive