Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2011, 04:19 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times

Advertisements

I drive a 2001 Kia Rio. (automatic)

Recently, the gear knob came loose and I took it to the dealer.

They ordered a bolt and that tightened it up perfect "but" after I left the dealership, the "Over-Drive OFF light" came on.

I pressed the small button, located on the shifter, which usually turns it back on and it would not come on/or the light go off. When I drive it, I do not believe is in over-drive.

Also, the belt is squealing again. I notice it is ONLY when I turn the heater on. I have taken it back 2 times. Prior to them changing the belts, I never had a squealing issue.

So my questions are:

1. If I do not drive it in over-drive, will this have much affect on gas mileage, ect? Why do you think the light is on and why can't I engage the over-drive? ( the button is located right next to the shifter button on the side where you press, to move the shifter) Can anyone explain over-drive to me. I have always drove it with over-drive ON (hope that's okay)

2. What might cause the belt to squeal when I turn the heater on? This of course, only happens when the car is cold. They tightened the belts and this continues..

I have to take it back again. They want to keep it overnight to "hear" the squeal in the morning. This is rough for me, as I need my car. Is there any other way they can hear the squeal without me leaving my car overnight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 06:20 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,835,336 times
Overdrive is some additional gearing usually located at the end of the transmission near the tail shaft that allows for a higher drive ratio. It "overdrives" the output of the transmission, so instead of a 1:1 ratio you get slightly higher output; for example maybe 1.2:1. Normally, the only time it is active is when you are cruising at highway speeds and it allows you to get better gas mileage. In most modern cars it is electronically controlled and can be turned off with a button such as in your case. You should always just leave it on and get better gas mileage. My guess is that the wiring to the button was broken and has shorted out either while you were using it before the repair or during the repair itself. You would need to check the button and trace the wires from it to find the short.

The squeal is most likely coming from the belt. It may happen when you turn the heater on if you have it in defrost or one of the heat/defrost dual settings because most cars kick the A/C compressor on every once in a while when the defroster is on to cycle it so it doesn't develop problems from not being used for months during the winter. The actual cause of the squealing could be a number of things such as A/C compressor bearings starting to fail and are hard for the belt to turn when first activated, the same thing for a belt tensioner pully, or the belt could just simply be slipping when it first starts because it is so cold and hard. If it is just simply the belt being cold and hard, mechanics often spray it with WD40 and it will go away for a while. There is a product sold in most auto parts stores that is for belt squeal but its just a petroleum distillate sort of like WD40.

Most likely if you want the mechanics to hear and see the squeal happen, they will have to have it overnight or at least long enough for the engine to get completely cooled off.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Overdrive is some additional gearing usually located at the end of the transmission near the tail shaft that allows for a higher drive ratio. It "overdrives" the output of the transmission, so instead of a 1:1 ratio you get slightly higher output; for example maybe 1.2:1. Normally, the only time it is active is when you are cruising at highway speeds and it allows you to get better gas mileage. In most modern cars it is electronically controlled and can be turned off with a button such as in your case. You should always just leave it on and get better gas mileage. My guess is that the wiring to the button was broken and has shorted out either while you were using it before the repair or during the repair itself. You would need to check the button and trace the wires from it to find the short.

The squeal is most likely coming from the belt. It may happen when you turn the heater on if you have it in defrost or one of the heat/defrost dual settings because most cars kick the A/C compressor on every once in a while when the defroster is on to cycle it so it doesn't develop problems from not being used for months during the winter. The actual cause of the squealing could be a number of things such as A/C compressor bearings starting to fail and are hard for the belt to turn when first activated, the same thing for a belt tensioner pully, or the belt could just simply be slipping when it first starts because it is so cold and hard. If it is just simply the belt being cold and hard, mechanics often spray it with WD40 and it will go away for a while. There is a product sold in most auto parts stores that is for belt squeal but its just a petroleum distillate sort of like WD40.

Most likely if you want the mechanics to hear and see the squeal happen, they will have to have it overnight or at least long enough for the engine to get completely cooled off.
Thank you,

I talked to the manager and I am bringing back in tomorrow.

I appreciate your great advice

Old 11-28-2011, 05:08 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,671,924 times
I'm going to guess they just forgot to reconnect the wire to the button, or else there's a "trick" to getting it securely connected up on this model that they don't know. When you bring it back, they'll try again, and hopefully, get it right.

They might tighten the belt for free, but if it's getting worn out, they will recommend replacement. You could just ask them to replace it, then you won't have to worry about it again for a very long time.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
I'm going to guess they just forgot to reconnect the wire to the button, or else there's a "trick" to getting it securely connected up on this model that they don't know. When you bring it back, they'll try again, and hopefully, get it right.

They might tighten the belt for free, but if it's getting worn out, they will recommend replacement. You could just ask them to replace it, then you won't have to worry about it again for a very long time.
They are going to have to replace the shifter. I guess when it came loose, something sc***ed up inside. I was in a hurry and had to go to work so I did not get the full scope of the problem today. They have ordered a new shifter unit.

They also replaced a tensioner bolt on the belt? (hope that makes sense) related to the squealing belt. (The belts are brand new, after they installed them, the squealing started)

Thanks again,

Old 11-30-2011, 05:46 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,835,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
They are going to have to replace the shifter. I guess when it came loose, something sc***ed up inside. I was in a hurry and had to go to work so I did not get the full scope of the problem today. They have ordered a new shifter unit.

They also replaced a tensioner bolt on the belt? (hope that makes sense) related to the squealing belt. (The belts are brand new, after they installed them, the squealing started)

Thanks again,
The original shifter probably could have been fixed. Its most likely a broken wire that could have been repaired but that is not what the dealer repair shops do; they just replace things until the fix it.

Sounds like the belt squealing was the belt tensioner as I had mentioned as a likely cause. The bearings in them go bad after a while which makes the pully hard to turn and makes the belt squeal.

Good luck, hope they get it all straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive