Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 03:16 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,133,221 times

Advertisements

According to 'Consumer Reports:

Consumer Reports Names Most Reliable Cars of 2011 - Yahoo! Autos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 03:55 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,532,965 times
So Japanese 9 out of the first 10....Ford got drilled, Germans lag...seems business as usual lol

Old 10-25-2011, 04:34 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
I'm surprised to see Jeep move up so much. Maybe Chrysler's push for quality was actually real this time...

Old 10-25-2011, 05:29 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,956,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I'm surprised to see Jeep move up so much. Maybe Chrysler's push for quality was actually real this time...
I'm surprised too...I may opt for the Jeep Cherokee over the Ford Escape. Or it really seems like with Ford if you get something that doesn't have the SYNC crap you'd be ok lol

Old 10-25-2011, 08:31 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times
I've got nothing but good to say regarding reliability on our Acura and Mazda. Both have been stellar. Looks like they are staying strong in this area. Interesting that so many european makes are utter crap. Yet they tend to be pricey. Huh.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:04 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,532,965 times
1. Scion
2. Lexus
3. Acura
4. Mazda
5. Honda
6. Toyota
7. Infiniti
8. Subaru
9. Nissan
10. Volvo
11. Hyundai
12. Kia
13. Jeep
14. ? Lincoln or Saab?
15. Chrysler
16. Volkswagen
17. Chevrolet
18. Mercedes-Benz
19. BMW
20. Ford
21. Dodge
22. GMC
23. Mini
24. Buick
25. Cadillac
26. Audi
27. Porsche
28. Jaguar

Old 10-26-2011, 01:03 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,266,293 times
This consumer report like most other reports is nothing short of a joke!

Old 10-26-2011, 02:46 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
This consumer report like most other reports is nothing short of a joke!
Word.

Last year Porsche was ranked number 2. This year Porsche is ranked number 27. Does anyone honestly think Porsche reliability and quality fell off a cliff in the past year or that the other brands mentioned were so improved that they all beat out Porsche?

No, the answer is that CR only had "data" for two Porsche models and one of them was the Cayenne that received "complaints" giving it a "terrible" debut year. Of course, none of that is actually quantified. Did people who buy Cayenne's this year simply complain about their lumbar support not having sufficient range or are they grenading transmissions and blowing head gaskets? I'm guessing more the former.

Also, with Scion being given the top spot, that is done based on the composite ratings of all the reviewed cars for the brand for which there is sufficient data. Scion has 3 models. Two of those models received great scores, the other one had "insufficient data". So, now that makes Scion the best? In their world it does and a company that had 15 models, 10 of which were highly rated and 5 average would be considered "worse" than Scion.

Don't forget this is the company that used to give the Toyota Matrix a "recommended" rating while giving the Pontiac Vibe a "poor" reliability rating. This despite the fact they are the same car built in the same plant. That's not even mentioning the fact that they used to wipe their rears with the Sebring, but now that Chrysler gussied it up and bought some subsciptions to their data, the 200 is now a wonderful car. Or, the perennial favorite of mine, the "recommended" and "high" reliability rating given to the Chevy Avalanche while they bash the Suburban and Silverado it shares everything with.

Last edited by NJGOAT; 10-26-2011 at 03:02 PM..

Old 10-26-2011, 02:58 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
I'm surprised too...I may opt for the Jeep Cherokee over the Ford Escape. Or it really seems like with Ford if you get something that doesn't have the SYNC crap you'd be ok lol
There's nothing wrong with SYNC and it's almost hard to find cars without it. What they are having issues with is the new MyTouch system. At last count I think they have issued 3 updates for it to correct issues. The system is incredibly advanced and is virtually a computer in your car, chances are it's going to need updates and revisions. The problem is everything is tied to it, so when it goes out or reboots the only thing you can do is drive and work the HVAC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I've got nothing but good to say regarding reliability on our Acura and Mazda. Both have been stellar. Looks like they are staying strong in this area. Interesting that so many european makes are utter crap. Yet they tend to be pricey. Huh.
My biggest issue with CR is their insistence on calling these survey's "reliability" surveys. That imparts the idea that they are talking about real things in the car such as the engine and transmission. The truth is they aren't and they base their study on people's responses. The German heavies like BMW, Mercedes and Audi always do poor in these surveys. It has nothing to do with the cars mechanically for the most part.

In general the bulk of consumer complaints against them are tied to the fact that the cars always feature new technology each year that can be buggy (BMW iDrive, Audi MMI for instance). They also don't control for the fact that people buying these cars tend to nitpick when there is a little something they don't like. For instance, someone could have complained that they don't like the HVAC controls because they preferred the chrome accents on the old model. That's a ding against the car.

I've seen some of the data responses from manufacturer reps and it's absolutely laughable what they get dinged with in these surveys. One of the ones I saw registered as a complaint was that the person didn't like the stitching style used in the leather. Seriously? We're considering this part of "reliability" data?

What it all comes down to is the more innovative the company in introducing new technologies, the more recent the model redesign or introduction, the worst they will do.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:22 PM

133 posts, read 173,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
So Japanese 9 out of the first 10....Ford got drilled, Germans lag...seems business as usual lol
I guess the Japanese makers paid off the right people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive