U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 08:05 AM

243 posts, read 879,321 times

Advertisements

Ok, perhaps that title is a bit off, but here is the scoop.

I just picked up an 04 jeep grand cherokee. I have a carpet cleaner & extractor, so I decided to do every square inch of the interior. There was one spot on the carpet floor right in front of the front pass seat that has a stubborn orange looking spot. Right under the floor mat. No matter how much I extracted, the stain was still there. I gave up on the spot. No odors at this point

The next morning, I get into my car an notice a bad smell, almost like the smell of death, rotting chicken, etc. I find the source is that spot in question. I move the molding that eold the carpet down and what I found was that between the floor metal of the car and the silver backing of the carpet is some sort of foul smelling sticky mess. I think what ever was under there I pulled the smell through the carpet itself with the carpet cleaner/water extractor... thus the "new smell" after owning the car for 2 weeks with no odors.

Now the car is a repo that I purchased from the repo company. Did someone get ticked and tuck something smelly under the carpet before the repo? No idea. My concern is the carpet. I am cleaning it out, but the odor is still there.

What can I do about this? If it is some sort of rotting flesh will the smell ever come out? I see replacement carpets online for about $ 120-140 + S&H and I am considering it regardless of the odor.

thoughts?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 08:14 AM

14,756 posts, read 33,560,369 times
It wouldn't surprise me if someone left a present in there. The best thing to do is clean the underside as best you can and then try liberally applying some baking soda to the area, letting it sit for a couple days and then vacuuming it out. You can keep applying the baking soda as long as it seems to be working. If it's not, you can try spraying the area with white vinegar and letting it sit for 15 minutes before blotting it out and then finishing it off with the carpet cleaner/extractor.

So, it's possible to be cleaned, but you have to figure out whether or not it's totally worth it to you to take the time to try.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:22 AM

7,475 posts, read 19,123,751 times
Sounds like new carpet time..! Clean the metal floor under the carpet, and get a new carpet installed.
I left a couple of pieces of bacon in a carry-out box, in the back seat of my truck. Next time I opened the door (About a month later) it almost knocked me out. It took me several months to get rid of the smell, and the bacon never made contact with any part of the vehicle, it was in a Styrofoam container.. The odor permeated the entire interior...
I shampooed it, vacuumed it, sprayed it with every chemical know to man, put an electronic air cleaner in it for days. Nothing really helped but time. I kept both windows rolled down and it's finally livable, after several months. I thought I had totaled out my new truck...!!

Old 11-07-2011, 09:26 AM

2,057 posts, read 4,236,329 times
Go to a professional janitorial service supply company that sells to the public. They'll have a solution for you.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:49 AM

8,402 posts, read 18,995,539 times
Years ago I went out to eat Chinese food one Saturday night. About a week later I went to drive that truck for the first time since that dinner. As I approached the truck I had a visceral response, like my stomach turning over and the hair on the back of my neck standing up, but couldn't figure out why. Keep in mind that this was August in Charlotte, NC. When I opened the door of the truck I quickly (instantly) came to several realizations:

1. The leftovers from the Chinese dinner were still in the truck.

2. The visceral response was me smelling that...foulness...from 20 feet away without realizing what it was.

3. I was about to set a new personal record for the time from "reason to vomit" to "vomit", eclipsing my previous time significantly.

I let it sit with the doors open for a day, not caring about anything else that might happen to the truck. I knew a person couldn't last long enough in it to steal anything, and only a carrion eating animal would even get close. It took a couple weeks before I could drive it, and months until other people stopped smelling it. And that was jsut from the stuff in the box. There was nothing actually in contact with the interior.

I did take a look in the takeout box, which prompted another record setting attempt as in #3 above. I still can't order Chinese food without thinking of what was in that box.

Anyway, there may be pro chemicals like OdoBan that will kill that smell. But if you're able to do it yourself, replacing the carpet in a vehicle with some age on it is a great idea. It improves the look and smell of most any vehicle.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:09 PM

243 posts, read 879,321 times
thinking of just replacing the carpet. Found stockinteriors.com & they seem to be the best deal around.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:28 AM

19,122 posts, read 20,807,647 times
Clean up the mess, well, get the carpet dry, add common baking soda under and into the carpet. Change this on occasions.

Thar's no tellin' what made that orange spot, but acids like battery acid, can turn carpet orange.

Get a rattle can of the closest color of the carpet in a for plastic paint. Paint the carpet from a greater distance than the can says, and very lightly, with many very light coats, ALWAYS waiting for the paint to dry, then bush the carpet well with a soft brush.

Expect each coat to take a little orange away, and about a month to to do it. Of course mask off what you don't want painted each time.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:37 AM

46,909 posts, read 37,832,301 times
How many people here saw Myth Busters test the "Cheap Corvette" Myth?

The idea is somebody died in a car in the summer heat and weren't found for a week or more and the smell will NOT come out and thus there is some fatastically inexpensive corvette for sale due to the smell.

They tested it by putting a pig in a car for *a while*, sealing it all up and then putting it in a sealed shipping container.

The pig had essentially liquified. They tried everything and could not get the smell out. They were literally gagging through their respirators and hazmat suits....unbelievably vile.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:59 AM

14,756 posts, read 33,560,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
How many people here saw Myth Busters test the "Cheap Corvette" Myth?

The idea is somebody died in a car in the summer heat and weren't found for a week or more and the smell will NOT come out and thus there is some fatastically inexpensive corvette for sale due to the smell.

They tested it by putting a pig in a car for *a while*, sealing it all up and then putting it in a sealed shipping container.

The pig had essentially liquified. They tried everything and could not get the smell out. They were literally gagging through their respirators and hazmat suits....unbelievably vile.
I saw the Myth Busters episode in real life. Freightliner truck, middle of the winter at a truck stop. Driver dies in the cab with the engine on and heat on full blast. Driver was going home on a break, so no one checked in. It took three days before the rest stop people checked on him. Yeah...not pretty...kind of like the pig, but not as liquified.

The truck spent about 6 months airing out on the yard, before anyone would go near it. We stripped the entire interior out of the truck, including all rubber seals and gaskets and thoroughly cleaned it with all kinds of industrial crap. Let it air out a couple more months, reassemble the inteior, change the unit number and back in service.

I believe they couldn't get the stink out of the Vette, simply way too many places for it to get into. The truck was a lot easier since it could basically be stripped down to the bare metal and cleaned.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:55 PM

19,122 posts, read 20,807,647 times
Reminds me of a on line joke.
Guy looses his wife for a new, younger better model. While the x is cleaning out her stuff, she places remnant bits of her last meal, shrimp, in her last bought new fancy curtian rods and leaves.

Pretty soon the shrimp get all stinky and the guy hires all sorts of experts to get rid of the stink, and no one does. Finally at last he decides to sell and move. The x finds out and offers him less than 1/2 of what he wants, but the guy is desperate and sells.

The x takes over the house and moves in, to see the new gal out of spite took the fancy curtain rods...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive