Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 01:44 PM

244 posts, read 333,094 times

Advertisements

When I bought my used car a year ago, the tires on them were worn, so I asked them that they put a set of new tires for free. They sure did to get that sale.

That was the first time I ever heard of Tiger Paw tires.... I don't know anything about tires. I had Khumo's (spell?) on my old Mustang and they did fine.

In the past few months, the tire on the right rear side has been losing air consistently. I have to fill air every few weeks. It doesn't go completely flat in a short time or anything, it just slowly loses air over time.

I haven't run over anything unusual although I might have gone over a high bump or rubbed against a curb few times.

Do you think I should get the tire checked and is there any tire place that will do that for free? How long would these tires last?..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 01:58 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,047,755 times
What kind of a tire did you expect "for free"? Of course nothing in the marketplace is free, you bargained for replacement tires (and neglected to do you due diligence that you would actually get good tires) rather than a lower price.

That said, if these are Uniroyals, who at least used to make the "Tiger Paw" tire, they should be decent.

It's not unusual to pick up a nail or similar in a back tire, and have a slow leak. Proper repair of this sort of thing means dismounting the tire, verifying no sidewall damage on the inside (a long nail in the wrong place can do that) and installing a mushroom-type plug as described on Tire Rack's website. You are not likely to get this for free, I have heard that one of the chains, maybe Discount Tire, will fix whatever you bring for free, but not certain. It's a promotional thing, a freebie to try to get your business. But any good shop will fix it right, assuming the leak is a nail or whatever, for about 20 bones.

So, where were the tires made? China, USA, or where? What is the wear, temp, and traction rating printed on the sidewall?

Money's tight all over, but man up and learn something about tires, and quit asking for a free lunch.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:04 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,218,555 times
Besides what M3 said, the valve stem could be leaking, or there may be rust on the rim that keeps the bead from seating perfectly, thereby allowing air to leak out.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:14 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,867,663 times
There's a place here in Kentucky that offers free flat repair.

I can get you their address if you'd like.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:32 PM

Yes, that's what I get for being cheap... I'll study more about my tires.. I'm still learning about my car in general. I know enough to get annoyed about certain inconveniences about my car. When I get new tires in the future, I'll be sure to do a lot of research. They just need to be affordable unfortunately.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
There's a place here in Kentucky that offers free flat repair.

I can get you their address if you'd like.
Oh sure, if my car can make it to Kentucky without a flat.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:14 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,824,867 times
uniroyal tires are pretty good, at least they were back in the day. the tiger paw line was the top of the line uniroyal at the time iirc.

as for the tires slowly losing air, chances are you picked up a small nail or a screw. and it is also possible that the valve stem is faulty, or the bead is not sealing like it should. what you can do is take the tire off the car, and using some soapy water in a squirt bottle, spray the tire down and look for bubbles. mark the area(s) with a grease pen so that when you go to the local tire store, they have an idea of where the leaks are. i suggest a big o tire store since they are more likely to fix the tire than try to sell you a new one, depending on where the leak is.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:27 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,773,298 times
Wasn't Tiger Paw what some new GM vehicles came with off the lot?

Old 10-21-2011, 03:44 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,867,663 times
Anyone remember Uni, Roy and Al?

old Tiger Paw commercial

Uniroyal tires Commercial - YouTube

Old 10-21-2011, 04:22 PM

wow, really? )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive