Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 04:13 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Agreed. A Subaru with good tires can easily handle 9-12 inches + of snow on the roads without any problem.

I just wanted to say...........see that Subaru up there, behind tha 4 Runner?

No way that thing is doing a foot of snow. Unless, of course, you're using it as a plow.

edit: awwww....I quoted a year old comment. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 04:26 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,151,143 times
THis is what they use over here for Green Laning (Off Roading).

http://www.westwaleslaning.co.uk/resources/groups.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3117/...91dc9950_o.jpg
http://www.bluezuk.co.uk/offroadpics...enlaning21.jpg
http://img806.imageshack.us/img806/9817/dscf1658n.jpg

Old 11-07-2012, 07:43 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,767,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
At least the wrangler is still being made. But here is a thought. If you like the ruggedness of the older 4X's---lets just throw out a couple of examples like the early broncos, scout, or even the larger broncos, K5 blazers, and ramchargers. What about buying one in decent shape and putting a modern fuel injected motor and rebuild the axles with the latest gears and upgraded breaks and suspension components. Add some new style comfortable seats, etc, etc,.. you would probably spend about the same as you would for a new vehicle but have a truly rugged and capable truck with old school durability and modern reliability, comfort, and safety.
I wanted to do that with my 1995 F150 4x4 and got bashed on CD for even thinking that was a good idea. Said spending about 15000.00, my cost, was stupid.

So I bought a 25,000.00 2011 F150 4x4. I love it but not built as strong as my 1995 and cost 10,000.00 more. Hmmmm...

Old 11-07-2012, 09:11 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,126 times
I've got no problems with my '12 Grand Cherokee, IFS or not. It's a hell of a lot more comfortable than my old '01 Cherokee, more power and for my uses, just as capable. I need to be able to drive in snow (here in VA, we either get 2 inches or a foot+, not much in between), otherwise I'm driving on old fire roads, power easements, etc or out at family property where there's no roads to speak of.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:10 AM

14 posts, read 14,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
I've got no problems with my '12 Grand Cherokee, IFS or not. It's a hell of a lot more comfortable than my old '01 Cherokee, more power and for my uses, just as capable. I need to be able to drive in snow (here in VA, we either get 2 inches or a foot+, not much in between), otherwise I'm driving on old fire roads, power easements, etc or out at family property where there's no roads to speak of.
Snow in Virginia, Yea right. We only get a good snow maybe every 10 years. I am prepared for snow now but when my 2006 Mazda Tribute falls apart and needs replaced, Im thinking of replacing it with a small 40mpg 2wd car. I know the tribute is not a real off roading 4x4 but the rare few times I have driven it in ice, snow, slush, and etc it has done very well and has never gotten stuck or slid off the road. I am hoping this winter will change my mind about a 2wd because I am a snow lover and enjoy playing in it. But their is really no true off road trails to drive on any more as the gov keeps closing them. As for the roads, the state has been doing a really good job these days of clearing them. At least in my area anyway. Years ago it took 4 days or more to see the pavement after a storm, and I would not be without a 4x4. But times are changing. I think that has something to do with the lack of modern day true off road 4x4s sitting on dealer lots these days.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:10 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody2 View Post
Snow in Virginia, Yea right. We only get a good snow maybe every 10 years. I am prepared for snow now but when my 2006 Mazda Tribute falls apart and needs replaced, Im thinking of replacing it with a small 40mpg 2wd car. I know the tribute is not a real off roading 4x4 but the rare few times I have driven it in ice, snow, slush, and etc it has done very well and has never gotten stuck or slid off the road. I am hoping this winter will change my mind about a 2wd because I am a snow lover and enjoy playing in it. But their is really no true off road trails to drive on any more as the gov keeps closing them. As for the roads, the state has been doing a really good job these days of clearing them. At least in my area anyway. Years ago it took 4 days or more to see the pavement after a storm, and I would not be without a 4x4. But times are changing. I think that has something to do with the lack of modern day true off road 4x4s sitting on dealer lots these days.
Or the 4x4's that are worthwhile are too expensive for people - I caught an insane amount of crap when I bought the GC and for how much I spend on it instead of getting an econobox. A Wrangler Rubicon can set you back 30 grand or more depending on what options you get.

That said, during the 3 snowstorms in 2009-2010, I didn't stay home. My Jeep made it out in a foot of snow (and still falling) without so much as slide.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Or the 4x4's that are worthwhile are too expensive for people - I caught an insane amount of crap when I bought the GC and for how much I spend on it instead of getting an econobox. A Wrangler Rubicon can set you back 30 grand or more depending on what options you get.

That said, during the 3 snowstorms in 2009-2010, I didn't stay home. My Jeep made it out in a foot of snow (and still falling) without so much as slide.
I just sold my 1994 f150 4x4 short bed stick shift last year. It was a great reliable truck and would go just about anywhere. I bought it back in 1996 with only 30k somthing miles on it. It had a little over 80k on it when I sold it. I am willing to bet the front manual locking hubs were only locked in less then 2k miles sense I owned it. I got rid of it because it was just sitting in the driveway these days taking up space and costing me money to keep insurance and tags on it. I did replace it with a f350 powerstroke dually (I had before I sold the f150) that I needed more for hauling stuff then off road capability. When I did drive it before the f350 came along, I was asking it to haul or tow more then it was rated to do. I dont know if, or think the f350 will go where the f150 would go. But the point is there really is not much of a market for true old school 4x4s anymore. We are running out of places to drive them at least in my neck of the woods. Plus the cops are really cracking down on lifted or modified trucks, especially in the cities. Had friends sell theirs because they were getting pulled over everytime they pulled out of their driveway. The same deal also with those useless low rider pickups. I also feel the prices they want for them also plays a big part. Combine those together along with government regulations and you end up with soccer mom suvs. And still they are not really all that cheap neither.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:

Just wanted to add that all the years I owned the f150 I have only driven it in a foot of snow twice without any problems. The storms of 2009 2010 was no issue for the tribute because the 74 inch snowblower took care of any possible issues. The f150 just sit covered up with snow. It does saddens me as the snowblower mostly is a paperweight taking up storage space. But it does not cost me nothing to store it. Dump some oil on it every year or so and it will not wear out and last me a lifetime. I will have it when I ever do need it. But you could say the same about a 4x4 too. But it will wear out someday just driving the clear paved roads. Each persons needs are different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive