Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 05:14 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times

Advertisements

my last 4 cars all have the fuel pump in the tank as well as my latest the jeep sahara.

one thing i want to add is getting the cheapest gas in town may be a disaster. many years ago i got a tank of bad gas from a budget place. i got stuck the next day and it cost me hundreds to have the tank dropped and the system cleaned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 09:08 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
odds are financial planning and learning were never important to you and now your (sic) paying the price.
I hope you don't think that this refers to me!
I am proud to say that my average annual return has beaten all of the averages (Dow, Russell 2000, S&P 500, Nasdaq) over the past 5 years. My average annual return over the 3 year term is slightly lower than the Nasdaq, but I have beaten that average this year and over a 5 year term.

Meanwhile, my dumpster-diving friend to whom I referred earlier has not rebalanced his investments for at least 5 years and has "taken a bath" as a result. That, coupled with his former habit of leaving large sums of cash in non-interest bearing accounts, makes his penny-pinching habits more necessary than they would have been otherwise, but he has only himself to blame--despite my frequent offers of help. If this guy actually managed his resources properly, he could live just as well as I do.

Some people just shoot themselves in the foot constantly, and most of them don't even realize that they are doing it.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:19 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
i do financial planning articles for a few publications and that has been my biggest complaint.

folks have no clue about the major financial things in their life and then devote their lives to penny pinching and complaining about things.

i look at the folks i work with. no plan, no rhyme or reason. they just blindly fling money into stocks . then we have 2 back to back recessions, all they own are equity funds and they cry foul , the markets are rigged.

in the mean time a simple mix of a total market fund,long term treasuries ,gold and cash has returned over 9% a year cagr for almost 40 years now just rebalancing once a year.

its much easier to avoid learning about how to plan and structure things and to just complain and lead a life of dumpster diving to compensate for committing financial suicide.

life shouldnt be clipping coupons, dumpster diving and planning your next meal around where the buy one get one is... those should be bonus things saving you money if you want, not because your lifes plan requires it to survive.

if thats required than your a financial failure and have no one to blame but your own doing.

odds are financial planning and learning were never important to you and now your paying the price. there a few out there that truely have hard luck stories and were wiped out by illness or job loss but for the most part folks arent successful because they dont want to take the time to learn.

its much simpler to spend the time searching gas thats 2 cents less or buy 1 bag of carrots and get a free bag.
Sorry, but I see this post as "not-involved-with-my-life-throw-money-at -it" approach to life.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:41 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Quote:
my last 4 cars all have the fuel pump in the tank as well as my latest the jeep sahara.

one thing i want to add is getting the cheapest gas in town may be a disaster. many years ago i got a tank of bad gas from a budget place. i got stuck the next day and it cost me hundreds to have the tank dropped and the system cleaned.
As well, I've seen cars towed into my shop through the years that bought only major branded gasoline from high-volume gas stations.

In recent years, with so few refinery sources for the gasoline in virtually any given marketplace, the gas you buy at a branded station for top price is the same product you can buy at the discounters. The difference at the pump will be the additive pack that goes into the fuel, and there may (or may not) be a difference in the octance rating (exceeding the pump octane number) from one retailer to the next.

While you would expect to purchase cleaner fuel from the higher priced stations, that's not always the case.

FWIW, we have had personal experience with "bad gas" (and poor quality diesel fuel) purchased from major suppliers in big cities all across the western and mid-USA. More depends upon the individual retailer's maintaining their tanks than the distributor quality of the fuel transported to them.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I hope you don't think that this refers to me!
I am proud to say that my average annual return has beaten all of the averages (Dow, Russell 2000, S&P 500, Nasdaq) over the past 5 years. My average annual return over the 3 year term is slightly lower than the Nasdaq, but I have beaten that average this year and over a 5 year term.

Meanwhile, my dumpster-diving friend to whom I referred earlier has not rebalanced his investments for at least 5 years and has "taken a bath" as a result. That, coupled with his former habit of leaving large sums of cash in non-interest bearing accounts, makes his penny-pinching habits more necessary than they would have been otherwise, but he has only himself to blame--despite my frequent offers of help. If this guy actually managed his resources properly, he could live just as well as I do.

Some people just shoot themselves in the foot constantly, and most of them don't even realize that they are doing it.
huh? not even a thought that it was directed to you. its just a general comment that fits 90% of americans.,.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Sorry, but I see this post as "not-involved-with-my-life-throw-money-at -it" approach to life.
whats that mean in english?

Old 12-18-2011, 01:29 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
huh? not even a thought that it was directed to you. its just a general comment that fits 90% of americans.,.

Well, since you quoted me, then began talking about "folks" in general, but later began using the word, "you", I assumed that "you" was a reference to me.
It was my error, based on your writing style.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:01 PM

ha ha ha i have no style to my writing......

Old 12-18-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
ha ha ha i have no style to my writing......
No style IS a style all it's own!

Old 12-18-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
whats that mean in english?
Think about, mate. No one else asked me what it means so they must have understood my point clearly.

And you........not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive