U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-07-2011, 01:37 PM

8,205 posts, read 10,115,980 times
OK. let's keep this tire pressure thing in perspective. The tire pressure determines the foot print of the tire. Nothing more. OK, a flat tire has a humongous foot print and a lot of sidewall flex and will come off the rim and make a big mess. But, anything about around 6 psi, all you are talking about is how big the foot print is and how much the sidewall flexes. This is true, notwithstanding that our nation's President thinks that the oil crisis can be solved by checking tire pressure more often. (Harvard Moron).

Anyway, a 5 psi difference in tire pressure will affect fuel consumption and tire life, but it is not a safety hazard unless you are trying to burn up the Mojave Desert in the middle of July with 5 kids, a mother in law and your entire wardrobe on board. Or, you have a ten year old tire that has been run into the curb a thousand times already.

This is really no big deal. A tire 5 psi low will put 25 square inches on the pavement instead of 22. Big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-07-2011, 02:51 PM

8,961 posts, read 7,033,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
OK. let's keep this tire pressure thing in perspective. The tire pressure determines the foot print of the tire. Nothing more. OK, a flat tire has a humongous foot print and a lot of sidewall flex and will come off the rim and make a big mess. But, anything about around 6 psi, all you are talking about is how big the foot print is and how much the sidewall flexes. This is true, notwithstanding that our nation's President thinks that the oil crisis can be solved by checking tire pressure more often. (Harvard Moron).

Anyway, a 5 psi difference in tire pressure will affect fuel consumption and tire life, but it is not a safety hazard unless you are trying to burn up the Mojave Desert in the middle of July with 5 kids, a mother in law and your entire wardrobe on board. Or, you have a ten year old tire that has been run into the curb a thousand times already.

This is really no big deal. A tire 5 psi low will put 25 square inches on the pavement instead of 22. Big deal.
To encourage people to adapt a laissez-faire attitude as you've expressed is the unkindest cut of all. It is permission to uneducated to commit lazy dangerous maintenance on a key critical component of every vehicle.

Unread 12-07-2011, 02:54 PM

27,830 posts, read 15,577,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
It's become so much of an ordeal that whenever I have to fill the tires, I'll fill them all the way to the sidewall max.. and wait many months until they're about 5 psi below the manufacturer's recommendation before filling them all the way to sidewall max.

I know that underinflated tires are very hazardous.. I also know it's probably not a good idea to run the tires at the sidewall max either. But being such an inconvenient and awkward ordeal, I procrastinate filling until the last minute (5 psi under) and fill them to the max. Maybe i'm clumsy but it's so difficult angling the pump nozzle so that the air ends up in the tires and does not end up taking air out of the tires instead. And don't get me started about using a separate tire pressure gauge and having to realign the pump nozzle back again to pump air. Turning on the pump and being able to fill 1 tire in 1 round before the pump shuts off is a success (relatively speaking.)

Is there any viable alternative to pulling up to those air pumps at them gas stations? Any recommendations for air pumps to buy instead?
I'm in the same boat. Recently bought a nice electric powered air compressor from ACE hardware for about $80. Light and effective and better than doling out 75cents over and over. Wish I'd bought one years ago.

Unread 12-07-2011, 02:58 PM

8,205 posts, read 10,115,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Your lazy attitude towards correct tire PSI is costing you tire life while you risk your life when your tires are not maintained properly. Gotta death wish??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
To encourage people to adapt a laissez-faire attitude as you've expressed is the unkindest cut of all. It is permission to uneducated to commit lazy dangerous maintenance on a key critical component of every vehicle.
Nice remarks.

Unread 12-07-2011, 02:58 PM

34,928 posts, read 50,703,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Is there any viable alternative to pulling up to those air pumps at them gas stations? Any recommendations for air pumps to buy instead?
You can buy an air pump that plugs into your cig lighter for as little as $15. If you get your oil changed at a quick-lube place, they will typically inflate your tires for free until the next change interval.

Unread 12-07-2011, 03:13 PM

744 posts, read 543,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Nice remarks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You can buy an air pump that plugs into your cig lighter for as little as $15. If you get your oil changed at a quick-lube place, they will typically inflate your tires for free until the next change interval.
Get a husband, make him do it.

Unread 12-07-2011, 03:39 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,688,189 times
If the max is marked at 35-36 PSI, it's probably not too big a deal. If it's like a lot of tires that are marked at 44-45, um, please stop doing that.

Fill up at a Full-Service station once a month, and tip the pump jockey $5 to check and fill all your tires. (Tip is optional, but appreciated, and is a small price if you really hate doing it so much.)

Also, make sure they check/fill every time you have an oil change or other service.

Unread 12-07-2011, 03:58 PM

9,095 posts, read 10,287,415 times
I use my good bicycle pump with a built in gauge; you know, the big ones that you stand on and have a T-handle and you pump up and down. Car tires don't run as high pressure as bicycle tires so the pumping isn't as hard as pumping a bike tire. However because you have to fill more volume you have to pump more times. Anyway it sure as Hell works better than the lousy coin operated pumps in gas stations.

Unread 12-07-2011, 06:30 PM

19,454 posts, read 9,790,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
Get a husband, make him do it.
I tell my husband to go play with his own cars and keep his paws off mine.

Unread 12-09-2011, 12:58 AM

3,440 posts, read 1,902,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

Years ago my sister made that mistake and they put in about 25lbs too much, it looked like they kept adding air until it "looked" full which can be very dangerous.

Knowing how to check and add air is another thing that should be required to get a Driver's License.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive