Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 06:48 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,015,984 times

Advertisements

Which car is this again? Fan belt? I thought you purchased some late model front wheel drive vehicle, and the vast majority of them don't have fan belts...they have serpentine belts to drive the accessories (alternator, power steering pump, air conditioning, water pump) but the fan is electrically powered and hooked directly behind the radiator...I know there are a few vehicles left that use a clutch fan still, but i thought you purchased some standard FWD modern vehicle?

Metal on Metal sound while accelerating could be exhaust, and it could be coming from somewhere close to the engine. All that exhaust that exits out of the back of the car originates at the engine, heat shields on catalytic converters do come loose, and when the engine is revved during acceleration things flex, and vibrate. A loose heat shield will vibrate as engine revs increase, and may even stop after a certain amount of increase. Does the sound correspond only at times of gear shifts? It could be engine/transmission related, best bet...pop the hood, get out, rev the motor using the throttle body from outside the car (while under the hood) see if the sound continues...if it does, try to locate it. Also, if you can hear the car from slow speed while accelerating see if a friend can drive the car down your street or in your driveway and see if you can see or hear anything during those times, might help you narrow it down.

If you don't have tons of mechanical know how, i doubt you'll be fixing a bad transmission or a spun bearing by yourself. If the car is still under a warranty, and you're not suffering from buyers remorse (as mentioned in a different thread) take it in, and see what they can find.

And as stated earlier, belts are wear items and should be replaced...they're not covered under bumper to bumper, or engine only warranties. Same is true with things like brakes, fluids, wipers, CV Boots etc...However a Bad ABS sensor, a wiper motor, and a driveshaft would all be covered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 09:52 PM

373 posts, read 710,190 times
You need to have a real mechanic jack the car up and check for the noise...You can guess all day long but a real mechanic can find the source of the noise in minutes...believe me.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:38 AM

511 posts, read 2,450,844 times
Default They fixed it!

I brought it in to the dealer and they fixed it! It WAS the HEAT SHEILD, which was replaced and a bolt connected to the heat shield was also replaced. There is no more noise. No cost, all done under the bumper to bumper warranty. Life is good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive