Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 09:39 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,355,088 times

Advertisements

They did okay for me. I am very happy with my CRV I bought from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 10:03 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,134,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
What do you guys think of this place?
I went there last year to get an offer on a ford exporer 02 model.
They told me there wasnt a big market for them and the miles were kind of high.
Only like 80K or something. They offered me 2000 on it and I sold it for $3700 on Craigslist easily. Are they just trying to take advantage of lazy people?
I recently got a quote for a used lexus that was loaded and they offered me top dollar. Maybe it just depends on the type/demand for the car.
Curious what you think Carmax should have given you considering they need to make a profit.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:03 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,857,850 times
My experience of shopping at their stores has not been good. I have seen cars with major accident repair and cars that needed work. There is no maintenance records either which in some case (timing belt) could be expensive. The cars are all well represented and clean, that doesn't mean they have not had a rough past. Buyer beware, it is just a used car lot. Also their no negotiation gig got to me. They are asking %20 above everybody else and pretending that they are giving the car so cheap that they won't even negotiate a bit-give me a break.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:59 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,647,833 times
Buddy of mine just got offered $12,500 for a 2007 FJ cruiser in rough condition. Branch scratch marks down the side and THe engine broke a cam, which he had to fix himself. He thought at best he would get $8k, also all the maintenance stuff is coming do. Has 105k on it. I mean they are decent vehicles but I guess Tue reliable Toyota stigma keeps the price inflated.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:09 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,083,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
I haven't dealt with them but my ex g/f did while we were dating....she bought her truck at the one in Raleigh, NC.

When the engine blew up in her truck, and it was still under warranty, they refused to honor said warranty, insisting she somehow was responsible for the damage, albeit she had regular maintenance done on it when it was required and she didn't drive it like a bat out of hell either.

So that right there, tells me to steer clear of them.
Their cars are not the cheapest, either. You can find better deals if you you know what you want and you shop around, and, quite frankly, I think that haggling is part of the car buying tradition. Who ever said haggling was a bad thing? I guess you're paying for the convenience, sort of like I mentioned earlier with selling to CarMax.

My wife and my in-laws have had pretty fair dealings with them when it came to the extended warranties, so I can't say that I relate to your issue. I'm not a fan of extended warranties, personally. I don't think I'd buy a car from them anyway based on their higher and firm price point.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Curious what you think Carmax should have given you considering they need to make a profit.
That's a good point. You may not be buying from them, but they're essentially giving you trade-in value so that's what you should expect. There's a reason why KBB gives you different values for the type of transaction.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:26 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,025 times
I checked the KBB values and they offered me way less , so I felt they were ripping me off..I could care less about their profit margin , so I did it myself and got a lot more for it.
The whole thing with buying their used cars is that you have to take from what they have in inventory at their price. I decided to just go new and have my pick at the inventory and about same price.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:30 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,134,620 times
So because a company tries to make money (and stay in business) you think they are ripping you off? Interesting philosophy.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:29 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,025 times
U miss my point..I noted the value for my car per KBB was much higher than what they were offering me.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
I checked the KBB values and they offered me way less , so I felt they were ripping me off..I could care less about their profit margin , so I did it myself and got a lot more for it.
Did you check the KBB trade-in value and give your car a fair assesment of the condition? Maybe you did... regardless, I'd say "ripping you off" is a bit of an exageration. You may not care about their margin, but companies live and die by it. You're right not to care about their magin though - if they were willing to haggle then knowing it might be helpful.

With the availability of information these days, there's no reason for a consumer to go into a deal unprepared. Who is CarMax preying on, the lazy and uninformed? More power to them. It sounds like you did your research and chose the best option for your situation. There are people who are more eager to unload their car and willing to take a hit on it just to have it off their hands.

If you can't reach a mutually agreable deal with someone then you part ways and don't do business, it doesn't mean that one person was trying to rip the other off, per se. I think that term gets used too loosely these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive