Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Exotics and High-End Luxury Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 04:56 PM

133 posts, read 173,684 times

Advertisements

I know that they're fine but are they that much better than a S class benz? Since someone had better have a net worth of a few hundred million before buying a car that costs $160k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 05:29 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,287,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shstrang98 View Post
I know that they're fine but are they that much better than a S class benz? Since someone had better have a net worth of a few hundred million before buying a car that costs $160k.
At that point it's like speed, incremental gains for exponential costs.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:31 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,695,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shstrang98 View Post
I've driven an S550 and now I've driven a Bentley and the differences are pretty significant. BOTH are big cars but the Bentley drives like a much smaller vehicle. The S-Class has a nice interior but there is still quite a bit of plastic (albeit soft plastic) throughout the car whereas the Bentley is full of leather, wood, chrome, and high-end materials. The wood on the Bentley is REAL and cut from the same tree to ensure uniformity whereas the S-Class has fake wood (I believe, not 100% though). The leather is also much softer than the leather in the Mercedes.

A few hundred million dollars to buy a $160K automobile? If you have a net worth of a few million and have a decent income, buying a $160K car is feasible albeit maybe a bit excessive.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:13 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,422,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
compared to the Bentley considering they are practically the same car.

His paraphrased remark was that "The only reason to buy a Bentley is to say that you have a Bentley and show everyone else that you can afford a Bentley. Otherwise, you are much better off saving $60k and getting a Mercedes or Audi that are overall much better luxury cars."

So, there you have it. In the words of a multi-millionaire, the only reason to own a Bentley is the snob appeal of owning a Bentley.
I rode in one. Nice car, jut not my style. I'd take an S550 or CL600 over it anyday (too many reasons to mention).

And..funny thing, (what you stated in bold), I have a colleague that said the same thing when he bought his (used). The only thing, the idiot was not a millionaire. Just wanted people to think he was one. .

Yeah, the sucker got repo'd less than a year later. Dummy from Miami.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
I rode in one. Nice car, jut not my style. I'd take an S550 or CL600 over it anyday (too many reasons to mention).

And..funny thing, (what you stated in bold), I have a colleague that said the same thing when he bought his (used). The only thing, the idiot was not a millionaire. Just wanted people to think he was one. .

Yeah, the sucker got repo'd less than a year later. Dummy from Miami.
I've heard of the $30K/ year millionaire but how does someone even get approved for a loan for a used Bentley without having some cash in the bank? Most wanna-be millionaires drive C-Class Mercedes and 3 Series.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:23 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,422,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I've heard of the $30K/ year millionaire but how does someone even get approved for a loan for a used Bentley without having some cash in the bank? Most wanna-be millionaires drive C-Class Mercedes and 3 Series.
Who honestly knows? (Not to get off topic.)

If you've ever set foot in Miami, Florida you'll ask yourself the same question over and over.

You see exotics (or semi exotics, if you want to call them that) in driveways of homes that cost less than the cars. Don't ask me, go see for yourself. Things are done differently down there. (You'll never see a place with more college kids who drive BMWs, Benzes, and Porsches.. and it's not all family wealth etc . It has L.A. beat by far)

Same reason why Miami has one of the worse housing markets in the nation. Same reasons why they get approved for Bentleys. People there live to show off, and live beyond their means. That's why they're hit the hardest. That place is full of frauds. I'm not making this up. Go to the Miami sub forum on C/D. It's a different beast down there. The place is number one for Medicare fraud. Gives you a clue!

Old 11-08-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Who honestly knows? (Not to get off topic.)

If you've ever set foot in Miami, Florida you'll ask yourself the same question over and over.

You see exotics (or semi exotics, if you want to call them that) in driveways of homes that cost less than the cars. Don't ask me, go see for yourself. Things are done differently down there. (You'll never see a place with more college kids who drive BMWs, Benzes, and Porsches.. and it's not all family wealth etc . It has L.A. beat by far)

Same reason why Miami has one of the worse housing markets in the nation. Same reasons why they get approved for Bentleys. People there live to show off, and live beyond their means. That's why they're hit the hardest. That place is full of frauds. I'm not making this up. Go to the Miami sub forum on C/D. It's a different beast down there. The place is number one for Medicare fraud. Gives you a clue!
Interesting. There are quite a few of the exotic/collector cars in the Phoenix area but most are housed in climate-controlled private garages (museums, really). I was actually driving through a neighborhood in Mesa and saw a guy hand washing a Lamborghini Gallardo in the driveway of a house that is probably worth less than the car. But that really is more of an exception than anything.

I live in Upper-middle class area and most vehicles around here fit the housing prices. Quite a few Cadillac's (Escalade especially), BMW's, and a few Mercedes here and there. Nothing spectacular but fits the demographic. I HAVE been in some garages that are nicer than my house....and probably cleaner.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:28 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,678,860 times
Quote:
They don't, they lease it.

There are several companies that specialize in that type of situation. I've done a lot of business with these guys when I worked in carsharing:

Fleetway, Used Car Dealer & New Car Broker in Feasterville Philly

I worked with them on traditional fleet leases and puchased cars from their dealer group. However, their claim to fame was the brilliant idea of leasing high end cars to rich people with crappy credit and/or wannabe rich people who couldn't really afford the cars. The rates are through the roof and every car has a tracking system installed in it. As you soon as you miss a payment, they disable and then repo the car, clean it up and lease it to the next guy. They do a TON of business in Vegas and Miami.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:36 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
Quote:
Easy. Lease.

I talked to the Ferrari guys couple years back...would have gotten F430 spyder for 10k down and just 2k a month. The mileage was super sucky (2500 miles a year). The whole thing seemed like a waste of money to me...especially with such a crappy mileage allowance.

As for needs millions in the bank before buying a $160k car...first of all, lots of people who make $70-80k are driving around in $40k+ cars. I am not saying this is a wise decision, but it then doesn't stretch too far to say that someone who is making $300k can afford a $150k car...I think anyone who puts luxury over a nicely padded savings account is s*** for brains, but that seems to be most of the american public.

Frankly, I think you can 'afford' whatever car you get that you don't worry about the repair costs or the maintenance or if it blew up into a million pieces right now, it wouldn't put a major dent in your finances.

If you're like freaking out bc it has a scratch or you went 10 miles over your lease or whatever other poppycock, you can't afford it.

I have spent the last few years driving cars from the $80-120k range (and test-driving more expensive and less expensive ones)...and I have to say that you have to go WAY higher than that to get any real difference in performance. And even in that range, there are cars that are worth it and many that aren't.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:36 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,287,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
If you're like freaking out bc it has a scratch , you can't afford it.
As an ex bodyman and painter, I like my cars in nice shape, and HATE it when they get a scratch or big chip in the paint. Has nothing to do with whether I can afford it or not. I work hard to detail them and make sure they look good, and inconsiderate slobs that scatch or ding them up **** me right off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Exotics and High-End Luxury Brands