Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 04:12 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but are winter tires recommended for vehicles that are already 4WD? My Google search came across winter tires being recommended for SUVs, but I found nothing about whether the tires are recommended for 4WDs.

The vehicle I have also has vehicle stability assist, if that makes any difference.
You're going to get a lot of "shot's in the dark" advice that won't amount to hill of beans unless you tell us exactly what your vehicle is and where (generally) you live and or drive.

So far the "shooters" here are missing the mark by a long ways......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 04:20 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
if its cold and below 40 degress it dont matter what the vehicle or what your driving on.

regular tires harden as the temperature drops colder and colder giving you less grip even on dry pavement. winter tires stay soft and pliable hense the name winter tires and not just snow tires

Old 11-22-2011, 04:20 PM

3,993 posts, read 8,926,197 times
Engine braking isn't transferring power.
Neither is power coming from the road.

Accelerate up to 30 mph, then take your foot off the gas. The car will begin to slow. That's engine braking.

Engine braking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In a 4wd, all 4 wheels are connected through the transmission to the engine, so all 4 wheels are engine braked unless the clutch is pressed..

Possibly not always so noticeable in an auto depending what gear you are in, I drive older cars, so I'm not familiar with new models
However, in snow and ice, one should attempt to rely on engine braking to a greater extent, it's application isn't so sudden, and the wheels are much less likely to lock.
It's a much more gradual and gentle way to alter speed in bad conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I doubt that. Where do you get that? AWD usually only transfers power to non drive wheels after sensing slippage. Do you have a basis for saying all wheels are engaged when power is coming from the road to the engine? Cite?

Last edited by bobman; 11-22-2011 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: more detail

Old 11-22-2011, 04:21 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i too am ordering a set of blizzaks for my jeep sahara.i have always used winter tires on all my awd and 4x4's and there is a big difference.
Be sure to check Tire Rack. Mine were $122 plus about $11 shipping. No tax.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:24 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
Engine braking isn't transferring power.
Neither is power coming from the road.

Accelerate up to 30 mph, then take your foot off the gas. THe car will begin to slow. That's engine braking.

Engine braking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In a 4wd, all 4 wheels are connected through the transmission to the engine, so all 4 wheels are engine braked.

Agreed, not always so noticeable in an auto depending what gear you are in.

Power comes from gravity but is transmitted from the tires to the engine. I agree that 4wd has two wheel engine braking, but does AWD have 4 wheel engine braking. I'm open to accept it, but I can't see how it could happen since in most AWD you have one wheel drive unless the sensors detect rotation disparity and then engage the other wheels by fluid transfer. What would the rotation disparity be?

Old 11-22-2011, 04:31 PM

As I say in my post, I'm not sure how if works, maybe someone else can clear it up.

The diffs transfer power, but I don't believe they sense if it's being braked. It's done through torque sensors. If torque isn't being applied, then it can't sense.

Have you ever seen the videos of the LandRovers going down a near vertical hill iwithout usin the footbrake ?

They rely on engine braking mostly for that.

Different manufacturers may have different systems, but I've always been under the impression that all drive wheels are engine braked.

I'll stand before everyone and eat my words if I'm proved wrong, however !!

Quote:
Power comes from gravity but is transmitted from the tires to the engine. I agree that 4wd has two wheel engine braking, but does AWD have 4 wheel engine braking. I'm open to accept it, but I can't see how it could happen since in most AWD you have one wheel drive unless the sensors detect rotation disparity and then engage the other wheels by fluid transfer. What would the rotation disparity be?

** EDITED**

Taken from a Wikipedia article
Quote:
Advantages

In terms of handling, traction and performance, 4WD systems generally have most of the advantages of both front-wheel drive and rear-wheel drive. Some unique benefits are:
  • Traction is nearly doubled compared to a two-wheel drive layout. Given sufficient power, this results in unparalleled acceleration and driveability on surfaces with less than ideal grip, and superior engine braking on loose surfaces. The development of 4WD systems for high performance cars was stimulated primarily by rallying.
  • Handling characteristics in normal conditions can be configured to emulate FWD or RWD, or some mixture, even to switch between these behaviours according to circumstance. However, at the limit of grip, a well balanced 4WD configuration will not degenerate into either understeer or oversteer, but instead break traction of all 4 wheels at the same time into a four-wheel drift. Combined with modern electronic driving aids, this flexibility allows production car engineers a wide range of freedom in selecting handling characteristics that will allow a 4WD car to be driven more safely at higher speeds by inexpert motorists than 2WD designs.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:32 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
You're going to get a lot of "shot's in the dark" advice that won't amount to hill of beans unless you tell us exactly what your vehicle is and where (generally) you live and or drive.

So far the "shooters" here are missing the mark by a long ways......

First of all, with reference to a post elsewhere in this thread, I thought AWD and 4WD were different things? My understanding is that all 4 wheels engage or whatever they do with 4WD. I have a 4WD 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L.

I live in Manitoba, where it gets cold, cold, cold. Generally not much snow - we're too dry for that. At certain times there is of course more snow, and ice on the road.

We've always used all-seasons but it suddenly occurred to me that I've never heard of someone putting winter tires on a 4WD and I was wondering if that was because they aren't necessary because the 4WD solves the problem along with the stability assist, or whether it was because I just haven't heard of it

Old 11-22-2011, 04:37 PM

yep ,you just havent heard about it. the drive system is meaningless if the tires arent transmitting the power to the road.

you can see some great demos at tirerack.com as they show the differences in tests they perform .

i used to use all seasons but the difference when i started going to winter tires was night and day especially in stopping.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Be sure to check Tire Rack. Mine were $122 plus about $11 shipping. No tax.
i need wheels too as the 18" sahara tires are limited and expensive.
ill take the whole package from them ready to go.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:44 PM

If you get a bad winter, and have regular temperatures at or below 5ºC, then you should fit them. Especially if you expect snow. Modern studless tyres are just as good as studded tyres of old.

I live in Norway, and they make a HUGE difference

If it's 5-10º+, and largely snow free, then all seasons will be acceptable as a compromise, but they often suck in the wet, or if it's just a bit damp..

What we do here is to visit a breakers and buy another set of wheels so we can have winter or all season/ summer and change between.

I can't advise on tyre make, different makes might be available where you are, but stick to the well known makes. Michelin, Goodyear etc.
I see Blizzaks getting good props on here.

Remember, winter tyres may be expensive, but can you put a price on your life ?

You should also be sure to replace them if tread depth starts to drop below 4mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
First of all, with reference to a post elsewhere in this thread, I thought AWD and 4WD were different things? My understanding is that all 4 wheels engage or whatever they do with 4WD. I have a 4WD 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L.

I live in Manitoba, where it gets cold, cold, cold. Generally not much snow - we're too dry for that. At certain times there is of course more snow, and ice on the road.

We've always used all-seasons but it suddenly occurred to me that I've never heard of someone putting winter tires on a 4WD and I was wondering if that was because they aren't necessary because the 4WD solves the problem along with the stability assist, or whether it was because I just haven't heard of it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive