Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 12:53 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,227,534 times

Advertisements

Just saw this and thought it was interesting. Many people are driving their cars longer. I know with us our newest ride is a 2005 Chevy Astro Van.

Cars that can run for over 200,000 miles - Yahoo! Autos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 12:59 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,426,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Just saw this and thought it was interesting. Many people are driving their cars longer. I know with us our newest ride is a 2005 Chevy Astro Van.

Cars that can run for over 200,000 miles - Yahoo! Autos
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I think many people do. I am on my 2nd daily-driver car since graduating from college (and that was in 1983). First, Volvo 240, now Volvo S80. They are just broken in at 200K. (Though, IMHO, Volvo went down the hopper when purchased by Ford (the S80 I have was under their ownership).... next car will be a different manufacturer).

Old 12-14-2011, 01:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,621 posts, read 57,620,656 times
Since I will be driving my 52 mpg VW Passats the rest of my life, they will probably each be running to a million miles or more. (my newest has 250k as it is, but I just bought a gasser with 181k, that I will convert to diesel.). I can get steering / suspension parts cheap (~$6-10), and I have plenty of spares on hand. It costs me about $200/yr in parts (for ~ 40k miles). Fuel is free if I use cooking oil or jet fuel. (It's not too picky)

My Dodge cummins truck will also be good for a million +. When I was but a child...(age21) the Studebaker Diesel that I drove 800 miles / day had over 3 million miles on it.

I was looking for a Subaru to get me through my icy winters. It is tough to find an affordable ($3000) one with under 200,000 miles.

Be glad you have a GM van, our Dodge minivan tranny died at 198926 miles... It is headed to the crusher, tho runs great and still has all gears but 3rd. I did replace the plugs and wires at 120k, and water pump ($13) at 160k

Old 12-14-2011, 01:21 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,763,469 times
I'm still driving my 1997 Mustang as my daily driver, although the odometer broke years ago, so I'll never know the actual mileage. I'm guessing over 150k. I don't intend to buy another car anytime soon.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:37 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,426,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Since I will be driving my 52 mpg VW Passats the rest of my life, they will probably each be running to a million miles or more. (my newest has 250k as it is, but I just bought a gasser with 181k, that I will convert to diesel.). I can get steering / suspension parts cheap (~$6-10), and I have plenty of spares on hand. It costs me about $200/yr in parts (for ~ 40k miles). Fuel is free if I use cooking oil or jet fuel. (It's not too picky)

My Dodge cummins truck will also be good for a million +. When I was but a child...(age21) the Studebaker Diesel that I drove 800 miles / day had over 3 million miles on it.

I was looking for a Subaru to get me through my icy winters. It is tough to find an affordable ($3000) one with under 200,000 miles.

Be glad you have a GM van, our Dodge minivan tranny died at 198926 miles... It is headed to the crusher, tho runs great and still has all gears but 3rd. I did replace the plugs and wires at 120k, and water pump ($13) at 160k
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting. The EPA rates the 2012 Volkswagen Passat 4 cyl, 2.0 L, Manual 6-spd, Diesel at 31mpg city, 43mpg highway, for a combined of 35mpg. If you look at the cost of diesel around here (New England), a gallon of diesel compared to a gallon of gas costs 1.2 times as much, so you need to take that into account.
I guess for people who have the time on their hands to mess around with cooking oil (and Jet fuel here is really expensive; we use it for compact gas turbine experiments), then it may be worthwhile.
According to the EPA (you will have to look up the criteria) here:
Fuel Economy

Personally, I am a fan of diesels; A Cummins turbodiesel will last virtually forever, (however usually the vehicle around it will rust to pieces long before that ever happens).... You can modify them extensively (usually the transmission is the weakest link, however), but we have upped the torque and power dramatically by reprogramming the ECM's.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,621 posts, read 57,620,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting. The EPA rates the 2012 Volkswagen Passat ....Personally, I am a fan of diesels; A Cummins turbodiesel will last virtually forever, (however usually the vehicle around it will rust to pieces long before that ever happens).... You can modify them extensively (usually the transmission is the weakest link, however), but we have upped the torque and power dramatically by reprogramming the ECM's.
USA diesel fuel market costs are really the opposite of many countries (as it is cheaper to make diesel), BUT in USA, GAS Hybrid>SUV drivers are the voting majority. Diesel just happens to have higher energy content, and produces and delivers your food.
Now that we have conquered Libya, (best crude for diesel). I expect diesel prices to plummet... (not a chance with upside down taxation). Fuel cost is not part of my formula (grease / waste oil burner)

RE: 2012 Volkswagen PassatThus... I only use VW IDI and first generation TDI diesels and running gear. (late 1976-1999.5). I prefer the B4 Passats. (96 - 97... 25 gallon tanks in Wagons, =1200+ mile range). The early VW WC gas / diesel blocks / trannies are mounted identical in the VW (and many AUDI) platforms. Thus a 3-4 hr swap can have your engine and drivetrain into any one of about 20 different body styles. (I have pickups, to Passats, and most in between). Diesel (pre-TDI or Mechanical TDI, only require one hot wire to fuel soleniod and one for glow plugs, thus I frequently convert a low mileage gas chassis into diesel power. (You can easily pick up rust free cars in about 50% of usa. I use a specific search engine for my desired markets (often Dallas, cheap cars and cheap airfare, plenty of rust free dodge cummins there too!))

so... for 200k + longevity in USA you might need to live in a 'non-rust-salt' area. (Depends on annual mileage burden, some VW diesel friends drive 50,000+ miles / yr... couriers). I daily drive a 1980 that has no rust issues. It cost me $35.00 at an abandoned vehicle auction.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...0-caddy-rf.jpg

Old 12-14-2011, 07:28 PM

61 posts, read 115,815 times
I have a 2003 Volkswagen Passat 1.8T with 189,000 miles and counting.
Regular maintenance is the key.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:45 PM

18,938 posts, read 43,314,101 times
I can agree with most on that list, but the Lincoln MKZ will likely be a POS before it ever hits 200k.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:58 PM

1,965 posts, read 6,798,258 times
For me it has not been the major components, rather the minor ones that did the car in. When the electrical parts start failing, wires start cracking, the AC or suspension repairs on an old car makes it not worthwhile to fix. Also unless you have rust issues, you technically can fix the car and drive it forever. At some point it is not worth it.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:00 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I think many people do. I am on my 2nd daily-driver car since graduating from college (and that was in 1983). First, Volvo 240, now Volvo S80. They are just broken in at 200K. (Though, IMHO, Volvo went down the hopper when purchased by Ford (the S80 I have was under their ownership).... next car will be a different manufacturer).
Can you explain how Volvo went down the hopper after being acquired by Ford?

I know that Ford has used Volvo's engineering to improve regular Ford products. I'm not sure though what, if anything, Ford did to lessen the quality of Volvo. On the other hand, I do know when GM owned Saab they put a lot of GM parts into new Saabs.

While having great, long-lasting drivetrains, Volvo didn't have very good materials quality. The seats and paint for instance would wear out in under 100K miles on many cars. Hopefully that's changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive