U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Car Decisions
Replace the engine for $4000 0 0%
Get a new car and trade in the old one 9 81.82%
Join a car sharing service and decide later 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 08:09 PM

437 posts, read 1,056,902 times

Advertisements

I think the OP would be wise to get a second opinion aside from the mechanic who suggested the $4,000 dollar engine replacement. He might find someone who can solve the problem (used engine perhaps) for a lot less money.

Best of luck,

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 01:03 AM

17,329 posts, read 12,275,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Hyundai is a very unreliable car manufacture. Get rid of that POS!
Actually it was pretty low maintenance. I haven't done anything over my 8 years besides tires, oil changes and brake pads. Basic wear and tear stuff. No problems whatsoever.

It is disappointing this happened right after I crossed the 100k miles threshold. Literally, I am at 103k miles now.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:06 AM

I think I'll go with B. Even investing $2k might be too much. I consulted a family friend who is a mortgage broker. My debt to income ratio isn't too high at the moment, so it my decrease my buying power a bit, but I am in range with my target home price anyway with no problem. I'd still be able get approved for 60-80k higher than my mental max.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:42 AM

3,383 posts, read 3,503,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think I'll go with B. Even investing $2k might be too much. I consulted a family friend who is a mortgage broker. My debt to income ratio isn't too high at the moment, so it my decrease my buying power a bit, but I am in range with my target home price anyway with no problem. I'd still be able get approved for 60-80k higher than my mental max.

I wouldn't put $2k into it....

Have you looked around at trading it in and throwing some cash down on a used car?

I was in a similar situation, but car was starting to give me issues. I made a decision, sold cars with issues and bought another cheap reliable cash car. But then again I do a bunch of my own work on cars.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
I wouldn't put $2k into it....

Have you looked around at trading it in and throwing some cash down on a used car?

I was in a similar situation, but car was starting to give me issues. I made a decision, sold cars with issues and bought another cheap reliable cash car. But then again I do a bunch of my own work on cars.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.
I am not car savvy. Buying a user car would give me indegestion!

I think the verdict is in. I'll pick out something new, that hopefully makes it to 150K miles.

I can get all of my important bells and whistles now, that I was thinking about adding. I am not one of those: oh no, my car doesn't have the latest and greatest stuff, I need to trade it in!

Old 11-20-2011, 02:06 AM

Help me pick a car: Help me choose: Nissan Juke or Ford Focus Hatchback

Old 11-20-2011, 09:15 AM

8,697 posts, read 12,503,244 times
Quote:
I am not car savvy. Buying a user car would give me indegestion!

I think the verdict is in. I'll pick out something new, that hopefully makes it to 150K miles.

I can get all of my important bells and whistles now, that I was thinking about adding. I am not one of those: oh no, my car doesn't have the latest and greatest stuff, I need to trade it in!

How much oil is running out of that rig? Its all on the bottom, so there is no fire hazard, right? So is it a quart a week? Less?

Old 11-20-2011, 11:59 AM

7,785 posts, read 10,472,685 times
Quote:
The crank shaft is moving in an out, which is breeching the seal. They can't replace the crank shaft. And since the motion is in and out, the seal would be damaged quickly. (I was initially planning to replace the seal only, and then debate on a newer car next year).

My car is a Hyundai Elantra, 2003.

the car is scrap. Sell it and buy another. An Elantra that year with those miles is worth about nothing. Sure not as much as your replacement engines will cost

Old 11-20-2011, 01:45 PM

8,958 posts, read 8,568,075 times
Quote:
The crank shaft is moving in an out, which is breeching the seal. They can't replace the crank shaft. And since the motion is in and out, the seal would be damaged quickly. (I was initially planning to replace the seal only, and then debate on a newer car next year).

My car is a Hyundai Elantra, 2003.
What! Mate I retired from a major engine manufacture and can tell you that the rear seal CAN be fixed!!

Don't look now but someone is holding a gun to your wallet looking to rob you!!!

Old 11-20-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
What! Mate I retired from a major engine manufacture and can tell you that the rear seal CAN be fixed!!

Don't look now but someone is holding a gun to your wallet looking to rob you!!!
The seal was a symptom. THe problem is the crankshaft. It pushes the seal out and causes the car to leak oil.

Pretty ridiculously fast. I added ~ 1 quart of oil last Sunday (the day the problem happened). I drove around 5-6 miles (the light was on), towed to the dealer. All of the oil is gone. During those 5 miles (and plus the days it has been in the shop).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive