U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2015, 09:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,843 times

Advertisements

On my Honda Civic 2003, I had all the three belts changed. Right after belt change, I hear belt squeaking sound. Can't say a pattern for sure. Some times you hear it when you start the engine in the morning, some times after you you have driven 3-4 miles. Some times when you driving home after work. Yesterday, I heard it squeak when I was waiting at the stop light.

It seems this rules out power steering belt. So it could be AC/Alternator belt. AC is off due to winter but the heat is ON. The headlights are also off when it squeaks.

Took it back to mechanic, he tightened the belts 2 or 3 times.

I don't believe there is an auto tentioner for this belt. There was no such sound prior to belt change. I bought the belt kit from Honda dealer and had local mechanic install it. The mechanic says, there is no more room to go and further tightening could lead to bearing damage.

Can you guys help with the troubleshoooting.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,742 times
I know this is an old post but maybe this will help someone. I have a 2002 Kia Rio RX-V with repeatedly loosening alternator belt that might finally be fixed. It does not use an automatic tensioner on either belt. At 170K kms I had burnt out alternator replaced at alternator/starter shop and also had both drive belts replaced. Squealing of belt starts after a few weeks. Back to shop to tighten THREE TIMES over next three months! Finally,in trying to determine which belt it was I found I could sometimes make belt squeal by putting load on alternator by turning on fan or power windows so that pointed to it being the alternator belt, which hopefully ruled out power steering pump or air conditioner compressor or water pump bearing. I planned to work on it myself but to access main pivot bolt requires lifting car, however in looking closely at alternator I discovered alternator pulley and drive belt clearly misaligned. Likely reason could be loose alternator main bolt. Went back to shop where they lifted car and confirmed main bolt is loose. They don't know why it's loose but on this car the main bolt tightens only to threads in alternator ie not with through bolt with nut and lock washer. This time they replaced main mounting bolt with a longer one so they can put nut and lock washer on as well. They also did same thing with tension adjuster clamping bolt, ie they used a longer clamping bolt so they could put a lock washer and nut on it. I have no idea why the main pivot bolt kept coming loose as it never happened in 170,000 kms until the alternator was replaced.

Old 12-19-2015, 11:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,229 times
I have 2007 Nissan Murano sl and my drive belt it had recently been squealing and broke , we put a new belt on and every time you start vehicle it squeals , and will quit in a few minutes or we give it some gas. Once it quits if it cold outside I'll put it in park after driving and it will squeal,Please help so embarrassing !

Old 12-20-2015, 08:45 PM

371 posts, read 365,650 times
There is belt tensioner guage tool you use. The service manual has the spec how much tension.

Old 12-02-2017, 06:07 PM

1 posts, read 853 times
I just had a new belt installed on my 2001 Kia Sephia, and it was frosty this morning & it squealed. It went away when I got out on the road, but squealed a few more times while it was still cold. Later this afternoon, the outdoor temps warmed up & there was no trace of squealing. The tensioner should do the job of maintaining proper tension, so what gives? I'll try the advice already posted.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:13 PM

15,140 posts, read 15,198,298 times
Could also be a pulley.

Take the belt off and turn each pulley by hand, it should feel smooth. Also, manipulate the pulleys and see if you can feel any looseness, there should be none.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:51 PM

1 posts, read 674 times
2007 ford mustang V6, had the belt replace because it was squealing, 2 weeks after the belt was replace the squealing came back but only in the morning as the day went along the squealing went away. To make sure it was the belt I sprayed some water on the belt and the squealing went away for a few minutes but came back, any thoughts please

Old 06-20-2018, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 364 times
1999 Miata
A/C belt has been silently slipping causing burnt rubber smell but no squeal last summer on real hot day. stopped using it through the winter thinking the A/C was going bad even though it seemed to work and cool great. Tried using it a couple days ago on a real hot day and got the burnt smell again...no noise AND A/C was working at the time. Just replaced belt and discovered old one was hard as a rock. test drive last night was perfect. this morning had squealing on acceleration while A/C on half way to work but then silence and A/C working great. belt looks plenty tight. could the old belt residue have caused initial slippage until new belt seated? Still trying to determine if a bad A/C bearing is causing too much resistance or it really was just a bad belt that could not grip the A/C pulley under load (even after it was tightened last summer). thanks. Jim

Old 06-28-2018, 03:48 PM

1 posts, read 326 times
I have a 2003 kia Sorento, I have read through the answers above and it sounds like everyone really knows there stuff! Hopefully someone can help me! I just replaced my belts, there are 3 on this vehicle. They said it must have had the original belts the car came with new, they were aweful.... I had my belts squealing over the winter in the extreme cold, and when it snowed or this summer/spring when it rained, or high humidity. I have all new belts now and not a clue why it's squealing, and sometime I smell a burning rubber smell... not always and the heat gauge doesn't go up, I didn't know I needed a tensioner from reading the above I hope that's all it isa. The noise happens again mostly in the rain, humidity or high heat.. I had the same situation before they were replaced with the squealing, but it seems like it's gotten more frequently since they were changed. I have noticed it stops when I turn the ac off but I have to turn the heat/cold air down to off. Also, when I hit the gas it starts the noise until I get going. I'm thinking it's the fan/ac belt when I got the belts they asked if I had ac when I asked why 3 belts. Or it could be something after reading the thread above to do with my power steering, I have the flid level go down enough that I have to add fluid 1X a month not a ton but its noticeable when driving. I was thinking the belt was just too loose, but now I'm hoping not the alternator issue mentioned above... it does it when the wheels straight or turned I really thought it was something to do with the fan belt due to the diff. Things I tried while driving. I'm not sure though, after seeing the above and also sometimes my power in the car randomly seems to get low and it starts weak like it's in need of a battery. I'm wondering why it would be dojng the exact same squealing when I do the exact same things, like the weather and the ac/blowers on or when I accelerate. .is it something not belt related?? PLEASE HELP ANY SUGGESTIONS HELP!

Old 06-28-2018, 05:33 PM

3,174 posts, read 1,347,495 times
One thing to keep in mind about belt squealing is the quality of the parts. Quality is a huge issue for any auto part these days... it's a roll of the dice. Generally speaking, go with a good brand (Gates, Motorcraft, AC-Delco, Beck-Arnley, etc.) and most of the time it'll work ok.

But sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes even with a good brand, you'll get some junk made in China. Or a belt that's a little too big but some bean-counter decided it's close enough. If either of these is the case, then really you have no choice but to go guy another belt (of a different reputable brand) and give it a try. If truly desperate for good quality parts, the dealer is usually the best option- but not always. Even dealers stock junk parts sometimes.

Most of you will think I'm crazy for suggesting this, but here's an old-timer trick that will make a belt stick: Soap. Something harshly alkaline and waxy- like Dial soap. With the engine running, rub the nasty soap up against the inside of the belt (dry). The squealing with stop- even with a cheap belt. Does it make the belt stick? Does it just lube the belt so that it still slips but does so quietly? I dunno. Either way it stops the noise and the belt works well enough. And it seems to give the belt time to 'break in' so that it doesn't squeal anymore.

YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive