Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 04:24 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,206,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
That sucks. It's never cool to see any vehicle go up in flames.
Yup. Sucks, but you can't assume anything.

I mean, it could ahve started with the truck, as Ford trucks are known to burn down...

https://www.google.com/search?q=car+...&bih=786#imgrc=_
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 05:27 PM

24,310 posts, read 25,820,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Strange this thread to be up. The wife and I decided to eat at an out of town steak house this evening. When we got there the parking lot was fairly full but I found a spot next to a new Volt with dealer paper plates still on it. It was a pretty candy apple red car. When we got out I could smell a hot car/truck. I've never had the issue with my truck so I moved the truck away from the Volt. Came out from eating and they were towing off what was left of the burned out Volt hulk. A fairly new King Ranch F250 was also burnt pretty bad on the passenger side. That would have been my truck if I hadn't moved. I didn't bother to ask about what caused the car to go to flames but there wasn't much left to salvage. Scratch one Volt.
So you smell the excessive heat from another car/truck and didn't mention it to anyone?

Then you didn't notice any commotion outside with the fire or fire dept.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:21 AM

Drover, this is at the end of all older threads, and it implies that the management would rather bump an old thread rather than start a new one, so the "zombie thread" insults are out of line....

Old 06-10-2013, 07:58 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,794,286 times
Yeh, boo hoo & stuff.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:18 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,726,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberguy1950 View Post
Quote:
The Volt's battery cells are produced by LG Chem in South Korea and subsequently shipped to the US, where the battery packs are assembled at a purpose-built facility in Brownstown Township, Michigan owned and operated by General Motors.

Compact Power, the North American subsidiary of LG Chem, is building a battery plant in Holland, Michigan to manufacture the advanced battery cells for the Volt and other carmakers, with capacity to produce enough cells for 50,000 to 200,000 battery packs per year.

The US$303 million Holland plant was funded by 50% U.S. Department of Energy matching stimulus funds and is planned to open by mid 2012.

I don't even think they've produced anything since they opened in Holland

Old 06-10-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
I don't even think they've produced anything since they opened in Holland

Actually, they have. they were on rotating furloughs through the end of 2012, working 3 weeks per month, but have picked up since then as they make the batteries for the Volt, Spark EV, Electric Ford Focus, and more. They made the battery pack in my 2013 Volt, as well as 7500 other Volts that have been sold this year so far. The Spark EV has also just recently gone on sale, and the Focus EV is meeting sales goals. So the Holland plant is running as planned.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:51 PM

41,478 posts, read 59,572,644 times
I just wish they were less costly. Forty grand is way over my budget.

FWIW - a fuel line on my 1974 SAAB 99 ruptured but I smelled the fuel and shut the engine down before it caught fire. The problem was a defective layout of the high pressure fuel supply pipe to the injectors. I fixed it with a short length of hard line and a couple of connectors.

I have seen several car fires in the last few years. I'll bet they were the result of ageing flex tubing or broken connectors. I sugest you all carry ABC fire extinguishers along just in case.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I just wish they were less costly. Forty grand is way over my budget.
Anyone who pays $40k for one right now is DIW. They lease out like a $28k car, and with internet incentives and government tax incentives, you should be able to get one well under $30k. And leasing is the way to go. Never buy early adopter tech like this, as it'll be obsolete before the payment book is use up.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:37 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,517,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Strange this thread to be up. The wife and I decided to eat at an out of town steak house this evening. When we got there the parking lot was fairly full but I found a spot next to a new Volt with dealer paper plates still on it. It was a pretty candy apple red car. When we got out I could smell a hot car/truck. I've never had the issue with my truck so I moved the truck away from the Volt. Came out from eating and they were towing off what was left of the burned out Volt hulk. A fairly new King Ranch F250 was also burnt pretty bad on the passenger side. That would have been my truck if I hadn't moved. I didn't bother to ask about what caused the car to go to flames but there wasn't much left to salvage. Scratch one Volt.
Cute story, but I don't believe a word of it.... everything is just too convenient in the story. Dealer Plates? And the evil liberal electric car victimized a poor F250 king ranch. (A REAL MANS TRUCK!). In this day and age that would have been easy to find some proof of this event. A Volt catching fire after the NHTSA gave it the all clear would have been a wet dream, money shot for opponents of the Volt. People just casually dined while a giant inferno happened in the parking lot? No one heard sirens?

Merc63, I have friends who shared the same imbecilic stories as the EV haters here when I mentioned I went to test drive a Tesla S and was seriously considering one (still am) At least 3 people in the room had dumb comments like: Don't those cars catch on fire? I heard they explode on impact. I heard they burned a guys house down. Just stupid stuff lecturing me about Tesla. (There is NOT ONE case of a Tesla catching on fire) I can't believe how well the propaganda machine is working. I guess I don't understand the psychology of people who have vitriolic hatred for anything other than a V-8. For the record I own 2 huge gas guzzlers. A CLS55 (14mpg if lucky) and an 07' F150 which gets about the same, slightly better maybe. After driving the Tesla S for a day I don't feel I need would need the CLS55 anymore, and would be fine with selling it, push comes to shove there are always $2000 junker cars.

As far as EV haters go....

Republicans find a new target: ObamaCars | Global Automakers

these aren't hybrids

• General Motors is recalling almost 3,500 of its 2010 Cadillac SRX models with either the 2.8- or 3-liter V-6 engines because of a possible fire hazard. The automaker said the power steering pressure line may have been damaged and could leak. Such a leak could require additional effort by the driver, and if the fluid is sprayed on hot engine parts a fire could occur, the automaker said. G.M. told the safety agency it learned of the problem early in August after a number of SRX fires. The automaker said it was not aware of any injuries.

Where are the internet posts showing what a hazard SRXs are?

GM is recalling 413,418 Chevrolet Cruzes, its best-selling car model in the US last year, because liquids can be trapped near the engine and catch fire, the Detroit-based company said on Saturday in an e- mailed statement. The company has received 30 reports of fires, said Alan Adler, a GM spokesman.

Yet the volt is a piece of crap that catches on fire? There have not been 30 Volt fires. acording to a forbes article "NHTSA says it is not aware of any such fires occurring in real-world crashes.
"

Chevy Volt Battery Fires Threaten All Electric Vehicle Makers, Not Just GM - Forbes

but there are more gas powered vehicles that are being/have been recalled for fire.

Chrysler has issued a recall for the V6 version of the 2013 Dodge Challenger over the possibility of a wiring harness that could short circuit and lead to a fire. Owners of these V6 Challengers built from November 2012 through January 2013 are being urged to contact dealers immediately and, in the meantime, not to drive their cars or park in or near any buildings.

BMW is recalling 504,545 vehicles due to a problem in the electrical system that could cause unexpected stalling, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
The affected cars include model-year 2008-12 1 Series coupes and convertibles, 2007-11 3 Series coupes and convertibles, 2007-11 3 Series sedans and wagons and 2009-11 Z4 roadsters The connector for the positive battery cable connector and the corresponding terminal on the fuse box may degrade over time. The high current flow and heat from electrical resistance may break the connection, resulting in a loss of electrical power. This could cause the vehicle to stall, increasing the risk of a crash.Mercedes-Benz is recalling a broad range of vehicles from the 2011 and 2012 model years to fix a problem that could cause fuel leaks and possibly lead to fires. The recall affects 5,800 vehicles built from April 18 through July 12, 2011.
Toyota
is recalling 7.43 million vehicles globally, including 2.47 million cars and light trucks sold in the U.S., due to a potential fire hazard involving power-window switches.
The recall affects cars made between July 2005 and May 2010—including the Camry, Corolla, Tundra, Yaris, Highlander, RAV4, Sequoia and Matrix models—sold in Japan, North America, Europe, China, the Middle East, and Oceania, the company said. The problem is a faulty seal on a master switch inside the driver’s door. If liquid seeps inside it, it could overheat and the door itself could catch fire.
Japan's biggest auto maker called it the largest recall ever for a single part.
Ford Motor
is recalling 5,499 of their 2012 Edge Crossover vehicles equipped with 2.0 liter engines. The fuel line pulse damper metal housing may crack as a result of an improper manufacturing process. A fuel leak could result from the crack causing a fire.

Ford is recalling 11,500 Escapes with the 1.6-liter EcoBoost engine in the U.S. and Canada after three reported fires: one from a Canadian customer, the other two from Ford employees en route from the Louisville, Ky., plant to a shipping area. No one was injured. Owners are advised to ask dealers to pick up their Escape for repair and arrange a loaner vehicle, said Ford spokeswoman Marcey Zwiebel.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:47 AM

Yup. We drive around in rolling liquid bombs and don't think twice about it, and yet get scared of electric cars, which have been proven to be safer so far. I agree with you that it is a propoganda machine that subtly gets the ball rolling and lets people's love of fear snowball into all sorts of anti-EV talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC