Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2011, 09:12 PM

532 posts, read 1,464,844 times

Advertisements

Looking to buy a new cell phone and it seems many of the new models are not listed on Garmins site to be compatible with the Nuvi 265w.

Hope I don't have to replace the GPS because of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 10:43 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,342,183 times
What type of cell phones are you looking for?

I only ask because an Android smart phone for instance, will render the Garmin close to pointless.

I can't say for certain when it comes to iPhones, but with every Android device, you have access to Google Maps with turn by turn navigation for both walkers, bikers and motorized vehicles.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
What type of cell phones are you looking for?

I only ask because an Android smart phone for instance, will render the Garmin close to pointless.

I can't say for certain when it comes to iPhones, but with every Android device, you have access to Google Maps with turn by turn navigation for both walkers, bikers and motorized vehicles.
You can't beat the GPS if you do a lot of driving for work.
It has a big touchscreen which is very visible ,easy to use ,speaks directions and is mounted on the dash .

Old 11-27-2011, 10:43 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,648,464 times
Other then the screen size, my EVO does the same, and before that my blackberries did it too. They also make mounts for smartphones.

The only downfall is if you lose cell signal. But then again you are in such a rural area its not hard to find your way around. And you will pick up a signal again.

On the flipside, you have up to date maps, reviews, etc.. all at the power of Google.

Google offers turn by turn directions as well as othere apps.

I have used my smartphones for years, in cities and going hiking in remote areas, its been very accurate. Even in Boston it had 3d visuals of the buildings while walking around, helped a lot.

And I usually take my phone with me so no one breaks into my car for it.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:48 AM

568 posts, read 2,419,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachouse View Post
It has a big touchscreen which is very visible ,easy to use ,speaks directions and is mounted on the dash .
Agreed. I have Google Maps on my Android. I like being able to have a satellite image on my Android, but when it comes down to everyday usability when driving, it doesn't compare to my Garmin or my in-dash navs. Plus, if you're driving somewhere with weak or no cell signal, the phone GPS is no good.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:01 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,342,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachouse View Post
Well, my phone does all those things, true the screen is 3.7", which is smaller than some GPS units, but the touch screen is easy to use and if I don't have the option of using it (heavy traffic for instance), I have a button that activates the voice commands, which also works fine.

The Google Navigation is turn by turn navigation, with voice, and you can chose between several different types views, including regular map (goes dark at night), satellite view or traffic view to name some, traffic view is very useful at times, as it can guide you around bad congestions.

I've only ever dropped the GPS signal once, and it was only gone for about 10 minutes in rural Kansas, the GPS signal is separate from the phone signal, as in two different antennas, and will only lose signal when there aren't any satellites available, just like your GPS. The positive thing with your a phone though is that it can navigate using aGPS as well (essentially through the internet and GSM band), which can be very useful in big citys where skyscrapers and high rises can block out a satellite signal.

So the only thing I would argue the phone might not do as good as a standalone GPS unit is display it on a bigger screen, but there are 4" cell phones around, and the same concept is available on all Android Tablets too, including the 10" Samsung.

If you're not impressed, and still want to find out if a new phone will pair with your GPS, why not take it into the store (the GPS I mean) and pair it with the display handset, to see if it'll do it?

Old 11-27-2011, 12:56 PM

Have to admit thats a good idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive