Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 07:32 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
My mom's circa 1986 civic had at least half of this list. My dad's circa 1985 accord had the full list. I didn't realize they were no longer part of the car..... until i was clicking around for a light in one car or another to plug in my charger.

I am sure some car maker is going to introduce a new brand, targeting young people, with optional tires. Under the guise of choosing your tires to optimize performance, MPG, or deal with your local weather. They will be a required purchase, and priced 50% over street prices.

I use my map light all the time. Not usually for the map, but to find something I left in the car. Or to see into the glovebox.

And I even have a map. I haven't used it. But it is a good backup for when your smartphone battery is dead. I wonder if kids even learn to read maps anymore.
I don't believe a 1985 Accord had all the items in your list. 12V plug in the back? Doubt it. In 1985 it was still a cigarette lighter, not a 12V outlet. The 2nd 12V outlet is a relatively new item, becoming common in the last ten years or so because of cell phones and their chargers.

I also don't believe a 1985 Accord had an overhead sunglasses holder.

Many German cars didn't have much in the way of cup holders for a long time - their makers didn't deem it a good idea to drink anything while driving.

With very few exceptions, I think your post is misleading at the least. Most vehicles have more features than ever - either standard or provided in a very common option package.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 07:55 PM

19,122 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Jade

You are apparently looking at very low-end models.
If you start looking at cars aimed more at the middle-class buyer (and above), you should see most, if not all, of the features that you listed.

Of the 18 features that you listed, my 2011 Subaru is lacking only one of them (#11), and that is because it is not a hatchback.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:57 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,905,247 times
The thing that bothers me most is not having a keyhole in either the passenger's door or in the trunklid. I absolutely refuse to carry a remote control for my car.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:24 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,015,984 times
not a bad list, i own a previous generation (mk5) jetta which had EVERYTHING listed plus more. As mentioned, they did to plenty of cost cutting techniques on the newest model, and the drum brakes were only the start. They also axed the four wheel independent rear suspension for a torsion beam on the base model (The Mk5 suspension is still used on the higher end GLI). Using the 2005-2010 jetta for comparison.

1. Map lights in the front (1 for driver, 1 for passenger, +2 independent red LEDs always on at night)
2. Dome lights in the back (got em)
3. Trunk lights (got em)
4. Driver's side armrests or center consoles (got both on both sides)
5. Passenger cup holders (two of em, pop out of the passenger arm rest)
6. 12 Volt plug in the back (2 in the cabin, 1 in the trunk)
7. Lighted glove box (got it)
8. Locked glove box (got it)
9. Ceiling sunglasses holder (got it)
10. lined or carpeted trunk (got em both)
11. interior handle on hatchback to shut the door (Not sure, rabbit/golf owners?)
12. Floor mats (got em)
13. Spare tire (got it, full size...but ugly steel wheel, oh well)
14. rear coat hooks (on each side w/ the "oh sh*t handles)
15. vanity mirrors (and illuminated vanity mirrors) (2 of em, both lit)
16. Back seat center arm rest (it houses the cup holders, and the optional emergency kit)
17. power windows for all seats (got those and each door is auto up/down...a feature i wish more cars had, she has power locks at all 4 doors too)
18. map pockets on the back of the seats (Got em, never use em)

To expand on the list.

The center console is a tad small, and I wish it was a little larger. It does however have a vent inside (as does the glove box) for keeping the compartments cool.

The 12v outlets in the cabin are both in the front seat area. Which is nice for driver/passenger wanting to charge accesories, but there's not help for rear seat passengers. It is nice to have a 12v outlet in the trunk for filling flats though.

There are adequate arm rests for all positions, along with storage in the doors and the previously mentioned rear glove box storage which can hold the optional emergency kit (flares, triangle, first aid kit. I think it's a european car requirement).

Floor mats at all four corners, and both sets of front mats use either a button type or twist type retainer to keep them from moving around, bunching up, or getting close to the accelerator. Also, the accelerator is floor hinged, so you'd have to get carpet WAY ONTOP of it in order to get it pinched or forced down.

The Jetta's trunk lid, floor and walls are all carpeted. The trunk is also cavernous for a car in that "compact" class, think it's either 14 or 16 cubic feet. The trunk uses external hinges (nothing that drops in the way) with a gas shock for opening which is very cleanly laid out. There's a ski pass through in the center console for carrying long objects (brooms, skis, 2x4's) or you can utilize the 60/40 split rear folding seats. If you still need more room, the front passenger seat folds flat to allow you to cram things from the rear bumper all the way to the dashboard. I actually purchased guttering for my house and got everything home in one trip in my standard sedan. The trunk also has a little "bag hook" that holds grocery bags or other things you don't want rolling around in your trunk.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
The thing that bothers me most is not having a keyhole in either the passenger's door or in the trunklid. I absolutely refuse to carry a remote control for my car.

For many recent vehicles without keyless start, the "remote" is also the key...so unless you carry the valet/maintenance key only...you'll have the remote on you anyway.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
Can't help on the passenger door, but i thought the same thing about the trunklid. Turned out it was under the lip where the license plate fits. Totally difficult to get to, but there nonetheless.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:40 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh56 View Post
VW has made some cost-cutting moves with their new gen Jetta. Some features include replacing the disc brakes from the last gen for drum brakes in the new one.
I had one for a comparison test recently. Shocking.

They did a good job of making it look good by being simple in design, but then you look closer up and yikes, the lack of quality is bad. It's el cheapo to the max and I think when they are 3 or 4 years old they are going to look pretty rough.

VW is on this quest for world domination and a massive increase in US sales and they are trying to get there on price. Good luck.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:46 PM

Agreed. VW was building some very high quality cars at "affordable" prices already...but in the quest to sell more than anyone else, they're cutting corners and building cars that will hopefully appeal to everyone and not just their "loyal" following. Unfortunately, if these new vehicles begin falling apart 3-5 years after they're built, VW will turn off potential buyers FOR LIFE!

I'm following the new B7 (North American) Passat very closely, as a TDi might be in my future within the next year and a half...but if problems seem more abundant than craftsmanship, i might find myself passing over the US built machine.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:50 PM

532 posts, read 1,464,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Items like CD Players or Sun Roofs that malfunction, the dealer will do nothing to effect a minor repair but insists on the replacement of the unit. I sure don't feel like paying $500 to replace a CD player in a Kia with 36K miles on it because there is a CD stuck in the changer

Chances are good that if a CD got stuck there was a reason and it will get stuck again,if it is only removed.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:52 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I've posted a few times in recent weeks about car shopping and such. I noticed during this process, how many former standard and obvious features are no longer available by default.

Here are some things I have noticed:

1. Map lights in the front
2. Dome lights in the back
3. Trunk lights
4. Driver's side armrests or center consoles
5. Passenger cup holders
6. 12 Volt plug in the back
7. Lighted glove box
8. Locked glove box
9. Ceiling sunglasses holder
10. lined or carpeted trunk
11. interior handle on hatchback to shut the door
12. Floor mats
13. Spare tire
14. rear coat hooks
15. vanity mirrors (and illuminated vanity mirrors)
16. Back seat center arm rest
17. power windows for all seats
18. map pockets on the back of the seats

What cost cutting measures have you noticed?
Gotta pay those union pensions somehow.

Besides....if people actually wanted those items....they would include them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive