U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2011, 08:15 PM

3,383 posts, read 7,106,707 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts?, I know they are not pillars of reliability, but are they total POS. I see the POP for sale for dirt cheap. Like $6700 for an 03 with 92k which OS about the same price a jeep Cherokee goes for.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 08:18 PM

1,708 posts, read 5,437,487 times
You will forever regret the day you bought an old LandRover.

I think they are cool. I've been tempted. Luckily I have a friend in the British (Jaguar, Rover, etc) repair business. He said he would have me committed.

I still love old Triumphs and MGs even though they rarely run on consecutive days.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:24 PM

10,830 posts, read 26,347,923 times
I would stay away from the Discos as they are more prone to trouble than the Range Rovers, which are not exactly trouble-free as they age. You will need a code reader that works with that model Land Rover, if you get one, since the Series II are prone to the Three Amigos showing up at random intervals - ABS, Hill Descent, and Traction Control lights illuminate for a variety of reasons. Add to that the regular issues with Discos, including engines that self destruct due to liner slip in the cylinders, and the expected electrical issues/failures, and that forms a basis as to why they can be comparatively inexpensive as a used truck.

The Range Rovers great interiors, but used, especially when you do not know the previous owner personally, and have a full service history on the vehicle, they can be very problematic compared to the competition in their market segment. A Disco has much more in the way of hard plastic as opposed to the more upscale Range Rover, and the SD7s have two rear seats, but when in place, the cargo room is nil, and there's not too much room in those seats, either, because of the relatively short wheelbase.

An older Land Rover is a lifestyle decision, and automotive experiment, that can occasionally be used for reliable transportation. I would tend to skip an aging Disco because problems can mount as the vehicle ages and with higher mileage, which may be a reason why the vehicle is for sale. However, even having owned Rovers with issues, I still sometimes catch myself looking at them again, and have thought about picking up a Disco, LR4, or Range Rover for snow days, but then I come to my senses. I had an opportunity to buy a Disco Series II with fewer than 40k miles on it for about $7500, a couple of years ago, from someone I know, but in the end didn't buy it as I knew it had left his wife stranded twice with bizarre electrical issues that were not related to one another. For an experienced DIYer, who knows the quirks of Range Rovers, they are actually not terribly expensive, outside of a bit more expense for parts and a higher frequency of repair than some other competitors, but for those of us who are at the mercy of a dealership or a good Rover mechanic, it is not an inexpensive proposition to live with an older Land Rover.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-14-2011, 08:55 AM

5,229 posts, read 11,921,079 times
I've owned 3 range rovers over the years, an '88 SWB, a '95 LWB, and an '01 4.6 HSE. All great rigs. A couple good forums for them are Discoweb for the Discoverys and RangeRovers.net for the Rangies.

the Discos are generally simpler than the Rangies. BMW bought the company in the late '90s and changed a lot, then Ford bought them in '02 and made many improvements for the '03-up vehicles. I personally would rather have a pre-'02 Range Rover than a Disco, but I know all their quirks and how to cheaply work on them. They CAN be lived with reliably, and cheaply.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:11 AM

14,780 posts, read 35,883,681 times
I would steer away from the Discovery's and if you really want a Land Rover stick with the recommendation of buying the Range Rover and getting intimately familiar with working on it.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:27 AM

4,931 posts, read 7,555,914 times
Run Run Run away as fast as you can- sure to escape the broken down Disco...

Old 12-14-2011, 02:21 PM

13,143 posts, read 19,140,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Any thoughts?, I know they are not pillars of reliability, but are they total POS. I see the POP for sale for dirt cheap. Like $6700 for an 03 with 92k which OS about the same price a jeep Cherokee goes for.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.
They are good off-road, just bring a friend when you go wheeling so they can tow you back after some superfluous electronic do-dad inevitably breaks and leaves you stranded.

The only old Land Rover product I would buy would be a Series 1, 2,3 or Defender, because those are dripping with so much cool factor that it would almost seem worth it to rebuild one from the ground up.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:12 PM

373 posts, read 521,044 times
I havent liked them since I saw an almost new one broken down on the interstate...After stopping and the driver coasting to the side of the road it was hit by a truck killing her small child. The lack of dependability indirectly caused this .

Old 12-15-2011, 08:34 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,337,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
I've owned 3 range rovers over the years, an '88 SWB, a '95 LWB, and an '01 4.6 HSE. All great rigs. A couple good forums for them are Discoweb for the Discoverys and RangeRovers.net for the Rangies.

the Discos are generally simpler than the Rangies. BMW bought the company in the late '90s and changed a lot, then Ford bought them in '02 and made many improvements for the '03-up vehicles. I personally would rather have a pre-'02 Range Rover than a Disco, but I know all their quirks and how to cheaply work on them. They CAN be lived with reliably, and cheaply.
More pics (of the white one) please. Old RRs turn me on for some reason.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:57 AM

5,229 posts, read 11,921,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh56 View Post
More pics (of the white one) please. Old RRs turn me on for some reason.

And for the heck of it, the '88 I had before that one:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive