Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2011, 05:22 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,669,774 times

Advertisements

I owned a Fiat years ago and it was a money pit. Cute and fun, but a money pit. I wouldn't buy another Fiat unless it had years of good reviews and proven reliability. My mechanic told me FIAT stood for Fix It Again Tony and that was my unfotunate experience with the brand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 06:37 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
3) Much more boring looking than the Fiat Nuevo 500s that my friends have imported from Europe.
How can your friends justify spending a significant percentage of the econobox price to get them US ready? These are cheap, basic cars, like anything we have here. And you know multiple people that have done this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Its outselling MINI and SMART, its main competition:

July 2011 Sales
Fiat 3038
MINI 2753

August 2011 Sales
Fiat 3106
MINI 2003

September 2011 Sales
Fiat 2773
MINI 2331

What makes this even more impressive is that these figures where achieved despite the delays getting Fiat Studios open and the national advertising campaign beginning in August and not March or April.

Although this is a good performance, Fiat 500 sales did take a dip last month and may fall below initial first year sales estimates.

Fiat outsells MINI again, but can Fiat meet their sales goals? | Fiat 500 USA
They're new. The hipster buyers will dissipate quickly, and then the car will have to survive on it's own merits.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:04 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I owned a Fiat years ago and it was a money pit. Cute and fun, but a money pit. I wouldn't buy another Fiat unless it had years of good reviews and proven reliability.
They do in Europe.

Quote:

My mechanic told me FIAT stood for Fix It Again Tony and that was my unfotunate experience with the brand.
FIAT stands for Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino (English: Italian
Automobile Factory of Turin), and acting like it really means Fix It Again Tony is like believing Ford isn't the man's name, but means Found On Road Dead, or Camaro actually stands for Came After Mustang And Remains Obsolete. It's a retarded old joke that wasn't funny the first time.

Here was my last Fiat, a wonderful fun car:

Had it for 5 years ('02 to '07) and stupidly sold it to move on to another project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
They're new. The hipster buyers will dissipate quickly, and then the car will have to survive on it's own merits.
It's still doing well in Europpe after years of being sold there.

But, it will HAVE to be joined by other more mainstream Fiats here in order to do well. As MINI has shown, you can't survive on one model.

They need to bring over other more traditional small cars, like the 2 box Panda 100 (a fun little performance car):

fiat panda 100 - Google Search

But they could still sell the 500 for years like they have in Europe and like the New Beetle and MINI have been.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:05 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
How can your friends justify spending a significant percentage of the econobox price to get them US ready? These are cheap, basic cars, like anything we have here. And you know multiple people that have done this?

LOL I know several that have bought them and not one I'd consider a hipster.
I don't think the Fiat 500 buyers are any more hipster than a MINI buyer.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:07 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
FIAT... Fix It Again Tony.
Really? Enjoy the following videos from Top Gear Australia. They used it and a SMART as a postie (postal) vehicle in the rugged roads of the Outback. The SMART had a tire failure and could not complete the run. As a former South Australian, I am very familiar with these roads and I would not have dared taken my Toyota on these roads. If the 500 can deliver a heavy load outback, I'm not worried about its durability:

Top Gear Australia - Fiat 500 and SMART car Outback Mail Run Pt1 - YouTube
Top Gear Australia - Fiat 500 and SMART car Outback Mail Run Pt2 - YouTube

They were impressed with the 500' handling. The Italian came and went; the German car was not as capable.

Last edited by minibrings; 11-22-2011 at 07:15 AM..

Old 11-22-2011, 07:35 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberguy1950 View Post
Don't believe everything you read on a "forum"lol
You're on a forum and yet you want me to believe you.

Here read this:

Volt Pic Post.........High VOLTage or Low? Post pictures and stories/experiences of your Volt or someone's you know or have driven..

The dealership next to my work just went through it's entire allotment of Volts. The article you posted fails to take into account that the dealerships were not allowed to sell their demo units yet (they are now) and that production hadn't ramped up completely. They are selling every one they can build now, and the dealerships are being allowed to sell their demo units. They were also only sold initially in limited markets, not nationwide. By the end of the year, they will be set up to sell nationwide.

Chevy Volt Sales Close to 50% up in October, Outsells Nissan Leaf for the First Time - Carscoop

See your article was from back when the Volt was barely being built yet. So only 723 were sold in septemnbler. In October, that figure jumped and GM sold 1108 units in October alone. And November is on track to outsell October. As long as gas prices stay down cars like the Leaf and Volt have a hard sell ahead of them, but they ARE selling, and increasing in sales all the time.

The point? You simply don't have a clue and your bias is leading you to make flawed conclusions. Same as your "logic" in trying to judge a modern Fiat by ones you supposedly wrenched on back in the '60s (and you still haven't responded how you reconcile that with your support of modern Hyundai cars when they were WORSE than those '60s Fiats just a few short years ago)

Old 11-22-2011, 07:42 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
15,500 loaded for a pop model is overpriced? For a new car of today?
What's loaded about the Pop model? It's pretty much a standard car. AM/FM/CD/MP3, manual transmission, A/C, bluetooth, 4 wheel antilock discs, cruise control, remote keyless entry, heated sideview mirrors. If you want the Bose stereo, tack on another $1,250.

For ~$15,500 you could pick up a similarly equipped Ford Fiesta Hatch, or a more equipped Ford Fiesta Sedan. You could also get a Ford Focus Sedan with similar equipment. There is also the Mazda 2, Hyundai Elantra and Kia Forte, not to mention that you could get a decently equipped Yaris, Versa, etc. and a few I'm not mentioning. These other options also get equal or better MPG on regular gas.

I "get" the 500, but it's not something one can make a value argument on, just like you can't make a value argument with the Smart. I think the 500 is cool, but the people who buy it are choosing cool over practicality and these days in the demographic the car is targeted at, practicality rules.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:12 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:

My friends have 12-15,000 square foot garages/ car parlors and spend megabucks on their hobby. They had the European versions of the Smart Car a couple of years prior to its introduction to the US market.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:39 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
But they could still sell the 500 for years like they have in Europe and like the New Beetle and MINI have been.
This isn't Europe. We don't appreciate small underpowered cars like Europe does. Eventually the cool factor will wear off, IMHO, and sales will level out.

Quote:
My friends have 12-15,000 square foot garages/ car parlors and spend megabucks on their hobby. They had the European versions of the Smart Car a couple of years prior to its introduction to the US market.
Everybody makes mistakes. Even your multiple wealthy friends who all have huge garages.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:42 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
I'm assuming your friends imported classic 500's, hence bypassing all of the BS associated with doing it on a newer car. The Euro Smart is/was easy to import since it is on the NHTSA pre-approved list. The 500 and in fact, no FIAT cars, are on the pre-approved list, so getting anything other than a classic into the US is virtually impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands