U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-13-2011, 07:22 PM

2,529 posts, read 2,969,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Do you see any correlation between those techs that can't pass the tests and their abilities/productivity in the shop? Is it possible that these guys aren't all that good? or are they simply incapable of taking tests?

Do you see any correlation between those techs that do pass the tests and their shop performance and income? Are these they guys that are always curious, always learning, always excited about new information/skills and putting that to work?

Good techs ... with or without those certificates ... are hard to find.

Short answer: Yes.

The techs without their a.s.e certification are extremely lazy and don't enjoy reading at all.

The techs with their a.s.e certification enjoy reading, learning and are extremely hardworking.

The techs without the a.s.e certification are reckless, (speeding tickets, modding cars etc. etc.) and non chalant about responsibilities.
Some of them are not too serious about their job either.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 07:28 PM

8,322 posts, read 22,481,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Short answer: Yes.

The techs without their a.s.e certification are extremely lazy and don't enjoy reading at all.

The techs with their a.s.e certification enjoy reading, learning and are extremely hardworking.

The techs without the a.s.e certification are reckless, (speeding tickets, modding cars etc. etc.) and non chalant about responsibilities.
Some of them are not too serious about their job either.
So now you've answered the original question as to the perceived value of getting those ASE cert's in your portfolio of accomplishments.

I infer that you'd rather not be in the group that are "extremely lazy and don't enjoy reading at all" .... and that ASE credential apparently puts you into the group that are "learning and are extremely hardworking". If you can observe this distinction, so can your employer.

Go get those certificates. You can start studying now so as to be prepared to take the tests as soon as possible.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:51 PM

868 posts, read 2,446,165 times
I pay for my techs (three of them) to take the tests the first time. The re-certs are on them and most of them choose not to take the re-cert as they know that the tests are bs and have almost nothing to do with the day to day operations in a maintenance bay.

With that being said I do send them to seminars for up and coming technology such as hybrid vehicle, and electric vehicle. We find them to be much more useful than the ASE testing and prefer to spend money on those types of classes.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:20 AM

2,529 posts, read 2,969,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
So now you've answered the original question as to the perceived value of getting those ASE cert's in your portfolio of accomplishments.

I infer that you'd rather not be in the group that are "extremely lazy and don't enjoy reading at all" .... and that ASE credential apparently puts you into the group that are "learning and are extremely hardworking". If you can observe this distinction, so can your employer.

Go get those certificates. You can start studying now so as to be prepared to take the tests as soon as possible.
will do

Old 01-18-2014, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 370 times
I am not even a mechanic, but I've always been partially interested in the work. Just like in the professional world though, you have the majority of complainers, whiners, and grumpus pant babies. If it is so easy, go and get your certification, Bachelors degree, Masters, PhD, whatever, go get it, if it's so easy. If you get it, you will get paid more, point blank period, and, more than likely by that time, you WILL feel different. If you do not go and get these things, then ****, that was you're own prerogative, be happy you have a job, and work at being the best at it as you can be, you're a lot more easily replaceable than YOU think. I absolutely hate hearing the constant complaints of "but but but, he's not as good with his certification, and I am better", or, "it's bs that he gets paid more than I do just because he has a Bachelors", or just "wwwwwaaaaaaaa". Always trying to spin it in your own favor. It's simple you know what to do if you want to be paid more, and you either do it, or don't, and if you don't, maybe that is the one area..........where you are not so bright. From a purely business standpoint, it makes sense to me. I only have to pay the very small percentage of degreed more (27% of ALL U.S. citizens, of ALL ages, of ALL races, of ALL genders, of ALL majors has at least a Bachelors, 10% a Masters, 1% a PhD (Census)). Plus, because of that small percentage, it says volumes, whether or not it does to you. Good for marketing to. More people probably have an Associates (2yr) or certifications compared to the other degrees, but, probably less than you would think. So, from a business standpoint..........it makes sense to me, and if it doesn't make sense to you, I think you're the average idiot. Have it, more pay, or don't and have less, it's always been your choice. Oh, but try and stay out of debt to, because even after you go through all of these things............if you have debt, then whatever higher pay you are making is cut in half, probably for years, until the debt is fully paid off. By that time, hopefully it was worth it, but for a lot of indebted educated, certified people...........it's not, unless their debts are more of a minimum.

Just sayin

Old 01-18-2014, 09:35 PM

2,341 posts, read 1,996,694 times
^^ Ummmmmmmm... Thank you?

Old 01-18-2014, 09:43 PM

113 posts, read 103,339 times
I know with most dealerships they care more about there training and there certifications then an ASE cert. I think ASE looks good for the independent shop techs, but I know with Dodge, if you has a master ASE tech, or a leveled Dodge tech, wether level 1 which is entry level, or a level 4, there version of master tech, I think the Dodge tech gets hired first everytime.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:26 AM

1,342 posts, read 671,505 times
In my opinion NO.

ASE is great but at the same time just about anyone can pass these tests and many people can find the answers to the questions on-line.

I was in automotive repair for 35 years and I would always hire someone that had hands on experience rather than a patch on their shirt.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:11 AM

700 posts, read 619,838 times
Just curious do you work at harte?

Old 01-22-2014, 09:17 AM

5,674 posts, read 1,950,134 times
From our experience it helped in getting hired in a new city but did not contribute to better advancment or pay, BUT bear in mind this is a small town. Garage owners are greedy and not loyal to their employees. It soon became obvious it was a waste of money and time. Of course, it did help that he was one of the top techs in the area.

In a bigger city with more competition it may give you an edge over someone who didn't take them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive