Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2011, 11:39 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,805 times

Advertisements

Ha. Instead of focusing on the topic at hand, y'all attack me. Can't say I'm surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
cry all you want, but this is exactly why you need to be concentrating on your driving so that you would see the stop sign BEFORE the cop shined a light in your eyes. another option would be to record everything that happens while you are behind the wheel so that if anything untoward happens while you are driving, you might have a real defense. and there are always options to fight an unwarranted or unlawful ticket.

so man up and consider your options.
Question: why is the revenue generator...I mean, police officer, shining a light in someone's eye from a distance of several feet away, where they cannot possibly see one's pupils?

I post things such as these so that you guys think about these situations and acknowledge that they do exist. All I want in this thread is to know what YOU would do if you were the individual who wrote that account.

The truth is, this thread wouldn't exist if these things didn't happen. I wouldn't have an "axe to grind" if these things didn't happen.

And manderly6, believe you me, I do enjoy life Man, do I enjoy it, hehehe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Ah, but if you are accused of "driving too fast" and by that I mean that the speed limit is 45, but you think it should be 55 and drive thusly, then when the police officer "accuses you" of something you didn't do, that being "driving too fast" your definition differs from his. And unfortunately for you, the law is on his side.

It doesn't matter how you feel, all that matters is the number on that little white sign by the side of the road. Save your je ne sais quoi for the judge, maybe he'll get a good laugh out of you!
Understandable, but it is wrong. Speed limits have to be appropriate, preferably concluded by the 85% Principle. Anything else is revenue generation in one direction & the toleration of possibly dangerous situations in the other.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:45 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Ha. Instead of focusing on the topic at hand, y'all attack me. Can't say I'm surprised.
That's because it's beyond crystal clear that you have an axe to grind, which makes anything approximating a rational discussion on the topic next to impossible. It's getting seriously old.

Oh, and we already knew these situations existed before you insisted on bombarding the forum with your endless "cops suck" threads. We also already knew that incessantly whining about it is not particularly productive.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
That's because it's beyond crystal clear that you have an axe to grind, which makes anything approximating a rational discussion on the topic next to impossible. It's getting seriously old.

Oh, and we already knew these situations existed before you insisted on bombarding the forum with your endless "cops suck" threads. We also already knew that incessantly whining about it is not particularly productive.
Of course I have an axe to grind, I wouldn't if these situations didn't exist. But they do.

I have been nothing but rational: I entreatise for appropriate speed limits, regulation of revenue generation and honesty in law enforcement. When I don't see these things, I will rise up in arms, as everyone should. Is that too much to ask for? Honesty & fairness?

Drover, if you were the individual who wrote that editorial, how would you react? How would you feel?

That's all I want to know in this thread. Stay on topic, please.

P.S. I'm not whining....I'm just attracting attention to certain situations and trying to discuss them with the C-Ders of the Automotive thread.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:50 PM

No, that's not what you want. You want an outlet to grandstand. Well, now you've found it. Congratulations.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:58 PM

Quote:
No, that's not what you want. You want an outlet to grandstand. Well, now you've found it. Congratulations.
Please don't make assumptions & please stick to the topic at hand. Or is that too difficult to do?

Again, & for the last time, how would you react if you were in the situation shown?

Old 12-30-2011, 12:01 AM

I don't have to make assumptions. Your need to start countless threads on the same topic and your endless rationalizations of your own behavior make it clear that you're not just interested in a discussion but that you, as you even admit, have an axe to grind. Notwithstanding your insistence that you just want to have a discussion on the subject, I've long ago learned that a rational discussion is not possible with people who have an axe to grind.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:06 AM

Quote:
I don't have to make assumptions. Your need to start countless threads on the same topic and your endless rationalizations of your own behavior make it clear that you're not just interested in a discussion but that you, as you even admit, have an axe to grind. Notwithstanding your insistence that you just want to have a discussion on the subject, I've long ago learned that a rational discussion is not possible with people who have an axe to grind.
You're the one who's disinterested in a rational discussion. You refuse to answer the question.

Answer the question and then you'll see whether or not I shall respond in a rational manner. Everyone's opinions can be changed, with the right argument. Keyword is "right".

When someone tells me a legitimate reason for artificially low speed limits with no extenuating circumstances, dishonesty in law enforcement & shining a bright light in a driver's face from a distance too far to be able to see their pupils, I will be satisfied completely.

Last edited by Soviet; 12-30-2011 at 12:30 AM..

Old 12-30-2011, 01:28 AM

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
I had a friend in high school whose brakes extanuatingly failed right before he slammed into the back of the car in front of him.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:42 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,971,719 times
What a loaded thread topic. I've skimmed through a few pages and want to smash my face thru my laptop. I originally wanted to redo the title, "When Idiots Ask Stupid Questions" but figured that's too mean.

What is with you people and your GPS devices? Do people seriously think that is any type of argument? You realize its a consumer device just like your phone or MP3 player? The roadways change and GPS devices do not get updated to keep up even if you have updates. So when a 4 way intersection suddenly has traffic lights instead of stop signs, I sure hope you notice it. MY GPS SAYS I DIDN'T HAVE TO STOP BECAUSE THIS LIGHT ISN'T REAL!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive