U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Top gear
america 4 6.90%
England 54 93.10%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 09:55 AM

12,900 posts, read 18,450,622 times

Advertisements

There is a US version?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 10:14 AM

14,777 posts, read 34,507,040 times
I agree wholeheartedly with what Merc was saying. I really like the UK Top Gear and voted for it, but that's also because we are watching a show with many seasons of evolution and development behind it. Like Merc said, go back and watch some of the original UK Top Gear episodes and you will see the same things people are complaining about in the US version.

The whole key to shows like this is the development of the characters of the hosts. If you want to admit it or not, the show is for entertainment not raw facts about cars. The biggest difference between UK and US is that the UK guys have gotten really good at selling the fantasy and making their antics believable and entertaining.

The US version is getting better, but they may also need to make a hosting change to help create some better chemistry. On the UK version Clarkson and May were both journalists and auto critics earlier in their career and both are writers on the show, so they are not simply acting out someone else's script. Hammond was also a radio personality and did a lot of auto reviews previously and is a co-writer as well. So, in the UK version you have a situation where the hosts have a direct role in writing and producing the show, which seems to make for a better product.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:43 AM

4,598 posts, read 3,749,769 times
I watch both. The American version isn't horrible, but it currently isn't as good as the British version.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:48 AM

5,041 posts, read 5,519,453 times
The British version, of course. Even Fifth Gear is way better than Top Gear America.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:16 AM

5,229 posts, read 11,487,380 times
Here's the deal from a car guy's perspective. We don't have much GOOD automotive programming in the US. Have you seen those half hour infomertials masquerading as car shows? How about MotorWeek? Dry and lifeless. TG US may not be as good as TG UK yet, but it's worlds better than most of what's on TV for us car guys, and that should count for something. I mean, NBC nixed doing it because Knight Rider got bad ratings, so therefore we don't want car shows!?! If we don't watch it, no one's going to try to do anything for mainstream America again. And most people don't get TG UK. TG US is for mainstream America. if you have only watched an episode or two from teh early part f the first season, try later episodes from the second season or at least watch the Alaska episode.

The other thing is, TG UK is just as scripted and often just as crap, but they can get away with it because we have an infatuation for British accents...

Old 12-13-2011, 11:36 AM

178 posts, read 198,659 times
You can get TG UK/ some US on streetfire.com.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:05 PM

5,229 posts, read 11,487,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambogojo View Post
You can get TG UK/ some US on streetfire.com.
Again mainstream America doens't get it on TV, regardles of what a few of us car nuts do on the internet. I get mine right from Final Gear and torrents right after they air in the UK. But that's not mainstream America, now is it?

Old 12-13-2011, 12:12 PM

3,458 posts, read 2,991,504 times
that's weird, i get top gear UK on BBC america , through time warner cable.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:14 PM

178 posts, read 198,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Again mainstream America doens't get it on TV, regardles of what a few of us car nuts do on the internet. I get mine right from Final Gear and torrents right after they air in the UK. But that's not mainstream America, now is it?
true. but it is available. and internet TV has become pretty popular lately. i just hope that shows like TG get better in america. cause right now all i got is TG UK and the powerblock on spike.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:08 PM

15,370 posts, read 25,579,836 times
I watched the US version one time. I have never seen the English version. Figured if the American one was that bad then maybe it wasn't worth watching either. Good to hear that both shows are not the same. I will have to see if I can find the English version of the show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive