Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 08:21 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,563,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Bland styling and performance compared to what its rival car manufactuers are putting out. Even the Kia Optima blows out the accord in looks and performance!
gottcha thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 08:40 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,990,394 times
Quote:
Bland styling and performance compared to what its rival car manufactuers are putting out. Even the Kia Optima blows out the accord in looks and performance!

I owned an 89 5-speed manual accord and that thing was a blast to drive. Today's 4cyl accords truly suck compared to what they were 10+ years ago.
I disagree slightly on the bland styling. I do not think it has attractive styling, or appealing styling, but I do find the current Accord to be immediately recognizable.

I prefer the styling over at Kia and Hyundai, or even Chevy on the Malibu. The new Fusion looks terrific (2013, not on street yet but saw it at the auto show earlier this year).

Old 05-18-2012, 09:42 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,709,761 times
I drove a 2011 Accord with the 4cyl. While it was a nice car, and comfortable, there is no way I would ever buy one with the 4cyl in it. It was like driving a car powered by a diseased hamster. No power at all, even compared to our 4cyl Camry (was in the bodyshop at the time), and certainly not compared to my Jeep. I would definitely have to get it with the V6 and a few options.

That said, I probably wouldn't buy it - If i was going to get another sedan, it would either be an Audi (AWD) or the Ford Fusion. I've driven a few of those and they're fantastic.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:54 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,566,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
I drove a 2011 Accord with the 4cyl. While it was a nice car, and comfortable, there is no way I would ever buy one with the 4cyl in it. It was like driving a car powered by a diseased hamster. No power at all, even compared to our 4cyl Camry (was in the bodyshop at the time), and certainly not compared to my Jeep. I would definitely have to get it with the V6 and a few options.

That said, I probably wouldn't buy it - If i was going to get another sedan, it would either be an Audi (AWD) or the Ford Fusion. I've driven a few of those and they're fantastic.

Lmao!!!!

Thanks for that! I needed a good laugh this morning. I'd have to say you hit nail on the head with the description of the power or should I say, lack there of. I was never a fan of 4cyl cars. Especially sedans. That's until I test drove my current car which is a 2008 Mazda3s. Great little car. The problem with the accord 4cyl's is that Honda is making the cars bigger and heavier while not giving it a substantial bump up in HP to accomadate the added size and weight of the vehicle.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:38 AM

9,816 posts, read 11,529,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderduder View Post
IMO the problem is that the competition cannot really prove itself, from a reliability perspective, until years add up. Ford, the Koreans and Audi all claim to have made massive strides in reliability and build quality. Many objective people tend to reiterate the possibility that this is true. Ford in particular has come a long way in the last ten years. But we just can't know until sufficient time passes.

I have a 99 Accord and had a 2008 Accord. The 99 Accord absolutely destroyed its "sister" in most meaningful ways. The materials were better, the dash was more intelligently selected, and the "hard" parts seemed better as well. The clutch on my 99 was in better shape after 220K miles and 13 years than my 08 was after 40K highway miles. My 08 also had three massive rips all over the back seats leather. Pathetic stuff right there...

The Korean models completely and utterly destroy the lazy, 20 year old technology Honda insults its' customers with. People are just afraid of the name, but that can change. Alas, will the Korean models really hold up far beyond their 10 year/100K mile warranty? My suspicion is probably, but I'm not willing to bet 30K on that suspicion.

My guess is that in 5 years when the other automakers prove themselves in the reliability department, Honda will be lower in the market than they are now; and that's pretty damn low. Basically every vehicle they put out is dated, uses poor materials, and sells for a premium price with the worst warranty in the business. They are relying exclusively on a reputation which is slowly dissipating.
year old post but spot on!
I've owned 5 honda's over years,and the 2008 accord v6 was the worst of the all.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:54 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,709,761 times
Quote:
Lmao!!!!

Thanks for that! I needed a good laugh this morning. I'd have to say you hit nail on the head with the description of the power or should I say, lack there of. I was never a fan of 4cyl cars. Especially sedans. That's until I test drove my current car which is a 2008 Mazda3s. Great little car. The problem with the accord 4cyl's is that Honda is making the cars bigger and heavier while not giving it a substantial bump up in HP to accomadate the added size and weight of the vehicle.
I'm a fan of the 4cyl in our Camry, but it's a 2004. When we drove one of the new ones (2010, I think), I was not impressed at all. So, if we ever got another Camry, that'll be a V6 as well. I'm not totally against 4 bangers, but I should not have to put my foot down to the floor so the car can get out of it's own way. The 4 banger in the Fusion isn't bad at all, though I think I'd still get the V6 for the smoothness.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:42 PM

815 posts, read 2,996,258 times
Quote:
I'm a fan of the 4cyl in our Camry, but it's a 2004. When we drove one of the new ones (2010, I think), I was not impressed at all. So, if we ever got another Camry, that'll be a V6 as well. I'm not totally against 4 bangers, but I should not have to put my foot down to the floor so the car can get out of it's own way. The 4 banger in the Fusion isn't bad at all, though I think I'd still get the V6 for the smoothness.
The reality is that 4 cylinder engines don't cut it when it comes to a car of its size and weight. The cars keep getting heavier (mostly due to crash regulations), and the engines don't get bigger due to CAFE (in the case of the upcoming Malibu no V-6 at all). Granted 4 cylinder engines are more powerful then ever, but physics are physics, the weight makes it so the 4 bangers don't get much better mileage then a V-6 in the same car. Mid size cars are big enough that a V-6 mileage will not be much worse then a 4 cylinder, making the disadvantages of the smaller engine not worth it.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:59 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,322,504 times
I purchased a Honda Accord EX in January 1991, I'm still driving the car, it has about 161,000 miles on it. I'm waiting to see what direction Honda will take the Accord in for model year 2013. I heard the car will be 4 inches shorter. I hope Honda doesn't do to the Accord what they did to the Acura RL in 2005.

I believe the best Accords ever built were the model years 1990 thru 1993. My Accord has been very reliability, but I feel the current Accord needs a major facelift in the area of styling.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:05 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,898,849 times
Quote:

Well Honda has always had problems with their V6 motors/transmissions, so I guess this would be a no buy for you.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:07 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,011,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
The reality is that 4 cylinder engines don't cut it when it comes to a car of its size and weight.
I disagree, I've driven most of these midsize cars as rentals and the 4-cylinder models are just fine. I wouldn't say that 10 years ago but steady improvements in power and the automatic transmissions have made a big difference. The fuel economy gains they've made in the mid-size segment in the last few years are just amazing. Look at the new 4-cyl Altima that (according to Nissan) will do 27mpg city / 38mpg highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura