U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Top gear
america 4 6.90%
England 54 93.10%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 09:46 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,268,285 times

Advertisements

Top Gear UK all day, every day and twice on Sunday.

But honestly this was a wayy better and was a lot better than previous episodes:

Porsche 911 GT2 RS Top Gear USA - YouTube

And their pickup challenge was ok too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 11:01 PM

14,795 posts, read 18,044,388 times
US version is awful.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:31 PM

432 posts, read 769,446 times
Voted UK of course. Nothing can ever compare to the orginal. The US version isn't that bad though. If nothing else is on I'll watch it. US version is much better than the few Aussie clips I've seen. But yeah UK all the way can't beat the Cast, Comedy, etc...

Old 12-12-2011, 11:46 PM

9,303 posts, read 5,429,457 times
I like the American Top Gear, but honestly it's no where near as good as the UK version - it's better than the Australian TG though. The American one is better when they don't try to recreate old UK episodes.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:15 AM

5,229 posts, read 11,532,005 times
The US version is produced by the same production team that does the UK version. It's not a US made rip-off, but a wholly owned subsidiary of the UK franchise. If anyone here remembers the first few seasons of the UK Top Gear, it sucked pretty bad as well, with no chemistry (and they had to get rid of one of the presenters to find the right mix).

The US top gear didn't have the chemistry in the first season, either, but by the end (the Alaska truck trip) it was there, and the second season was MUCH better. I can't wait for season 3.

They used remakes of the UK TG challenges because they worked and they could be adapted to the US market. Watch the Alaska truck episode and the episode where they jumped the Cadillac, both very funny and in the spirit of the UK TG.

They could do without the big star, small car segment (but so could the UK version. It's simply not necessary and slows it all down), and the US version could use a news segment where the chemistry could evolve better.

I've seen most every episode of the UK TG, including specials, and every episode of the US TG. The US one is definitely gaining ground and the UK one is losing it's steam (lately it's just not been the same). I think the changing Stigs really has hurt the UK version, and Clarkson has gotten even more pedantic and just tired. On the US side, Tanner has started to loosen up, though his humor is dryer, but the man can drive. Rutlege is like most car guys I know (and he's a regular on a couple forums I frequent) and likable. Adam is the only questionable one, but as a stand up comedian, he works best when he's allowed to ad lib and just be himself instead of scripted. BUT, both TGs are heavily scripted (no, the UK TG presenters never get lost, it's only made to look that way) and cars in the challenges are rigged to fail in particular ways in both the US and UK versions. It's just for entertainment, not facts, which is the thing that bugs me the most, as too many people hold up TG UK as a factual show.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:55 AM

9,326 posts, read 19,022,426 times
I think Clarkson helps make the UK version what it is. Despite the fact that he can be annoying. Aside from that, my only other complaint is they seem to favor exotic/expensive sports cars and I'm a fan of hot hatches.

The hosts of the US version don't seem to have evolved (yet).

I also like the Australian version. Check out this compare in the Outback:
Top Gear Australia - Fiat 500 and SMART car Outback Mail Run Pt1 - YouTube
Top Gear Australia - Fiat 500 and SMART car Outback Mail Run Pt2 - YouTube

Old 12-13-2011, 09:23 AM
PDD

8,776 posts, read 14,203,569 times
Pompous English guy with bad teeth
vs
Championship caliber off road racer
Goofy red neck
Wise ass NYer.

Sorry but I have to go with the Americans

Old 12-13-2011, 09:30 AM

10,005 posts, read 8,739,032 times
I had a friend show me the English one and I ended up really loving the humor. Then I saw an ad for the US one and thought it might be comparable...I couldn't even get through a full episode.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:40 AM

7,289 posts, read 12,924,742 times
Uk.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:41 AM

3,458 posts, read 3,000,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambogojo View Post
Does anyone here watch top gear? if u do which top gear do you like better and why?
Top Gear US feels like a humorless imitation of the UK version. It resembles a sitcom.

maybe in time, it will improve, especially if they get some better hosts. The current guys are unfunny nerds.

Some of the really early UK Top Gears were horrible, but some were funny:

Last edited by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus; 12-13-2011 at 09:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive