Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 09:53 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times

Advertisements

Sorry about that. I didn't mean to confuse the situation for you. Nothing wrong with taking the distribution from the estate and getting your own vehicle at all, since it does tend to simplify things in NYS. It can be a pain in the neck with closer states, as in NY-CT, but when dealing with GA, you would not want any hangups because of the distance involved.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 09:58 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,679,941 times
I told my brother to just send me my share when he is ready. no way should i have to go through this. I have high blood pressure and Diabetes so i am getting more agitated by the minute as i think about this.

i appreciate the advice and i learned something today

now i just hope my brother doesn't start questioning my decision...

Cheers!!

Old 10-24-2011, 10:04 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,223,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
I may be getting my deceased mom's 2011 Toyota RAV 4 or my brother's 2005 Subaru Forrester to replace my beloved 1992 Toyota Tercel which never seems to die. this is as part of the estate settlement
I havent been on here much lately, sorry to hear about the passing of your mother. I didnt know. I lost my grandfather back in August of this year. I really havent been on here much though.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:23 PM

Default i'm still partially open to

the idea of adding extra insurance to the car, driving the car back from Ga with the Ga plates on it(despite the risk from NYPD parking), then going to the NY DMV to register the car in my name

the plates will still be on my 92 tercel when i get back and the tercel will still be covered.

will NY DMV permit me to use the plates from the tercel to put on on the RAV 4 or the Subaru? or will i have to get new plates altogether?

the above scenario seems doable

but what you mentioned about the other option just doesn't sink in at all.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:43 PM

he only hangup I could see in the bureaucracy would be the title. You would need it in hand for proof of ownership in NYS, showing it transferred to you. It might be easier to do it in Georgia, since then everything would be in your name. All you would then need to do is transfer it once in NY. It should not be too complicated.**so i go to the Ga DMV with my brother who has a title to the car and we transfer it over to me, then when i come to NY i take that title to show NY DMV??**

Yes, if you keep the Tercel, you would then be able to sell it while on the GA plates. I don't think you'd have too much trouble for a few days at all, just an extended period of time might call the car into question. Since it's your brother, that would not be a big issue, though when selling a car, you should always take your plates off the second the ownership changes hands. Having the title in hand from GA with the temporary plates would eliminate any chance of a problem because your brother would need to keep the car registered to him in GA for you to use the plates until you got the car back to NY.**how can the tercel be on Ga plates if it has NY plates on it??. are you referring to the tercel sitting there with no plates? i want it to sit there with plates on it the whole time. i am totally lost by this paragraph**

If you were parked off-street, then you would not have too many problems, and could take the plates off, send them to GA, get the title, etc. But, since the car is parked on the street, you would need to eliminate the potential of a problematic delay, hence the suggestion to transfer everything in GA. It is a simple transaction, though, to do that at the DMV there, just a wait time to get to the window, etc.**no idea about this one either. i need a doctorate to understand this one!!**

In these days of NYS ticket writers, they'd probably give you bogus tickets for not moving for alternate side regulations, etc. I have known people with out-of-city cars and/or rentals to get tickets five minutes before the regulation comes into effect. That sort of thing could be an issue with a car that's registered in GA. Again, I was giving a worst-case scenario because that would be a pain in the neck to straighten out, especially with the Subaru transferring ownership. The fewer dealings with NYPD traffic agents, the better. **the only alternate side regs here are on B'way Thursday from 11:30 AM-1PM. otherwise it's free and clear parking, especially on side streets like 252 street Lakeview and Post Rd. what could the cops really get me on as long i'm legally parked??**

If you bring a car back from GA on temporary plates, you can then sell the Tercel, take the plates to the DMV and transfer them to the car from GA. You have to go there anyway to turn in the plates once you sell the car, but the temporary plates would give you a couple of weeks to take care of that. Just have everything you need with you for registering in NYS, like the inspection completed, all forms filled out, etc. Do you have a buyer for the Tercel lined up, or would you be advertising it for sale once you return with the other car? The key would be to know how long the Georgia temporary plates are good for, so that you know how much time you have to get everything sorted.**I understand this paragraph better than the other two**

The worst part would actually be driving the car back from GA. If the Subaru is in good shape, it might be worth the hassle, and there is a degree of hassle when dealing with two DMVs.**i'm told the Subaru is in good shape**

Old 10-24-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
he only hangup I could see in the bureaucracy would be the title. You would need it in hand for proof of ownership in NYS, showing it transferred to you. It might be easier to do it in Georgia, since then everything would be in your name. All you would then need to do is transfer it once in NY. It should not be too complicated.**so i go to the Ga DMV with my brother who has a title to the car and we transfer it over to me, then when i come to NY i take that title to show NY DMV??** Yes, as the title would be transferred to you in GA.

Yes, if you keep the Tercel, you would then be able to sell it while on the GA plates. I don't think you'd have too much trouble for a few days at all, just an extended period of time might call the car into question. Since it's your brother, that would not be a big issue, though when selling a car, you should always take your plates off the second the ownership changes hands. Having the title in hand from GA with the temporary plates would eliminate any chance of a problem because your brother would need to keep the car registered to him in GA for you to use the plates until you got the car back to NY.**how can the tercel be on Ga plates if it has NY plates on it??. are you referring to the tercel sitting there with no plates? i want it to sit there with plates on it the whole time. i am totally lost by this paragraph** Sorry, I was typing quickly while distracted. The Subaru would be on GA plates, and the Tercel remains on your existing NYS plates until sold.

If you were parked off-street, then you would not have too many problems, and could take the plates off, send them to GA, get the title, etc. But, since the car is parked on the street, you would need to eliminate the potential of a problematic delay, hence the suggestion to transfer everything in GA. It is a simple transaction, though, to do that at the DMV there, just a wait time to get to the window, etc.**no idea about this one either. i need a doctorate to understand this one!!** Since the vehicle has to remain registered in GA, the title cannot be transferred to you while using the plates, unless you transfer the registration to your name at his address. That could pose a problem in transferring the car to NYS, which is why it could sit off the street until that step was done. It creates an extra complication.

In these days of NYS ticket writers, they'd probably give you bogus tickets for not moving for alternate side regulations, etc. I have known people with out-of-city cars and/or rentals to get tickets five minutes before the regulation comes into effect. That sort of thing could be an issue with a car that's registered in GA. Again, I was giving a worst-case scenario because that would be a pain in the neck to straighten out, especially with the Subaru transferring ownership. The fewer dealings with NYPD traffic agents, the better. **the only alternate side regs here are on B'way Thursday from 11:30 AM-1PM. otherwise it's free and clear parking, especially on side streets like 252 street Lakeview and Post Rd. what could the cops really get me on as long i'm legally parked??** Technically, they should not be doing so, and you could get the ticket thrown out, but there's an added hassle with respect to that. Again, that's worst-case scenario, likely not to happen, especially if you're on a non-alternate street.

If you bring a car back from GA on temporary plates, you can then sell the Tercel, take the plates to the DMV and transfer them to the car from GA. You have to go there anyway to turn in the plates once you sell the car, but the temporary plates would give you a couple of weeks to take care of that. Just have everything you need with you for registering in NYS, like the inspection completed, all forms filled out, etc. Do you have a buyer for the Tercel lined up, or would you be advertising it for sale once you return with the other car? The key would be to know how long the Georgia temporary plates are good for, so that you know how much time you have to get everything sorted.**I understand this paragraph better than the other two**

The worst part would actually be driving the car back from GA. If the Subaru is in good shape, it might be worth the hassle, and there is a degree of hassle when dealing with two DMVs.**i'm told the Subaru is in good shape**
Answers in blue above.

City-Data FAQs

Old 10-24-2011, 11:11 PM

To transfer the Subaru, these would be the basic steps:

1. In Georgia, complete bill of sale and required DMV forms.
2. Call your insurance agent to get the Subaru covered on your policy.
3. Drive car to New York with coverage on your policy.
4. Sell Tercel.
5. Remove Tercel from your insurance policy.
6. Transfer plates from Tercel to Subaru when registering at NYS DMV. (At this point you are the owner of the Subaru)
7. You then have 10 days to get the required NYS inspections.

Under this scenario, you may not have title until the car is transferred to NYS. The complication can come into play because of the distance involved, and delays for signatures on forms, if so required by the DMV.

Now, this is where it can be complicated, but if handled like a sale, instead of a gift between family members, you would add the following steps:

1. In Georgia, complete bill of sale and required DMV forms.
2. Existing registration on the Subaru is canceled, and you are issued temporary plates in GA for the Subaru, registered to you in NY. (At this point, you are the owner of the Subaru)

3. Call your insurance agent to get the Subaru covered on your policy.
4. Drive car to New York with coverage on your policy.
5. You would have temporary plates to get the Tercel sold, to transfer your plates to the Subaru.
6. Sell Tercel.
7. Remove Tercel from your insurance policy.
8. Transfer plates from Tercel to Subaru when registering at NYS DMV.
9. You then have 10 days to get the required NYS inspections, safety and emissions.

This sequence would give you title in hand in Georgia to the Subaru. The Georgia title signed over to you would also be acceptable, with a bill of sale. NYS DMV will want both, and they keep originals, so make copies.

ETA: Again, I apologize for the confusion. And, no, I don't work for the DMV writing policy.

City-Data FAQs

Last edited by bmwguydc; 10-24-2011 at 11:28 PM..

Old 10-24-2011, 11:33 PM

i understand it better but really it's a big hassle. still not worth it.

i would only do it if he was comfortable with my driving it up here with it still in his name and i would register it here

i can still do that right?

what if i don't have a required document in Ga at the DMV? Im sunk. i then made a trip for nothing. i don't need this to be happening

not comfortable with this distance thing and pressure for sigs.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:38 PM

again thanks. the only acceptable option would be for me to drive it up with the car in his name then do the stuff at DMV

even that doesn't seem very attractive

would i need a copy of his title if i did it this way?

Old 10-25-2011, 01:07 AM

The Georgia title would be necessary as it would have to be transferred to New York. You would then get a New York title and registration for the vehicle.

Yes, that was my fear of the bureaucracy, not having something on hand that either DMV required, which could throw a monkey wrench into the whole process because of the distance involved.

City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive