U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 01:43 PM

8,297 posts, read 3,192,287 times

Advertisements

I live in the Twin Cities area and what I see every single day is just ridiculous-drivers who have no clue of how to merge onto a freeway and drivers who don't know how to allow cars to merge.

They spend billions of dollars on these beautiful roads, 3, 4, 5 or 6 lanes in the metro. With all the money they spend, I don't think they spend a nickel trying to teach drivers how to use these expensive roads properly.

Maybe this is you and if it is, I would like to know what you are thinking. I will be driving down the freeway and down an on ramp comes 10 cars all tailgating each other. Ok, the road is full, I'm in the right lane and these cars are giving me no where to be. I have to hope that one of them wakes up and makes a space for me. Why not just leave a couple of car lengths open in front of you in case you need room to maneuver?

I firmly believe that a continuing drivers ed program that people could do on line every year to maintain their driving status would be good for the public and save $$$ accidents and traffic backups.

Also, use your blinker! Like on the I94/I35E junction cars come down and either have to merge left or continue onto north 35E. At least half of them do not use their blinker so if you are in the right lane you have no idea what to do, slow down to let them on or just continue on as they are exiting to the right. Almost always they jam on their brakes and then hit the left blinker and merge. Why not turn it on and give the cars in the lane a couple of seconds to adjust and let you on? This just baffles me as I know these are smart people.

So many traffic jams and accidents are caused by this kind of behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 01:48 PM

5,169 posts, read 5,398,934 times

Traffic Waves - YouTube

Do what you can do while others slowly get the message...

Old 12-21-2011, 01:50 PM

8,689 posts, read 12,484,890 times
When people signal entrance onto the highway I let them in. when they don't signal, I don't. I'm teaching drivers' training one driver at a time.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:00 PM

2,437 posts, read 2,142,945 times
I drove in California and Nevada some months ago. It was quite annoying that some many drivers did not allow me to merge. In Northern Europe this is rarely a problem.

The traffic was not aggressive. Seems like most Americans like to cruise.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:05 PM

2,784 posts, read 5,704,705 times
Ugh! One of my major pet peeves. I always try to anticipate cars merging from an on ramp and adjust my speed and distance with other cars to allow them in (blinker or not). I see many drivers who don't do the same and I've even had some speed up to try and cut me off when I am merging.

What drives me completely bonkers is me trying to do my part to let them in and they do NOTHING. They don't signal, they don't speed up, they just plod along until the lane ends.

Yep, I think everyone should be required to pass a driving test on merging before being given a license!

Old 12-21-2011, 02:09 PM

10,506 posts, read 13,988,172 times
I don't understand. Do your on ramps have another option other than merging onto the freeway or interstate? I know we have some around here that drive to the next off ramp so a driver would have no need to merge if they are exiting at the next off ramp. Would it not be a given that the drivers that are entering the road are planning on merging on to the road that your car is on? It hit me as something that a good commedy sketch can be made about. I can see it now; "I jumped on the on ramp because at the end where it meets the freeway is the perfect spot to stop and take a picture of all the cars zipping by." LOL

For me I maintain the speed that I am driving at and let those that are merging figure it out. My problem is with the people that enter a freeway and don't get up to speed. Hello, we are all driving at 65 or so MPH. Before you move in front of me, get your car up to 65 MPH before turning in front of me. I do try to get to the middle lane or the far left lane to avoid getting in the way of cars driving onto the freeway (Around here we have 3 lanes going each way and up to 6 lanes going each way at some places.) Have you seen the people that seem to realize that they are entering a freeway and suddenly stop or slow down to enter the roadway? That amazes me. I like to hit the roadway running and if possible faster than everyone else.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:16 PM

2,383 posts, read 1,758,824 times
I always try to merge slightly above the speed of traffic so I can pick and choose my space without disrupting the flow. People in Seattle have blinker deficiency so if they don't signal I won't let them in (though I won't block them either, I just maintain speed). If they are signaling but going 30 below the flow of traffic (I see it almost every day) then I'll either get over to make room or just not let them in. I always saw it as a courtesy to vacate the lane closest to an on ramp if it's not inconvenient to do so.

One of the many things that really gets me is when a car one lane away from the merge decides to switch lanes (without blinker usually) right at the point of merge, thereby trapping the merging car. It happens a lot when the merge lane becomes the "must exit" lane which creates a lot of swerving traffic.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:17 PM

5,169 posts, read 5,398,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I don't understand. Do your on ramps have another option other than merging onto the freeway or interstate? I know we have some around here that drive to the next off ramp so a driver would have no need to merge if they are exiting at the next off ramp. Would it not be a given that the drivers that are entering the road are planning on merging on to the road that your car is on? It hit me as something that a good commedy sketch can be made about. I can see it now; "I jumped on the on ramp because at the end where it meets the freeway is the perfect spot to stop and take a picture of all the cars zipping by." LOL

For me I maintain the speed that I am driving at and let those that are merging figure it out. My problem is with the people that enter a freeway and don't get up to speed. Hello, we are all driving at 65 or so MPH. Before you move in front of me, get your car up to 65 MPH before turning in front of me. I do try to get to the middle lane or the far left lane to avoid getting in the way of cars driving onto the freeway (Around here we have 3 lanes going each way and up to 6 lanes going each way at some places.) Have you seen the people that seem to realize that they are entering a freeway and suddenly stop or slow down to enter the roadway? That amazes me. I like to hit the roadway running and if possible faster than everyone else.
I've seen it, more often than I'd like, when an unfortunate driver trying to merge onto the freeway cannot find any open space to merge into and is forced to traverse down the shoulder frantically trying to merge into the right lane. It usually happens when the rightmost lane is moving at 50+ mph AND everyone's insistently tailgating each other.. it rarely happens if there's stop and go traffic. I see this more in Northern California though..

Old 12-21-2011, 02:21 PM

30,910 posts, read 19,154,053 times
Timely.

Just last night I'm on a road that splits....collapses to 1 lane and then merges.
The right lane is marked to merge into the left and I'm sitting in the "B" postition with cars in the A and C position.

A
..B
C

Right as it's narrowing to 1 lane driver "C" accelerates and pulls up so they are 75% alongside of me just as it's narrowing to 1 lane. I maintained speed even though I had to drive 1/2 on the shoulder and realizing they couldn't just bully me unless they wanted to force a collission they hit thier brakes.

Really....what a complete D-bag move to try to gun it and try to cut someone off at the last second. grrrrr.

Might be the time of the year when people are stressed and high-strung.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Around here, we have a lot of 6-lane highways and a TON of people that park in the left lane and gum things up OR cruise in the right lane and refuse to change lanes when they see a line of cars merging. It's like the middle lane is some "forbidden zone". Oh well.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:27 PM

30,910 posts, read 19,154,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I've seen it, more often than I'd like, when an unfortunate driver trying to merge onto the freeway cannot find any open space to merge into and is forced to traverse down the shoulder frantically trying to merge into the right lane. It usually happens when the rightmost lane is moving at 50+ mph AND everyone's insistently tailgating each other.. it rarely happens if there's stop and go traffic. I see this more in Northern California though..
Recent construction here had me merging every morning like that....except there was no longer a shoulder....but concrete barriers. Went to merge one morning, only 150feet of space until I start hitting the barriers and am forced into a lane. Guy comes FLYING up and has to slam on his brakes to avoid hitting me as I merge but I had zero choice. Of course, he gives me the finger. He was going around 75mph in a 55mph construction zone.

So, in the case you describe above. I would put on my turn signal and play the "how close do I have to drive to the side of your car" game to enforce a degree of civility.

Fortunately, this is about a once every 6months or more occurrence and 99% of the time people are pretty civil around here.

If someone puts their turn signal on and whatnot I always let them in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive