Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 02:14 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,626,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
How about we punish the people doing something wrong and leave everyone else alone.
Maybe if someone that was texting or talking on a cell phone and slammed into the rear end of your car and put you or one of your family members in the hospital for a while would be reason enough to change your tune. By the way, texting and driving is doing something wrong. You can't pick and choose the laws that you want to abide by, even though you don't like them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 02:53 PM

21,865 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
If you drive like that in NC and **** somebody off especially if you hit them I would be more concerned about getting out of town alive. In most states pissed off people flip you the bird in NC a lot of people carry.
Yes, because I'm going to magically hit someone while not moving...

Old 12-09-2011, 02:54 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,210,172 times
WHEW!

Good thing I only text and drive in Texas!

Old 12-09-2011, 03:23 PM

25,845 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
How about we punish the people doing something wrong and leave everyone else alone.
I was agreeing with you that it wouldn't work to use the GPS to block the features.

So are you saying that texting and driving is not wrong? I wonder how many people have been killed due to this so far?

Old 12-09-2011, 03:58 PM

373 posts, read 710,190 times
There is nothing anyone can do to keep people (seems like teen girls are the worst offenders) from texting/ messing with cell phone while driving. Knowing that insurance companys are now interested in ways to charge cell phone users much more and the cops are confiscating the phones and or records of cell phone use of drivers in accidents. Soon if you cause an accident while using the phone while driving you will get an insurance increase or cancellation along with driving points and then be sued in court by your victims who then can take every thing you got not to mention you going to jail....The sooner the better.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:42 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times
I wouldn’t go that far as many folks will need medical help or need to call the ploice for help from a running auto.
I’ve called my orthopedic surgeon at home while on my way to the hospital . I’d hate to loose that option.
(I'm a repete client and I ski with him at the local ski area.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
NO! If the engines running the cell phone is disabled. Period!
The same could be said for any fine, it’s suppose to be a deterrent. Many “kids” don’t have a lot of disposable income.

Only a small part of any fine goes to pay the police Dept. salary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Ah but it's not about stopping the problem, it's about increasing revenue for the state. Doubling the fine = free money for the same investment in the Officer's salary.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:53 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Nearly all "accidents" are caused by one or both of two factors:

1. Inattentive driving
2. Overestimating driving skill

Texting is just one of many ways that contributes conspicuously to #1, and partly to #2 ("Sure, I can drive and text at the same time".)

Old 12-12-2011, 12:30 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,846,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Only a small part of any fine goes to pay the police Dept. salary
I never said the increased fine pays the officer's salary. What I said is that it's a free bit of revenue, because doubling the fine will bring in more money without having to invest anything additional. Poof, out of thin air. Just because they can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive