Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 07:53 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,343,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranosb View Post
I think they would give you a much better price for a trade in then a dealer, but CPO cars from dealers will give you a 12 mon/12k warranty with a used car offered by THE MANUFACTURER.

I see Carmax will give you a 30day warranty which is useless, what kind of extended warranty do they offer and is it as good as one from the manufacturer?
Some used cars I see offered by carmax or dealers are only 2 or 3k less then a used one, seems better to just go with a new car on models that fall into that category.

Whats the difference from buying new from Carmax then from a dealer? I see new 2013 Toyota Corollas for $16,898 and the dealers price is only about $800 off MSRP of $19,200?
The extended warranty covers more than most CPO plans, essentially everything that isn't wear and tear items, regular maintenance or body panels is covered.

You also have to know which cars to buy there. BMW's for instance are very competitively priced, particularly compared to CPO vehicles from the dealer. (And yes, that is when you add the ESP in the price)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 10:49 PM

316 posts, read 660,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
The extended warranty covers more than most CPO plans, essentially everything that isn't wear and tear items, regular maintenance or body panels is covered.

You also have to know which cars to buy there. BMW's for instance are very competitively priced, particularly compared to CPO vehicles from the dealer. (And yes, that is when you add the ESP in the price)
So your saying the price difference is the extended warranty?
Carmax only sells used cars correct? So this 2013 listing below is used cars, but are listed as NEW? Would those cars not already have their manufacturer warranty of 36k/3yrs, so why the extended warranty? The list MSRP on these cars by dealers are $19,200, which the dealer prices/sells at around $800 less.

The carmax cars are $2,200 less then from a dealer? Whats the difference in the cars?

Search results at carmax.com

Old 11-20-2012, 12:53 AM

The 2013 Toyota Corolla's are $16,898 for the 36k/3yr manufacturer warranty or you can extend it up to 8 years/125,000 miles. Don't know how much more extra for the 8yr/125k coverage though.
Has anyone bought a NEW car like this from Carmax, instead of from the dealer, its $2,200 less then the MSRP of $19,200.

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/...7-42f9c3f00721

Old 11-20-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
So your saying the price difference is the extended warranty?
Carmax only sells used cars correct? So this 2013 listing below is used cars, but are listed as NEW? Would those cars not already have their manufacturer warranty of 36k/3yrs, so why the extended warranty? The list MSRP on these cars by dealers are $19,200, which the dealer prices/sells at around $800 less.

The carmax cars are $2,200 less then from a dealer? Whats the difference in the cars?

Search results at carmax.com
Some Carmax locations are new car dealerships, they predominantly sell used cars, the Toyota you found is the exception.

To clarify: Yes, any remaining manufacturers warranty WILL transfer, this is true for ANY brand and ANY dealership, used car lot or private sale.

What I was trying to say, is that Carmax, like any other place, is more competitively priced on some items and not so much on others, depending on market swings.

Example: This 2010 BMW 335i Coupe is priced at $36200, this is with the CPO plan up to 6/100k (From date of new car sale, correct me if I'm wrong).

This 2010 BMW 335i Coupe with lower miles, from Carmax is priced at $31,998, an ESP for this vehicle would run up to 125k miles (on odometer) or 6 years from the date of purchase, the price would vary depending on which one chosen, but even the most expensive one should land you under the price of the comparable dealership option, on average I would calculate $2500 for the ESP plan, making the price $34,498, still $1800 off the dealer car, and with a warranty plan that covers a lot more.

With that said, not all cars and all brands are priced equally competitive, which is why you'd want to do your research and shop around, but I don't agree with those who say Carmax is exclusively for people who don't know any better or are ripping people off. Like any company, it has good sides and bad sides, and you just need to know what to buy there and what to avoid.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:16 PM

What about cars that show in the history report "Loan/Lien record(s)"? How do you know if its just a history of a lien, or if there still is a lien on the car? Can a dealer sell you a car with a lien on it legally?

Old 11-20-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
What about cars that show in the history report "Loan/Lien record(s)"? How do you know if its just a history of a lien, or if there still is a lien on the car? Can a dealer sell you a car with a lien on it legally?
I doubt it, that line is included more for people buying private party, in case a private seller lied about it.

Carmax, like any other dealer will pay off the lien when they take the trade/purchase the car.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:41 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,589,402 times
I looked at a new Frontier from the dealer, never have I been lied to so much in one hour. Racist comments, too. I went to the office for a little preliminary haggling, when they started going UP on the prices it was time to walk away. I think I would have paid money to NOT deal with those folks.

Next step I looked at Carmax and they had a truck with 7K miles for 15K as opposed to 20K new sticker price. It had the options I wanted and most importantly didn't have the ones I didn't want. Of course it had to be trucked in. Main flaw was the bed was scratched up, which I don't recall if they disclosed but it was a work truck so I don't care.

The only wierd thing was they tried to pressure me to use their financing. I had a pre-approved check from my credit union and wasn't about to sign papers on another loan even if they SAID i could pay them off right away. What's up with that?

Old 11-21-2012, 08:30 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,880,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I looked at a new Frontier from the dealer, never have I been lied to so much in one hour. Racist comments, too. I went to the office for a little preliminary haggling, when they started going UP on the prices it was time to walk away. I think I would have paid money to NOT deal with those folks.

Next step I looked at Carmax and they had a truck with 7K miles for 15K as opposed to 20K new sticker price. It had the options I wanted and most importantly didn't have the ones I didn't want. Of course it had to be trucked in. Main flaw was the bed was scratched up, which I don't recall if they disclosed but it was a work truck so I don't care.

The only wierd thing was they tried to pressure me to use their financing. I had a pre-approved check from my credit union and wasn't about to sign papers on another loan even if they SAID i could pay them off right away. What's up with that?
Dealers always require a buyer to fill out loan papers even if they have their own financing. The reason is simple. There is no guarantee you will get a loan from your source, so if your loan falls through, they still have you..! If your loan comes through, they tear their loan docs up. They aren't in the business of giving cars away, so they make sure they have you covered, just in case...

Old 11-21-2012, 03:39 PM

24,466 posts, read 25,999,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Dealers always require a buyer to fill out loan papers even if they have their own financing. The reason is simple. There is no guarantee you will get a loan from your source, so if your loan falls through, they still have you..! If your loan comes through, they tear their loan docs up. They aren't in the business of giving cars away, so they make sure they have you covered, just in case...
Would that apply even if he had a pre approved check?I have purchased used cars from dealers with just a credit card.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:04 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,674,787 times
I've always wondered how Circuit City could start a successful operation like Carmax, but couldn't figure out how to remain successful selling TVs....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive