Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 04:10 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times

Advertisements

i see your point. i'm not in manhattan tho i'm in an area that is nowhere near as congested tho my zip code has a high rate of burglary and thefts

i don't use the car for business i just commute with it about 8 miles round trip per day

would you consider a little new Toyota Yaris (subcompact) to be too nice for NY City?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 04:27 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
i see your point. i
would you consider a little new Toyota Yaris (subcompact) to be too nice for NY City?

I'd consider a new *anything* to be too nice for NYC.
see where I'm going here?

You have a known quantity in the beater you have. Let it ride.
Just like that other thread with Fern from Maine wanting a car for a college kid.
She already has all the car the kid needs.

Let some time go by.... maybe next spring? see how you feel.

Wanna have some fun?
Take your GF for a weekender in the Caribbean.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:39 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Two things come to mind with respect to the current Tercel. First, there is a possibility of other rust that may impact the structural underpinnings of the car. Second, in terms of safety, modern cars are much safer than the Tercel, though I know you're in a part of the city, and even neighborhood, that doesn't have the same level of lunatics on the road (save for Broadway).

The MINI can be good, but is pretty slow, unless it's an S. Check with your mechanic, though, to see if he could work on it easily, since some don't want to deal with BMWs. Stay away from any MINI with a CVT transmission as they are quite expensive to repair, on the order of thousands. The Solara is a good vehicle, as well, being the two-door version of the Camry. The new Bug has not been as reliable, but the Rabbit and newer Golf are solid small vehicles that you may consider. Another car that you might consider is the Volvo C30, which is the two-door hatchback. The S40 with the T5 engine is also a good choice in a compact vehicle, which can be had in either FWD or AWD versions. The only hesitation with the Volvo is that if it is not driven too much, it does tend to go through batteries, as I can attest with low-mileage examples in my own family that have needed batteries. I think I have three batteries in less than 17k miles on an AWD Volvo that I keep in the city, that performed flawlessly in last year's bilzzards.

If you don't want to take your brother's Forester, and I can understand that since it's very much a family wagon type vehicle, you may consider looking for an Impreza sedan or hatchback that's a bit more compact, yet has AWD as all Subarus are AWD. There are a myriad of vehicle out there that you may like, so I would test a few to see what one works best for you. I would even track down a Forester of the same vintage that you may get from your brother, too, so you can evaluate it to know what you want in a next car.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-04-2011, 08:45 PM

hey! will a dealer let me test drive a car without my discussing price? I don't want to because my haggling/negotiating skills are atrocious and i don't want to come off as an idiot or make them think they can get over

would it be rude to ask for a test drive and not sit down with them after?

Old 11-04-2011, 08:50 PM

doesn't look like i will be taking cars back with me. once i get the money from the estate i will then start looking for a new or good used car. right now my old car runs and rides like new

is the Condemi Motor Company in Lodi NJ still around? "Uncle Bernard" Meltzer the old WOR NY radio legal expert used to recommend the Condemi Motor Company on his call in shows. maybe i can get a good used car from them

Old 11-04-2011, 10:30 PM

Not rude at all to test drive the car, and then evaluate. I would go to a dealership in Westchester, Rockland, Fairfield, or NNJ as opposed to the Bronx, though, especially to test drive. You can find some reviews and narrow dealerships by make via dealer rater. Even if looking for a pre-owned vehicle, the franchised dealers of the make you want are generally a good place to start, especially for a certified example. A great place to visit to see many makes/models would be a Carmax, but the closest to the city is going to be in East Hartford, CT.

http://www.dealerrater.com/

City-Data FAQs

Old 11-05-2011, 07:18 AM

i think the CarMax is in E Haven(exit 51 off I 95) as opposed to Hartford. I spoke to some on the Conn board about taking a train to New Haven then getting picked up and taken to Car Max. I like the idea that you don't have to haggle over price but would a Conn dealer register the car at the NY DMV like NY dealers offer to do or would i have to do it myself? also having to go travel to E Haven would be a pain as i don't have anyone to take me

BTW thanks for your link to dealers

how did i do this 20 years ago in 1992 when i first bought my Tercel?

at the time i traded my 1988 Tercel in to the same dealer i got my 92 from. The 1988 was insured under the hanover Insurance Company but for the 92 i switched to Allstate, the day after i brought the car home i remember going to Allstate to purchase a new policy for the new 92. but what insured the new car from the time left the dealer to the time i bought coverage the next day?

i didn't go to the DMV because the dealer had registered the car for me

wouldn't i have needed proof of insurance for the dealer to register the car?

Old 11-05-2011, 07:45 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
I am guessing the rust hole is not going to seriously affect the value, since this car is not going to have a high value. Burns oil, has rust, wear in the interior, 20 years old. It's certainly not in high demand. Might serve someone well as a winter beater for a year or two.

For what to get... get whatever you want! Go find something you enjoy and are happy with! If you like the Forester or the Rav4, either would be good choices.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:32 AM

if i bought a new Toyota Yaris (which i suspect is what i might do since i can easily trade my 92 in to the same dealer) i might also buy a set of hubcaps since i would expect that the hubs would be soon stolen (they were on my 92 after the car was only 18 months old)!

can you get locking hubcaps as an option?

Old 11-05-2011, 10:50 AM

I meant to say East Haven, but I do think that there's a second CT Carmax in Hartford. Both are relatively close to I-95, so it should be feasible to take the train there and a quick local cab ride to the dealership if they don't have a shuttle service.

Yes, you can get wheel locks for a vehicle. Many cars have this installed with alloy wheels as a matter of routine from the dealership, if not originally equipped by the manufacturer. Some Yaris have alloy wheels, IIRC, but I am not sure about the base model where it could be an option. Either way, you would be able to secure the wheels/hubcaps if not from the factory, then as a dealer installed accessory.

City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive