Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 09:25 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,288,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
What I would be amicable to would be a directive that banned the use of handheld phones and blocked texting, email, etc. functions. Essentially when in a car a cell phone would be locked into being used as a navigation system or placing handsfree calls, very similar to what happens on most smart phones when you place them into a car dock.
What about for passengers? When we go up to CT to take care of my in-laws, my wife actually works in the car on the way up, using her laptop to do work, and her phone to attend conference call meetings at her office, as well as being able to let the nursing home that her dad is in know if we are going to be late due to traffic, or do last minute business with them before the day staff goes home (since usually due to my job w can't leave until about 3 pm on Friday so that gives here the first two hours of the trip to do work while her office is open and deal with the day staff at the home)

People are calling for an outright ban on any electronic devices in cars including for passengers by tying the electronic devices to whether the car is on and moving and that's unacceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 09:41 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
What about for passengers? When we go up to CT to take care of my in-laws, my wife actually works in the car on the way up, using her laptop to do work, and her phone to attend conference call meetings at her office, as well as being able to let the nursing home that her dad is in know if we are going to be late due to traffic, or do last minute business with them before the day staff goes home (since usually due to my job w can't leave until about 3 pm on Friday so that gives here the first two hours of the trip to do work while her office is open and deal with the day staff at the home)

People are calling for an outright ban on any electronic devices in cars including for passengers by tying the electronic devices to whether the car is on and moving and that's unacceptable.
It's a tricky thing, I for one think there should be no restriction on what the passengers do. Maybe a better middle ground is simply stating that drivers cannot use handheld devices, they must use handsfree ones and then it all just circles back to enforcing already existing laws.

I can't personally see a way to block the drivers device, but not block the passengers and there is absolutely no reason why a passenger can't use one.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:12 PM

21,872 posts, read 25,129,659 times
And now we have a picture of the cell phone caused accident. In it, you can clearly see how the cell phone in the pickup was clearly the cause of both buses being involved in the accident.

NTSB Pushing for Full Cell Phone Ban, Misses The Point | The Truth About Cars

Old 12-16-2011, 06:25 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
And now we have a picture of the cell phone caused accident. In it, you can clearly see how the cell phone in the pickup was clearly the cause of both buses being involved in the accident.

NTSB Pushing for Full Cell Phone Ban, Misses The Point | The Truth About Cars
I think you forgot the sarcasm tag.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:42 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,083,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
It's common sense. Just look around you next time you drive somewhere. In fact, hang up your own phone and pay attention. I see drivers causing serious problems on the road everyday and I know it's because they are texting, I don't even have to look. It's just dumb luck that these people get where they are going and the accidents are piling up.

If this will save me money on my insurance, it's worth it because to me there is no call or text that is important enough to take while I'm driving.

We used to think it was OK to drink and drive. Hell, we used to have open beer in the car all the time when I was a late teens, early 20's. But then we were educated about what can happen. Thank God I never had an accident and these days, I won't have one drink and drive.

These are expert here telling you it's dangerous. How many people does it take to tell you you're drunk before you finally sit down?
"to me" says it all, doesn't it? Most people do not have a valid reason to use a cell phone while driving. Is that enough of a reason to conclude that no one has a need to use their phone? In my job I need to communicate with customers while enroute to their site to try and fix their equipment. Every minute I might spend on the side of the road talking on a cell phone is another minute they are not making revenue with their equipment. Aside from the revenue, it is medical diagnostic equipment we are talking about, so there are also patients that may have to wait to get their diagnosis.

By use of some of the logic I see on this matter then all traffic cops should pull over to use their radio during a pursuit. Oh, you say they are trained to deal with it? Isn't that saying some people are more capable of talking on a cell phone while driving than others? Who makes the decision on who is more capable?

Old 12-16-2011, 08:04 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
My main gripe with cell phones is when people in front of me are using them, they go under the speed limit or can't maintain a constant speed. It's easy to spot these people at night because I can see the glow from their phones through their back window (most likely texting).

Get off your phone or get the hell outta my way!
They also can't maintain speed. Recently was behind one who constantly sped up and slowed down. When I finally had a clear spot to pass, I was not surprised to see the woman was busy texting while driving. She began drifting into my lane so I hit my horn. She was so startled she dropped her cell phone and slammed the brakes. Naturally she was mad at me even though she was at fault and I legally used my car horn to warn her of a pending accident.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:48 AM

Why not make use of the same technology to make the roads safer? I have a Droid smart phone and a car dock. I had to drill a hole in the car dock so the camera could "see" ahead while I am driving. I have an app that uses the phone as a dash cam, that records what it sees. I can select to save the video any time I want by just tapping on the glass, should anything "funny" happen in front of me. I also have the option of uploading that same video to a web site via the cell phone.

If I can do that on my own, why can't something like that be mandatory on all vehicles. If you see someone doing something unsafe in front of you, you tap on the screen and a copy of it gets uploaded to the state police. If the activity is serious enough then they can make note of it and watch for any further reports, or take action against the driver as soon as possible. The app also uses the accelerometer to save the video if I get into an accident.

I use the app, because I fear getting accused of causing an accident where I might be able to prove I didn't cause it, by using the video proof.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
They also can't maintain speed. Recently was behind one who constantly sped up and slowed down. When I finally had a clear spot to pass, I was not surprised to see the woman was busy texting while driving. She began drifting into my lane so I hit my horn. She was so startled she dropped her cell phone and slammed the brakes. Naturally she was mad at me even though she was at fault and I legally used my car horn to warn her of a pending accident.

I am against cell phone bans and believe that jammers are not a good thing, but there are times like the above that I wish I had one in my car so I can disconnect people that cannot drive and talk at the same time.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:04 AM

133 posts, read 173,704 times
I agree that hands free talking while driving should be a okay and texting while driving is intensely stupid.

If a person cannot safely operate a motor vehicle and talk on the phone at the same time they have no business driving.
Once again an example of some drugged up washed-out hippies that hate technology and are trying to do everything they can to stop it.

What they need to do is go back to smoking their weed and leave the rest of us the hell alone.
And Just because you're too freakin stupid to be able to operate a vehicle and talk hands free does not mean the rest of the country is that stupid.

Last edited by tempratt; 12-16-2011 at 09:18 AM..

Old 12-16-2011, 09:09 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shstrang98 View Post
I agree that hands free talking while driving should be a okay and texting while driving is intensely stupid.

If a person cannot safely operate a motor vehicle and talk on the phone at the same time they have no business driving.
Once again an example of some drugged up washed-out hippies that hate technology and are trying to do everything they can to stop it.

What they need to do is go back to their NAMBLA meetings and leave the rest of us the hell alone.
And Just because you're too freakin stupid to be able to operate a vehicle and talk hands free does not mean the rest of the country is that stupid.
Dude, like I'm not a hippie, OK man?
When I put the bong away I am completely capable of talking on a cell and driving as long as I have my groovy Woodstock 8-track going to mellow me out. And I think my smart-phone is far out man!

And dudes that stereotype really bum me out man!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive