U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-27-2011, 05:10 AM

313 posts, read 239,648 times
Default Recognition for Cars Entering New Generations

Does anybody recognize whenever the design of a car make becomes newer during a certain year and earns more awards, recognition and reviews than it would if the same design was used continuously until the design changes again 4-6 years later? One recent example I noted was with the 2011 Hyundai Sonata, a future must-have on my list of cars to get for myself.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 05:35 AM

10,097 posts, read 13,056,276 times
If I understand you correctly are you stating when a manufacturer changes the design of a car for a new design? That is always exciting. Many cars over time have a design that gets old. I know that some makes seem to change every 4 to 6 years. Others like the VW Beetle are classic designs that will have few changes. I think the 2012 is the first real change since the new Beetle was reintroduced. VW wants to now go after the male end of the market and have changed the lines to a more sporty look and got rid of the flower holder inside the car. I think Honda changes the Accord every 4 years. The Sonata is a nice looking car. I like how it has developed over the years. I don't think that any car will earn too many awards for a design that is in its second year. They either get it that first year or they are out of luck. That is unless they develop some special car that has some additional styling changes. Take the 64 and a half Ford Mustang. That car was rolled out early to beat the 65 model year but was older than the current model year. The styling changes slightly in 1967. By 1969 the car was bigger and in my oppinion not as nice of looking car as the earlier models. That leads to an interesting note, up untill maybe mid 1970's cars for the most part changed styles much quicker. A good example is the 1955, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959 Chevy That car was transformed each year. I think back then that they would also have an unveiling at dealerships each year to show off the new skin.

What has happened is that the car companies realized that it cost money to change the style each year. If you can make the same car for 4 to 6 years and it sold then you have a hit.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:33 AM

313 posts, read 239,648 times
Yeah, that's what I mean. Using the same design a few years later and getting rewards happens, but I do notice it doesn't happen much. The selling part is what I'm more aware of. The Nissan Altima, another car on my list, doesn't get much rewards, but I do notice that it's usually in the top 10 every month or year when it comes to selling them. But it's also durable and a top safety pick.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:53 AM

13,569 posts, read 15,972,163 times
I'm not 100% sure what you are getting at, but most manufacturers follow a 4-6 year redesign cycle with a "freshening" in the middle of that time span. These freshenings can be as simple as some minor design tweaks and added options or they can be major changes like introduction of new powertrains.

In general totally redesigned cars (new platform, new styling, new engines, etc.) tend to garner the most attention and awards. Sometimes though, you will see vehicles gain a lot of attention at their freshenings. For instance, the Ford Fusion was extensively freshened in 2010 and became a highly regarded car. It still rode on the same platform and had virtually the same powertrains and even shared a lot of the styling, but it was a large enough update to garner attention.

On the Altima you mentioned, the current Altima went on sale in MY 2007. In MY 2010 it received a mid-model "facelift" that included some styling tweaks and changes in option packages. The Altima is getting a complete redesign for MY 2013. So, in the case of the Altima it is on a 6 year cycle and received an update at the beginning of year 4.

When it comes to resale, the newest versions generally command the higher price, but it depends on what was changed. There isn't much of a difference between a 2009 pre-facelift Altima and a 2010 Altima. However, there is a big difference between a 2009 Fusion and a 2010. It all comes down to what was changed.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:47 PM

11,201 posts, read 9,369,237 times
Drumming up excitement is what sells new cars, not how well they actually perform in real life. Car awards are not given to acknowledge or push the envelope on development, they are made up and given to sell cars.

Cars are so reliable these days because the engineering concept has already maxed out; you can only make a gasoline-powered vehicle on 4 wheels so good. Redesigns are almost purely superfluous now.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:50 PM

554 posts, read 845,128 times
Yeah I got my 11 Elantra earlier this year and it shares basically nothing with the 2010 model. It has different frame, engine, interior, styling and everything really. Now the 2012 model Elantra has minor treaks to the engine computer and steering and a few more options but its the same basic car.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:23 PM

3,383 posts, read 3,181,187 times
My thing with new hyundais, magazines and people are saying the new builds are more reliable... I still think its all too new to claim that. It's not like they are taking a trusted build and modifying, they are all new, which in its own should be a red flag for reliability until kinks are worked out.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive