U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 02:17 AM

511 posts, read 972,176 times

Advertisements

Just bought a used car. (A 2009 Hynadai Sonata) It had a few scratches and dings and a few dents too. I pointed all of them out and told them if they wanted the sale they would have to make the car look like new. On the sales document the salesman put that the dealer would repaint the bumper and clean up the imperfections of the car.

So when the car was delivered three days later (after the check was cashed) there was still one two inch long scrach on the car. The dealer said that was just normal wear and tear and would involve too much painting to fix and was too much to ask.

Considering the check had cleared and the loaner car already was turned in and it was cold and rainy, and I was 25 miles from home without another car, I frowned and accepted the car as is.

What would you do? Would you expect a Dealer would remove ALL the scatchs and dents from the USED CAR for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 02:36 AM

19,266 posts, read 14,764,089 times
No I wouldn't expect all the scratches to be removed. If it was brand new then yes no a scratch or a ding.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:39 AM

3,574 posts, read 4,035,805 times
If I wasn't happy with it, I wouldn't have accepted it and then tried to complain about it.

But no, I wouldn't expect them to remove everything, just what was agreed before sale.

If you want a new car, buy a new car.

If you can only afford a used car, then you will have to accept some imperfections.

Old 11-25-2011, 04:26 AM

29,748 posts, read 26,494,947 times
normal wear and tear and scratches and dings are all part of buying a used car. dont want that ? then you have to cough up the bucks for new.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:46 AM

8,410 posts, read 8,934,393 times
If that's exactly what was agreed to as part of the sale, then yes I'd expect it to be fixed. I'm betting that wasn't the case.

You should have inspected the car before turning in the loaner.

Based on your numerous threads, it sounds like you've been a victim in every aspect of this sale. There's no good reason for that to happen to someone who is prepared and educated on the process.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:04 AM

From the Orginal Poster:

I thought I told them to put on the sales invoice that they would fix all the dents and dings on the car but when I requested that from the dealer- my wife took the side of the salesman and started to argue with me that I was asking for too much. We started to fight and it made me look silly and petty, so I lost my ability to bargain. In the confusion the invoice was written with this statement: "clean up dings and dents on the car surface." It was so vauge that when I got the car back the dealer said he did follow up on the request as much as possible, and fixed the dents and dings but not all of them. He explained the two inch scratch would require too much work to fix and it WAS A USED CAR.

From the sounds of it, I will never bring my wife with me to purchase a car ever again because she sticks up for the competition and makes me look silly and petty!

And do you agree with the other posters that I was asking for too much anyway?

Old 11-25-2011, 07:34 AM
PDD

5,910 posts, read 6,047,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
From the Orginal Poster:

I thought I told them to put on the sales invoice that they would fix all the dents and dings on the car but when I requested that from the dealer- my wife took the side of the salesman and started to argue with me that I was asking for too much. We started to fight and it made me look silly and petty, so I lost my ability to bargain. In the confusion the invoice was written with this statement: "clean up dings and dents on the car surface." It was so vauge that when I got the car back the dealer said he did follow up on the request as much as possible, and fixed the dents and dings but not all of them. He explained the two inch scratch would require too much work to fix and it WAS A USED CAR.

From the sounds of it, I will never bring my wife with me to purchase a car ever again because she sticks up for the competition and makes me look silly and petty!

And do you agree with the other posters that I was asking for too much anyway?
Do you have any idea how much it costs to properly fix a ding, dent or even a two inch scratch in any car?
I didn't think so.
If you were not happy with the car you should not have bought it.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:05 AM

15,819 posts, read 31,799,789 times
I like scratches and dings. That way you do not have to expend the energy to get ticked off when you first scratch the car or find a door ding. It saves a lot of energy to be able to just say, "oh look, another ding, ohh well." I would not want a perfect car. I woudl be too worried about keeping it perfect.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:50 AM

14,459 posts, read 17,408,037 times
That dealer must have been pretty desperate for a sale to do even what they did for you. If they had wanted to, they could have had it totally fixed and asked a higher price for it, since they didn't the work they did cut into their profit and I think you were lucky to have gotten that much done. When buying used, if a vehicle has too many scratches and dings for your taste, keep looking for one in better shape, buy as-is for a lower amount and get the repairs done yourself, or go with new.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:09 AM

Yes, the car had sat on the lot for a few months collecting dust. We saw it and it looked rough and were all ready to move on to the next dealer when the salesman came by and told us that he could fix up the car to make it look ALMOST new. So we bought it.

Isn't it traditional for dealers to try to make their used cars look almost new to get them off the lot? I would think to make sales they would relize that they have to spend money to make money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That dealer must have been pretty desperate for a sale to do even what they did for you. If they had wanted to, they could have had it totally fixed and asked a higher price for it, since they didn't the work they did cut into their profit and I think you were lucky to have gotten that much done. When buying used, if a vehicle has too many scratches and dings for your taste, keep looking for one in better shape, buy as-is for a lower amount and get the repairs done yourself, or go with new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive