Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 08:52 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
I used to have and use one of those. It basically consisted of an adapter that screwed in the spark plug hole, and connected to an air compressor. The compressed air kept the valves shut, and the other tool was like a special "crowbar" that compressed the valve springs. Pretty slick.
Not quite, but I have seen that type. The air is std, and you can either use a adapted compression tester wand, hose etc which is std with a 2 piece gauge or better a leak down test wand, which is the same fitting as my air tools have... That much holds up the valves. The pistons need to be at TDC just because the cam needs to be off any valves, lifters push rods what have you.

On this engine i am guessing there is still push rods... These might be bent....

As to the tool i have it looked like a battery terminal puller. There is a bracket with 2 hooks and one hook arm is a little longer than the other. In the center is a screw and it has a cheap handle a lot like a tap holder, so the handle can slip from side to side in the event something is in the way, like a tap handle will.

Usually in use the valve keepers hang up and the bottom of the spring lifts up. A tap on the top of the tool screw with a light ball peen hammer will usually set the keepers free... make sure there is clean white rags all around so no keepers get lost.

Valve Keepers are semi circle wedges made of steel and these have mating ridges that when 2 keepers combined form a ring to grip the valve stem. Some keepers have 2 rings and others have just one.

Do not Loose the keepers! They are not very big...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 09:23 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Default Valve spring longevity

A friend of mine had a 6 yr old Jeep drop 3 valves due to broken valve springs at 100,000 miles. Do any of you know if this happens frequently with jeeps as well as other Chrysler products? This car was properly maintained by an airline pilot that is obsessed with maintenance.

IN the OP's case, as he is racing this car, I would expect to change valve springs ever 20 runs or so. Under racing conditions valve springs are consumable items to be replaced on a conservative schedule. I also recommend you contact a reputable cylinder head supplier and use their valve train products from heads to keepers and follow their replacement recommendations. Remember a dropped valve costs a lot more than having to replace the valve springs. This is racing. It costs whatever it takes to win.

I do not recommend this much maintenance for street machines driven in a reasonable manner. For this use following the manufactures recommended maintenance should be adequate.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:20 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,779,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
One of these will make your problems go away...

Buick Grand National rumored to return | Fox News
No thanks. They don't have the styling cues as the original Grand National had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive