Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 03:44 PM

406 posts, read 1,431,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Are they actually paying you a salary? Or is it a draw?

Most places around me will pay you minimum wage draw which they will subtract from your commissions by the end of the month. But if it is real salary then that's good.
Just found out, it seems as if they will be giveing me a "draw" twice a month of 500 bucks each. Also found out about "Mini's".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 03:52 PM

By the way, I may be at Byers Volvo but there 11 other locations in Columbus, 3 in nearby Delware, 1 super center in Dublin and I can sell at any of them. Cars range from your average domestic cars to Lexus, Mercedes, Jaguar etc. I probably wont be selling much at other lots, at least until I begin to get a client base and we dont have something available at our lot so I need to go to another one

Old 01-09-2012, 01:54 PM

Ok. Just to give everyone an update. My orientation was officially on 01/06/2012. I have found out that I get a base salery which is not a draw on the 1st of the month of 750 dollars, then I get my commission check on the 15th of every month. Anything under 1,600 profit off the front end is only a mini of 100.00 for used vehicles and 150.00 for new. Its a sliding scale from that ranges from 16-20% from there all the way up to 4,100 front end. I was told the average cars sold monthly for each sales consultant at this paticular location is 10-12 per month. Basically the worst I could do is 9,000 yearly (assuming I dont make any commissions), and the best I could do is 200,000 (assuming i'm a top seller). Realistically I expect my first year to be 30,000-40,000. There is alot of potential money as a car salesman. You essentially write your own check!

Old 01-09-2012, 03:14 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,421,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantyall2know View Post
Realistically I expect my first year to be 30,000-40,000. There is alot of potential money as a car salesman. You essentially write your own check!

LOL. Give it 60 days and see if you still have that same view. Orientation makes it sound so easy, like customers will fall all over themselves to buy a car from you, if you only say whatever magic words they've told you to say.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:57 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Great attitude. Not realistic, but you need to have the mentality that you're going to close every sale. A few tips from 20 years in sales:

1. Those are people you're selling to. Treat them as you'd want to be treated.

2. NEVER lie or compromise your integrity (assuming you have any to begin with). You can never come back from that. Once you start, you'll find justification to do all kinds of bad things. Don't be the stereotype.

3. Keep a database of your clients. Check with them to see how they like their car. Ask them if they would like to be put on an email list, and put together something cool that keeps your name in their head for when they want their next car or their friends want a referral.

If you think you've screwed someone, and you're happy about it, it's time to quit. You've become the stereotype.

Sales can be a professional career, and must be a win-win to be successful in the long term. People view salespeople as evil, but it doesn't have to be that way.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:24 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,421,033 times
The above list is good.

Remember, when people walk onto a car lot, they are programmed to be defensive and mistrustful. Be nice. You'd be surprised at how awful they are treated in some places. Have some water or sodas for them, and found out what they are looking for, and pay attention to what they say. A lot of places will try and shove a car down someone's throat. If they tell you they need a small SUV for them and their two kids, and they want features X, Y, and Z....do your best to give them that, at least at first. Once it comes to paying for things or other practical considerations, what they buy may change. But so many places think they know what kind of car would be best for the buyer without actually taking into account what the buyer wants or needs.

One thing that blew me away when I went car shopping with my wife is how many salesmen only talked to me. If a couple comes in, make sure you split your time evenly between them. Her opinion carries a lot more weight than yours, and if she doesn't like you, they aren't buying a car from you.

As a guy, I made sure to learn some things about each car that was appealing to a woman ("Look, a space for a purse!"). Also as a guy, especially for single women that came in, I gave them more personal space. A lot of women feel somewhat intimidated or at a disadvantage when car shopping, and you can help put them at ease by keeping a respectful distance. It's subconscious, but it works.

Give people your cell number so they can call you, not the desk and ask for you.

Communicate with people. If they have said yes to buying the car, and there is a wait for finance, tell them that. Don't just leave them wondering what is going on, take 30 seconds to pop into the office and say "Here's what's up, I'm trying to do X, I'll be back in a few..." People hate being left alone with no idea what is going on.

Once you've sold someone a car, I would call about every 90 days just to see how they were doing. Make little notes about people so you can ask them something personal when you check in. Kids off to college, first job, getting married, whatever it is. Don't just call to check on the car.

Follow-up is key to getting people to recommend you and want to come back to see you.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:47 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,919,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
The above list is good.

Remember, when people walk onto a car lot, they are programmed to be defensive and mistrustful. Be nice. You'd be surprised at how awful they are treated in some places. Have some water or sodas for them, and found out what they are looking for, and pay attention to what they say. A lot of places will try and shove a car down someone's throat. If they tell you they need a small SUV for them and their two kids, and they want features X, Y, and Z....do your best to give them that, at least at first. Once it comes to paying for things or other practical considerations, what they buy may change. But so many places think they know what kind of car would be best for the buyer without actually taking into account what the buyer wants or needs.

One thing that blew me away when I went car shopping with my wife is how many salesmen only talked to me. If a couple comes in, make sure you split your time evenly between them. Her opinion carries a lot more weight than yours, and if she doesn't like you, they aren't buying a car from you.

As a guy, I made sure to learn some things about each car that was appealing to a woman ("Look, a space for a purse!"). Also as a guy, especially for single women that came in, I gave them more personal space. A lot of women feel somewhat intimidated or at a disadvantage when car shopping, and you can help put them at ease by keeping a respectful distance. It's subconscious, but it works.

Give people your cell number so they can call you, not the desk and ask for you.

Communicate with people. If they have said yes to buying the car, and there is a wait for finance, tell them that. Don't just leave them wondering what is going on, take 30 seconds to pop into the office and say "Here's what's up, I'm trying to do X, I'll be back in a few..." People hate being left alone with no idea what is going on.

Once you've sold someone a car, I would call about every 90 days just to see how they were doing. Make little notes about people so you can ask them something personal when you check in. Kids off to college, first job, getting married, whatever it is. Don't just call to check on the car.

Follow-up is key to getting people to recommend you and want to come back to see you.
All great suggestions. One thing I might suggest is to get every one of your customers to give you a rating online thru bizrater yelp or whoever is prevalent in your area. It costs you nothing and when someone googles your name they get positive reviews of YOU. Social media is key to a great sales career today. Look how many countries fell last year because of social media, powerful stuff. Best of luck to you!

Old 01-10-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
LOL. Give it 60 days and see if you still have that same view. Orientation makes it sound so easy, like customers will fall all over themselves to buy a car from you, if you only say whatever magic words they've told you to say.

Actually i'm in school and my major is marketing. I also have previous experience and although I have no prior experience in the car business. By no means do I expect it to be asy but I am aware of my capabilities and am confident I can do well. And since it is a commission based job you do essentially write your own check based off of your own skills. Selling is not for everyone but it is for me.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Great attitude. Not realistic, but you need to have the mentality that you're going to close every sale. A few tips from 20 years in sales:

1. Those are people you're selling to. Treat them as you'd want to be treated.

2. NEVER lie or compromise your integrity (assuming you have any to begin with). You can never come back from that. Once you start, you'll find justification to do all kinds of bad things. Don't be the stereotype.

3. Keep a database of your clients. Check with them to see how they like their car. Ask them if they would like to be put on an email list, and put together something cool that keeps your name in their head for when they want their next car or their friends want a referral.

If you think you've screwed someone, and you're happy about it, it's time to quit. You've become the stereotype.

Sales can be a professional career, and must be a win-win to be successful in the long term. People view salespeople as evil, but it doesn't have to be that way.

Actually BLS list car salsman at about 40,000 average per year. Also if I make 256 per car at a 1,600 gross profit of 16% and average 10 cars a month plus my 750.00 that is my base pay. I can very realistically make 40,000 according to many sources and common sence. And if I am selling these same numbers at a larger gross profit it could easily be more. One example of the high number I stated of 200,000 would be somebody who makes a 4,100 groff profit off of every car they sell 20 cars per month that would be over 200,000 per year. My MAIN point is 40,000 is VERY realistic. Other then that you give great information. Thank you.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:39 AM

In addition I am a very self-motivated, driven, determined individual who strives for the best results in anything I do. I WILL AT LEAST make the "average" pay (look it up).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive