U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 12-31-2011, 06:54 AM

3,988 posts, read 3,647,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
I understand your argument. However, the reason I get so riled up about things is when people get tickets they didn't deserve. If you or I genuinely deserve it, it's one thing. But when we get tickets in places with artificially low speed limits or punk cops (note that I say PUNK cops, not competent cops....if they were competent, they wouldn't be pathetic punks) lie on our citations, THAT is what boils my blood. And while it boils when I see someone else suffering at the end of this pathetic incompetence, it definitely boils over when it happens to me.

And believe you me.....driving is HELLA FUN for me. I'm not giving the revenue generators any victories. I'M the one winning thanks to being careful, utilizing Huge List of Speed Traps | The National Speed Trap Exchange and rabbiting. I love driving, baby, despite needing to coexist with punk revenue generators!
A couple of things to think about.

Think about all the times you deserved a ticket, and didn't get one. I've made a number of trips to Boston in the past few years (I live in Connecticut) and I always push the speedo needle WAY to the right on those trips. Still, no ticket. How I haven't gotten a ticket for that is beyond me.

Also, you should think of driving maximum speed as a friendly competition with the cops. Think of it as a football game. If you have 45 points on the board, do you get really upset if your opponent puts up 7 points? The point is, you can't focus on every ticket in isolation, but look at your driving history over a longer period. In your case, ten years of driving with a lot of speeding, presumably, and only 2 tickets, is a pretty good record. The way I see it, you're winning the competition handily, and can afford to laugh it off when you get tagged occasionally.

We can't control everything in life, but we can control how we react to it. If a few speeding tickets over a decade or so turns out to be your biggest problem, then life is grand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-31-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
pps: For most of these strategies, I am indebted to the book, "A Speeder's Guide to Avoiding Tickets," by James M. Eagan, a retired NY State Trooper. His advice is spot-on. Amazon has the book for about 5 bucks. It's a good investment.
I read that book! It's been around for about 20 years.

You summed up the advice in it pretty well. He was pretty big on feeding the cop's ego. It's a pretty entertaining book.

You also make a good point. If you make a conscious decision to speed, sooner or later they'll get you. It's part of the game, and you have to accept it. It's all about getting away with it more often than not, and of course being safe. As I said earlier, if you're well ahead in the score, you can afford to be sporting if your opponent puts a few points on the board.

I find fast driving a lot of fun, and in terms of cost, it's a great bargain compared to what we pay for other ways to have fun. You can do it many times for free, and only pay on occasion. Can you do that if you go skydiving, or go to an amusement park or some other fun activity? With those you have to pay every time. Even with a ticket every so often, good speeding is a great bargain.

Unread 12-31-2011, 07:18 AM

14,023 posts, read 8,300,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
I've got 2 different options: the short way via Gallup, New Mexico (I-10 & I-40, then local highways full of revenue generators) or I can drive to Phoenix and hang out with a friend and EAT AT YOSHINOYA BEEF BOWL! I have such a craving for Yoshinoya right now. And then I-17 to Flagstaff & US-89 to I-15 to SLC. This adds about 250 miles or so. Is it worth it for Yoshinoya Beef Bowl? I'm not sure.
Starting from where? San Antonio? You've got several good ways to get there, some of which are not as bad as others in the number of speed traps.

I don't know as if I'd go out of my way for a bowl of Yoshinoya beef, but I sure would for a stop at the Heart Attack Grill in Chandler, AZ!

Mmmmmm. A Quadruple Bypass Burger with a side of Flat-liner fries from the french fry bar (salads are for sissies) with a total intake of about 8000 calories, most of it from fat (everything is cooked in real butter!), a check of my vital signs by the attendant "nurses," and I'd be happily on my way to Mormon country.

Unread 12-31-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Starting from where? San Antonio? You've got several good ways to get there, some of which are not as bad as others in the number of speed traps.

I don't know as if I'd go out of my way for a bowl of Yoshinoya beef, but I sure would for a stop at the Heart Attack Grill in Chandler, AZ!

Mmmmmm. A Quadruple Bypass Burger with a side of Flat-liner fries from the french fry bar (salads are for sissies) with a total intake of about 8000 calories, most of it from fat (everything is cooked in real butter!), a check of my vital signs by the attendant "nurses," and I'd be happily on my way to Mormon country.
Was that place ever on "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives?"

Unread 12-31-2011, 07:33 AM

17,580 posts, read 16,519,943 times
Quote:
Waaaal....I guess the master better weigh in here with some cheap advice:

If you really wanna get away with stuff out on the highway, don't make yourself obvious. Try to look the part of a good, solid citizen.

Don't drive flashy, hot-rod cars. That's a cop-caller. Yes, that includes tinted windows too. Cops are naturally suspicious because of their job, and heavily tinted windows make you a suspect of something.

Keep your hair cut short and trim that beard. No beard is even better. Remember...cops are quasi-military and they just instinctively trust people who look like they do.

If you have some gray hair...don't hide it. Older folks are often assumed to be good citizens, so look the part if you can.

Dress like you've got some sense and some money. No baggy jeans, no flip-flops, no rock and roll T-shirts. Slacks or clean jeans, a sport shirt and a good pair of shoes or boots go a long way toward making the difference between a ticket and a warning. A nice suit is even better. To paraphrase an old saying: "Cleanliness is next to ticketlessness."

Watch your language. Be polite, courteous and helpful when stopped. Don't cop an attitude right off the bat and no cussin', especially at the cop. You'll go home with a souvenir if you do that.

When, not IF, you get stopped, do exactly as the cop says. Remember, this is a high-threat environment for him and anything you can do to alleviate his stress is a positive for you.

For instance...don't get out of the car unless he tells you to. Pull over and stop when he turns on the lights, park safely and turn on your 4-ways. Put both hands on the steering wheel where he can see them and LEAVE THEM THERE. If it's dark, turn on the dome light. Do anything you can do to let him know you're not a threat. If he does tell you get out, stand with YOUR back to the traffic so he can watch you and the on-coming cars.

Don't argue with him and don't plead innocence. He's got you on radar or laser gun already, so that's a no-no. Don't admit anything either. Just be pleasant and co-operative. Being stopped for speeding isn't a major crisis for either of you unless you make it one.

Please don't start blubbering. That's a sign of weakness.

When you intend to speed, remember that there's little you can do to avoid being stopped. There are some defensive measures you can take, but eventually they'll get you. What happens next is often the determinate of whether or not you're getting a ticket instead of a warning and your most effective defense is to put the cop at ease, as quickly and in as many ways as you can.

Granted, my driving record doesn't indicate these strategies work, but I learned a little over time. If you go back to the beginning of the "how many tickets have you got" thread, you'll note that even though I've got 60+ speeding tickets over the years, I've only got 1 or 2 in the past 20 years.

Know why? It's not because I've slowed down, but because I've gotten smarter in the post-stop phase.

ps to Soviet: I take it you're planning a trip to SLC? What route do you intend to take?

pps: For most of these strategies, I am indebted to the book, "A Speeder's Guide to Avoiding Tickets," by James M. Eagan, a retired NY State Trooper. His advice is spot-on. Amazon has the book for about 5 bucks. It's a good investment.
I rather get a ticket than the bolded stuff. I am not going to dictate what car I drive or how I look.

The odds of getting a ticket are low to begin with.

Unread 12-31-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I rather get a ticket than the bolded stuff. I am not going to dictate what car I drive or how I look.

The odds of getting a ticket are low to begin with.
Whether you get a ticket or not is totally within your control.

Unread 12-31-2011, 07:49 AM

17,580 posts, read 16,519,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Whether you get a ticket or not is totally within your control.
I agree 100%. And as most people I certainly do speed. But no way in hell would it be worth it to me to try and reduce the chances of getting a ticket by changing the car I drive or how I look or dress.

Unread 12-31-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I agree 100%. And as most people I certainly do speed. But no way in hell would it be worth it to me to try and reduce the chances of getting a ticket by changing the car I drive or how I look or dress.
I tend to agree. Getting a ticket isn't that big a deal, and doesn't happen often enough, to warrant such extreme measures, IMO.

It's more about not standing out too much from the pack. Like anything else, it's a numbers game. The more you're out there, the greater your chances of getting tagged. Ditto with the further you push that speedo needle to the right.

I still retain some of the attitude I got used to when I was younger. Most of my friends got a lot of tickets, and we spinned it into a positive thing. I remember when my friend who was ticketless the longest finally got popped, he was grinning ear to ear when he told me about his ticket.

It's a game. If you can't take the consequences, then don't partake.

I also think the way you act when you get pulled over probably trumps the way you're dressed.

Unread 12-31-2011, 08:09 AM

8,205 posts, read 10,133,126 times
I drive like a maniac and almost never get a ticket. You just have to pay attention. Recently, I did some calculations. If I run the red light at the end of the expressway ramp on the way home, I can save the same amount of time on my trip as driving 120mph instead of 65. The light is almost 3 minutes long on red and 21 seconds on green. And, they police my route with radar, airplane and laser on a regular basis. So now I just drive the limit and run the red light at the exit ramp. A reasonable trade off I would say.

Unread 12-31-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I drive like a maniac and almost never get a ticket. You just have to pay attention. Recently, I did some calculations. If I run the red light at the end of the expressway ramp on the way home, I can save the same amount of time on my trip as driving 120mph instead of 65. The light is almost 3 minutes long on red and 21 seconds on green. And, they police my route with radar, airplane and laser on a regular basis. So now I just drive the limit and run the red light at the exit ramp. A reasonable trade off I would say.
The red light thing is more dangerous, and harder to pull off. I have an annoying light at the end of my exit, but there are usually cars piled up at it. It can pay to slip under it as it turns red, but you have to be positioned right.

Also, speeding is generally more fun. Part of it is the thrill of knowing you could be the target of enforcement, so there's that battle to avoid getting busted while still speeding. Refraining from speeding takes all the fun out of it.

I used to like to run red lights just for the hell of it, when I was much younger. My friends and I used to do it late at night. We just blew through one light after another, then went up one-way streets the wrong way, etc. It was great fun.... I also used to like to run through tollbooths without paying.

Life is more boring these days.

It's also true that the key to avoiding speeding tickets is observing. If you see what the traffic around you is doing, you can almost always tailor your driving to avoid getting ticketed. I've generally gotten busted when I've had the road to myself, and didn't have those other cars to warn me, one way or another. Speeding when you have the road to yourself is higher risk, but the temptation is always too strong to pass it up, even if I know a ticket is a strong possibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive