Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 01:47 AM

511 posts, read 2,450,994 times

Advertisements

I have been thinking of purchasing an extended warranty on my new (used) cars but after reviewing my auto expenses over the last twenty years- which I have on a spreadsheet, every penny, I have determined historically I spend very little money on car repairs. The majority of my money is spent on maintenance vs repairs.

I define maintenance as things that just wear out and need to be replaced. For example: tires, batteries, alternator, radiator, hoses, starter, alignment, brakes, fuel filter, fuel pump, spark plugs, shocks, struts, oil changes, tune ups (due to worn out spark plugs), etc.

Rarely have I had to actually bring a car in for a repair which I define as: air conditioner, transmission, engine failure, electric windows, etc.

Don't you assume that most of the the things on my maintenance list will need to be replaced within 100,000 miles of driving and will not be covered by a warranty anyway?

* What is the extended life cycle of the things on my maintenance list above and if each of those things needed to be replaced once every 100,000 miles what would be the cost in 2011 dollars for parts and labor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 01:53 AM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,147 times
I spend more on maintenance - perhaps more than I need to - but I figure it's like going to the doctor - preventative care that'll save money and extend the life of my car.

That, and cars are getting better and better, the amount of needed repairs is going down and down.

My wife and I have had both our cars for 5 years - all repairs were the result of damage caused by human error.

My general view on insurance (warranty) is that the less expensive/serious the thing insured/warrantied against, the less necessary it is. The odds are that you won't need it, after all. Now, the odds are low I'll need open heart surgery, but it'll cost 500,000 if I do - how much does the extended warranty cost, and even if you do need repairs, how much more expensive are they likely to be than the warranty you paid for?

Old 11-29-2011, 02:09 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
maintenance.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:08 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Other than the routine maintenance, including battery, brakes and tires, I have 1 vehicle that has gone 55,000 with no repairs needed, another at 90,000 with only hood strut replacement, another that went 150,000
before needing a clutch and soon after an evaporative cannister solenoid. You should expect to get 100,000 miles before having to spend money on repairs with anything newer than about 1996. I would never again pay for an extended warranty. Chances are what goes out won't be covered anyway.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:49 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
What a question.
Is there a responsible option that doesn't include doing maintenance?

Old 11-29-2011, 07:32 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
I had new spark plug wires put on over the summer to correct a misfire problem so that might have been a little of both maintenance and repair. Other than that it was just oil changes, car washes and gas/oil. Last year and the year previous it was more extensive maintenance since the car in now almost 13 years old. A gasket blew which cost almost $900, something that was common on GM cars and usually occurred within a few years. Before that it was new front brakes and rotors. Maintenance before that was new plugs, new light bulbs, wipers, a transmission fluid flush, coolant sytem flush and new air filter and a new battery.
I get it inspected in a month and it will need new rear brakes and I'll get a new fuel filter. I've also been watching the serpentine belt which is just starting to show a little wear. I'll have the water pump replaced when I get that done but that might be closer to summer. I wonder about the hoses which are original but still look okay.
Its also due for an oil change today and I'll get it washed. The car has under 90k miles, the paint is still great, no rust, just a few parking lot dings and stone chips. No oil consumption, no leaks, no transmission slips, knock wood.
I see cars beat and run into the ground and thats a major concern if you are looking for a used car. I think larger cars don't get abused or neglected so much. Go for a Buick or a car owned by an older driver.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:45 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
I define maintenance as things that just wear out and need to be replaced. For example: tires, batteries, alternator, radiator, hoses, starter, alignment, brakes, fuel filter, fuel pump, spark plugs, shocks, struts, oil changes, tune ups (due to worn out spark plugs), etc.

Rarely have I had to actually bring a car in for a repair which I define as: air conditioner, transmission, engine failure, electric windows, etc.

?
Maintainance myself. By the way, the starter, radiator, alternator, and fuel pump are not regular maintainance items. They are above and beyond which is why they are warrenty items on new cars. I have never changed one of those on any of my vehicles with the exception of my wife's Oldsmobile. My 92 4Runner has all original ones as does my wife's 2004 CRV.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:00 AM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Maintenance. Haven't to pay for a repair in a while. (knock on wood)

Warranties are more for peace of mind, but I wouldn't own certain cars without one. I'm thinking of the usual offenders, Audi/VW, Range Rover, etc.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:25 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
What a question.
Is there a responsible option that doesn't include doing maintenance?
Yes. If you specifically buy cheap project cars that need major work that you can DIY cheaply, vs buying a newer car that only needs maintenance.

I've spent more on repairs than maintenance on my BMW 740iL, but that was bought cheaply with high miles and most repairs were preventative (and not expensive). And I love the car so repairing it is a better option to me than replacing it.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:30 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,968,943 times
maintenance for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive