Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 08:53 AM

511 posts, read 2,450,729 times

Advertisements

I have owned a dozen cars in my lifetime and every single one of them has been used (pre owned). In every case i have bought the cars from a established dealer and likely paid up to $2000 more for the car.

I am in the market for a new (USED) car and see the car I am interested in being sold by private individuals for much less, but I am scared.

What if it is a lemon, or maybe they don't really own the car?? There will be no dealer to return to and complain.

How would I transfer the title to myself after purchase? Do both the seller and buyer have to go down to the State DMV together for the paperwork? Will they accept a check if not how did you get them the money? If the warranty is still in effect how would the car company handle the transfer?

HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 09:14 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,545,084 times
Number one is to get the car inspected by a mechanic, if the person selling will not let you do it, then walk away. More than likely you will either have to pay in cash or bank check. Hopefully either he has the title or a local bank does. After he signs the title away only you need to go to the DMV to get it transferred. As far as the warrenty, you can go to the manufactorers website and find out that info. Hope this helps.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:44 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,265,716 times
Having done this before I understand the concern. But like trlhiker just said...take it to a reputable mechanic that will look the whole thing over. Do not just take the seller's word for it that it's fine. Do not put yourself in a position that you must buy something 'today'.

There's nothing wrong with buying from a private party but you need to understand that it comes with some amount of risk (but so does buying from a dealer). A private party can't offer you a warranty. Some used dealers offer a short term warranty with their cars (6 months is common)....but the difference in price is usually thousands like you said....so you have to weigh that risk.

Also dealing with a private party you have to handle your own paperwork, loan, etc. Depending on where you are this could be a hassle. I understand in some states there is some serious over-regulation when it comes to transfering ownership of a vehicle.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:12 AM

208 posts, read 270,048 times
I'm using Inspect My Ride Vehicle Inspections | Vin Check | Car History Report for cars to far to visit

Old 11-16-2011, 10:49 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
I think it is crazy to buy a used car from a dealer, especially a cheap used car. Dealers charge a mark up of about $2000. Thus, if you buy a car from a dealer for $4000, you are getting a $2000 car.

Dealers do not know the history of a car. they usually have no idea where the car came from, how many owners it had, who drove it, what maintenance was done, etc. Some history might be reported on Car Fax, some is not. Sometimes dealers just make up a history. Dealers do not make any promises or provide any better cars or warranty than an individual seller. If your engine blows up 500 feet from the Dealer's driveway, they are going to point to the "As IS" agreement that you just signed and tell you to have a nice day. You can buy a warranty from a dealer, but you can buy better warranty cheaper if you buy directly from the warranty company. Some dealers offer a "free" warranty. It is not free. The price of the warranty is just added to the sale price. Used car warranties are generally a bad buy anyway.

Dealers do a nice job of cleaning a used car. Sometimes they will do minor repairs, particularly brakes. However for $2000 you could have the minor repairs done (if any) have the car detailed inside and out, and still have enough to buy a nice dinner and pay for the first repair bill. When you buy a car from the dealer, in addition to paying for the car, you are paying their rent, insurance, advertising, salesman commission, receptionist, time to go to an auction and buy the car, costs for cleaning/detailing, and a healthy profit. when you buy a car from a private seller, you are paying for the car. A dealer cannot afford to give you a good deal on a car. A private seller often is tired of showing the car and just wants to sell it and move on. They will sometimes take a below market offer just to be done with the hassle.

IMO dealers generally have more incentive to lie to you than most private sellers. If you discover a lie, a private seller has to be concerned abotu you coming back to them. A dealer can just tell you to get in line with all the other complainers.

I like to buy cars at auctions. It is a big risk becuase you are basically buyng them based on a photograph, but they tend to go very cheap and you can get phenomenal deals. You can also lose your tail. I am a gambler. I do what I can to gamble only when the odds appear to be in my favor, but you are generally not going to get great results unless you take risks. That 2007 ford Edge that looks like new in the picture may be a great car good for other 200,000 miles, or it may already have a blown engine or transmission. If you buy it for $4000, you may get a $10,000 car for $4000, or you may end up putting $6000 into it and ending up with an $8000 car for $10,000.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:14 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I think it is crazy to buy a used car from a dealer, especially a cheap used car. ...
IMO dealers generally have more incentive to lie to you than most private sellers. ...
^^^^^ Listen UP ^^^^
nice feature of craigslist is FOR SALE BY OWNER

I buy MANY used cars from private (often over internet) and ONLY ONE from a dealer (What a mistake )

get a ONE Owner By Owner, NON-SMOKER, ask for history / mechanic.

look at quality of filters, tires, glass, paint, interior.

I have never used a paid mechanic to look over a far or near car. Sometimes I will find a friend nearby that knows a particular model (I only buy diesel).

I have always paid ahead by check, flew in, and drove home (frequently over 2000 miles). No unexpected troubles despite hours and hours of blizzards in a strange (new to me) car.

Buy from OWNER (ONE Owner, no kids, no busy single folks who have abused / missed maintenance)

BTW, I have added hundreds of thousands of miles to my used cars that the 'one-owner' thought was worn out. I have had more than one owner cry when I pulled away in their 'baby'.

BTW#2...
I will NOT buy a used car from an owner that bought it USED from a DEALER. Dealers usually sell junk. IMHO, YMMV

Old 11-16-2011, 11:28 AM

208 posts, read 270,048 times
LOL you guys are too negative I have bought a total of 9 user cars, all from dealers, all between 50k to 98k miles, from 5 to 10years old and none of them were junk, none needed any repairs. Needs new tires sure, I actually prefer that I choose the tires than getting a no name or samclub generic tire, like 'sumitomo' or 'federal' tires with the car LOL. I had 1 blown speaker on a fully dressed F150 stepside, thats cool too so I can choose the sound system setup.
Private sellers can be evil too, especially the guys who'd drive to meet you somewhere

Old 11-16-2011, 11:31 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,545,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit;21738387
BTW#2...
[B
I will NOT buy a used car from an owner that bought it USED from a DEALER. [/b]Dealers usually sell junk. IMHO, YMMV
Many dealers sell trade ins too. I bought my used Tacoma from dealer and it has been a great truck. Hav ehad it for 6 years now with only one under warrenty problem. That said I would only buy a 2 or 3 year old vehicle from a dealer, nothing older. That way I can get a warrenty since you never know how it was treated by the previous owner.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:03 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,045,263 times
I'm far from being a car expert, and maybe I've just been lucky, but I bought my current car and the one before it from private sellers and didn't have either of them checked out by a mechanic.

Both sellers were decent looking couples, original owners and had a stack of maintenance records to go with the car.

The first one was 9yo Subaru bought for $5000. The sellers and I went to their bank (small town) and I gave them a bank check and they gave me a bill of sale.I drove it for 8 years with no unusual repairs, just normal stuff that wears out.

Three years ago I bought a 2001 Subaru from a private seller for $4600. It was priced so cheap that I just test drove it and made a decision immediately. I plan on keeping it for several more years. I paid these folks with a personal check.

We did buy a 1996 Tacoma from a dealer a couple of years ago. It was the middle of winter and they usually didn't sell trucks like this. They started the price at $9999 and after a few weeks of us looking at it, sold it to us for $6400. We were able to find the previous owner and ask him about the truck. I did pay for it with a Visa card. Always wanted to do that someday...

Old 11-16-2011, 01:01 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,347,398 times
I've bought a few new and MANY used cars and trucks from private owners and dealerships in several different States. I've gotten some great deals both from private owners and from dealers. One of the best used cars I have ever owned was purchased in recent years from a used car dealership for much less than I could have found it from a private owner. I currently own a great older Ford F150 that I purchased from a private seller at a good price just last year.

Research first the model vehicle you seek to see if the model has any major problems, then research the price. If you feel you are mechanically unable to detect major defects in a used vehicle by inspecting it and by driving it, pay a reputable mechanic to look it over. When you find your vehicle, either have cash, or a bank's loan commitment, before you go to the seller with your offer. If you want to tick off a seller, make an offer without the cash to back it up. I also have sold more than a few vehicles (and tractors) and nothing sets me off more than a buyer who makes a lower-than-sale-price offer and doesn't have the cash to back it up.

The point is that dealerships, private sellers or buyers have no patent on morals. Know what you are buying and know the price you want to pay. The transfer of a title at your local MVD, as is registration, is a simple task once you have a signed and released title from the owner. All you need to know is how to do is attach your new plates to your new car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive