Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 05:11 PM

3,075 posts, read 5,635,672 times

Advertisements

Even if I do my vehicle gets me to work and at least contributes to me making money. If I sat at home with no vehicle and did nothing and made nothing, I'd pay some taxes (sales tax, fees, etc.) and wouldn't have car expenses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 05:26 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,223,092 times
I pay more in taxes than any other expense that I have. By a LONG shot.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:39 PM

15,445 posts, read 21,291,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I pay more in taxes than any other expense that I have. By a LONG shot.
Me too but here in Texas we are suppose to be glad our outrageous property taxes are being used to educate illegals.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:57 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,223,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Me too but here in Texas we are suppose to be glad our outrageous property taxes are being used to educate illegals.
I am just talking about income tax.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:42 AM

662 posts, read 1,224,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
It's not surprising at all- many people pay very little in taxes. Half of American adults pay no federal income taxes, and many of that half actually make money on paying taxes because of EIC and other "refundable credits." State income taxes are generally based on federal income taxation- so pay no federal, pay no state. The only federal income-type tax that historically affected most people was the Medicare and Social Security payroll taxes. Those were lowered significantly for lower-income people in the past couple years as part of the Obama stimulus. So, the only taxes that half of the country pays are sales taxes, excise taxes, and property taxes. A renter does not directly pay property taxes on anything besides a vehicle. Excise taxes are generally not counted as taxpayer-paid taxes because the manufacturer usually pays them and the tax is rolled into the purchase price. Thus the tax liability calculation pretty much is (vehicle property tax + sales taxes + a small amount for Medicare/Social Security) - federal income tax "extra refund." For many people that's a very small number, probably on the order of a thousand bucks or so per year. I'd bet that a good chunk of the population spends more on their cable TV and cell phone bills per year than they do taxes, let alone on their cars

And you wonder why our country is in trouble...

Old 11-18-2011, 10:19 AM

15,445 posts, read 21,291,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I am just talking about income tax.
Sorry but I noted that you were in Texas and since property taxes in the State are so significant, I just made an assumption.

I pay more in Texas property taxes than for auto expenses. Including Federal income taxes, the OP's assertion is way off base.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:22 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,273,106 times
I pay way more in taxes.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:20 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,004,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyover_Country View Post
It's not surprising at all- many people pay very little in taxes. Half of American adults pay no federal income taxes
I've been hearing this statistic for a while now but it's misleading since it implies that lots of working people pay no income tax. The actual statistics look more like this:

56% Employed (only 47% have full time jobs)
9% Unemployed
35% Not Looking for Work

As you can see the percentage of people not paying federal income tax tracks the percentage of unemployed/not looking for work number pretty closely. Duh, you don't pay income tax if you don't have any income. Not exactly a scathing indictment of the "welfare state" if you ask me.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:07 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,273,106 times
Why don't we get this back on track and for those willing, they can offer how much they pay in transportation cost and how much they pay in taxes. This being an automotive forum and all lets make sure that what we say relates to that. I am getting on myself here as I also commented.

Right now I am slapping my hand hard for typing the earlier post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive