Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 12:38 PM

863 posts, read 2,991,862 times

Advertisements

I'd tend NOT to for there reasons stated, but would make this strong suggestion.

BEFORE you current warranty runs out, take it to the dealership for a bumper-to-bumper check and have them replace anything that needs it NOW, under warranty. We did this with both the rigs we still have, saved us about $500 each time on shocks, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 08:17 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
Pretty much this.

many warranties aren't worth the paper they are written on.
There are always "get-out" clauses, and you'd be frightened by how little is actually covered on an older car.
Their get out of jail free card is "wear and tear". It's all about the definition of what is normal and what isn't.

Even if the engine were to go "boom", to claim on the warranty, it would have to be shown that the engine was faulty, not that you'd been hooning it, or had skipped an oil change.

Your other option is to make sure you read the warranty terms and conditions carefully to see what is covered and what isn't, and then decide if it's worth it or not.
Sometimes it's even worth getting a lawyer to have a read over them.
They're always legally watertight, but there is a great deal of wiggle room for the company. It's very much loaded in their favour.
Both the Subaru and Toyota extended warranties are an exact duplicate of the original warranty, plus a few other perks (in the Toyota one). For example, the Toyota extended warranty also covers some of the cost for renting a car while the mechanic is working on the Toyota one, emergency towing to a shop, and so forth. But you are correct about normal wear such as wiper blades, tires, and things like that.

The reason why I purchased an extended warranty for my Wife's ran 4 V6 is because one single component (motor, transmission, ABS system, traction/stability control, etc.) can cost thousands of dollars to repair or replace. The extended warranty, just like the initial one, covers parts and labor. The warranty paperwork lists the exact parts covered from the beginning. Since I only paid $932.00 for a 100,000-mile/8-year warranty, it's more of peace of mind to me.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:49 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
Concur.

I bought a 7yr/100K for my 07 4Runner. Electronics the reason. $835.00.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:39 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,923,439 times
Correct, but as the vehicle ages, so does wear and tear.
Therefore faults are more likely to be attributed to wear and tear and natural degradation than being faulty.

Every car part has a design life, it depends on what the design life for the failed part is whether it's deemed a fault, or degradation.

Hence why I say that the wording on the extended warranty should be checked and fully understood before shelling out your hard earned cash.
note, FULLY understood.
Thjat way there are no unpleasant surprises later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Both the Subaru and Toyota extended warranties are an exact duplicate of the original warranty, plus a few other perks (in the Toyota one). For example, the Toyota extended warranty also covers some of the cost for renting a car while the mechanic is working on the Toyota one, emergency towing to a shop, and so forth. But you are correct about normal wear such as wiper blades, tires, and things like that.

The reason why I purchased an extended warranty for my Wife's ran 4 V6 is because one single component (motor, transmission, ABS system, traction/stability control, etc.) can cost thousands of dollars to repair or replace. The extended warranty, just like the initial one, covers parts and labor. The warranty paperwork lists the exact parts covered from the beginning. Since I only paid $932.00 for a 100,000-mile/8-year warranty, it's more of peace of mind to me.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:06 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
My 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee had the fob-operated part of the door lock fail, out of warranty. Fine, so I can't use the fobs anymore. Then the rest of the doorlock failed and the doors couldn't be opened except by key. Since only the driver's door has a key, that meant: front passenger, rear passengers and hatch no longer opened, not even from inside the car. The fix was almost $1,000.

The extended FACTORY bumper-to-bumper warranty (8 years, 100,000 miles) on my 2010 Rav4, which has FAR more electronic junk on it than the Jeep, cost less than that $1,000. Since I plan to keep the car at least that 8 years, I view it as simply an extension of the insurance policy.

The extension covers all the electronics and computers, which is where I believe modern cars are weak. I'm far less concerned about the engine and transmission (although I have some doubts about the overly-complex AWD system).

As Ray said, you need to hunt around for best price on the extended warranty. The dealer I bought from wanted $2,400 for the same warranty that I ended up paying less than $1,000 for. I found the cheaper warranty via an internet forum, and I'd certainly look at the various Subaru forums to find out what the actual going rate is.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:50 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
You can get a group buy together on the appropriate forum. on T4R.org we got 10 members in at $835.00 zero deduct 7/100k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive