Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2012, 09:20 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,052,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post

Yes, I realize that we should ALWAYS be careful, but I personally am MORE careful when going through a revenue-generating town such as Atoka. And don't say it's not a revenue-generating town. Overzealous enforcement and lower than usual speed limits? It's not too difficult to figure out what's going on there.

Please tell us some of these "lower than usual speed limits" you speak of.

You know the answer to all this is real easy, watch the signs and travel only at whatever the posted speed limit is.

You know guys that tend to speed also have other "issues", this could be another reason you have problems with the ladies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 03:44 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,445,188 times
Quote:
Huge List of Speed Traps | The National Speed Trap Exchange

Have you ever used this site? Did it help? Would you ever use it?

The way I see it, there are two situations where this site can be used & one in which it can help.

In large cities, there will be many different spots where speed traps can be set up & they can move around a lot from week to week. As such, there are just SO many mappable spots that it doesn't really help you, unless there's one spot that is continually on the site's radar. (pun intended)

However, when going on a road trip through unfamiliar territory, you can map out the towns you'll be traveling through and look them up on the site. If they're a small town, they won't have too many spots available for speed traps & you can see if they have overzealous enforcement or inappropriate speed limits. This is what happened in my case with Atoka Oklahoma Speed Traps | The National Speed Trap Exchange Atoka, Oklahoma on US-69. The speed limit was lower than seemed appropriate and there were several police officers in both directions, with 2 individuals pulled over BOTH times I drove through. This website definitely showed me to be careful in that town.

Yes, I realize that we should ALWAYS be careful, but I personally am MORE careful when going through a revenue-generating town such as Atoka. And don't say it's not a revenue-generating town. Overzealous enforcement and lower than usual speed limits? It's not too difficult to figure out what's going on there.

What do you guys think? Would you use such a website? When and where? Would you use it in town or on road trips through unfamiliar territory that you're traversing for the first time ever?

Would you add to that website if you spot a speed trap?

Thanks in advance, y'all!

The speed limit in Atoka, OK is set by the state, not the city. The state sets all speed limits on numbered highways.

While you may think it's artificially low at 40 mph, you might be surprised to know that it's actually HIGHER than it was before. When they finished four-laning 69/75 through town, they bumped it up from 35.

Frankly, given the amount of traffic and number of parking lot entrances, I think it's too HIGH and never go through there that fast. And remember, this is coming from a guy with nearly 70 speeding tickets.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:19 AM

19,033 posts, read 25,104,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
While you may think it's artificially low at 40 mph, you might be surprised to know that it's actually HIGHER than it was before. When they finished four-laning 69/75 through town, they bumped it up from 35.

Frankly, given the amount of traffic and number of parking lot entrances, I think it's too HIGH and never go through there that fast. And remember, this is coming from a guy with nearly 70 speeding tickets.
As they used to say in the old Western movies...You must be new around here, mister.

If you read all of Soviet's posts on this issue, you will learn that HE is the person who is empowered to decide if a speed limit is appropriate or not!
Whatever speed he chooses to drive at is the correct speed and anything less than his chosen speed is invalid.
And, if he exceeds a posted speed limit and gets a ticket, it is always an improper exercise of police authority that is designed only to generate revenue for the local, or county, or state government.

So--please get with the program, and remember that ONLY Soviet can determine what is an appropriate speed limit anywhere in the US.

Last edited by Retriever; 02-11-2012 at 09:44 AM..

Old 03-01-2012, 04:12 PM

104 posts, read 410,715 times
Here is my "resume"

1985 - tailgating in Carmel, IN - 4 pts
1986 - speeding 70/55 in Ohio - 2 points in OH, no points in Indiana since not reported from OH
1987 - speeding 71/50 - Mt. Vernon IN - 4 points
1988 - speeding 65/55 in Indiana - warning
1988 - warning for license plate cover
1991 - speeding 58/40 - Indpls, IN - dismissed - $ 200 for lawyer
1993 - speeding 65/55 and license plate cover in Indiana - both warnings

1995 - traded Indiana license for Colorado license - out of state tickets don't count for points in CO

1996 - stopped for speeding in Kansas - warning
1998 - speeding 82/70 in Kansas reduced to non-moving 80/70

2000 - speeding 74/55 in Illinois - 1 day court supervision then dismissed
2000 - speeding 71/55 in Vincennes IN - deferred then dismissed
2001 - speeding 77/55 in Indpls - one free pass n tickets before reported
2001 - warning for running red in Breckenridge CO
2002 - warning on license plate cover in Colorado
2004 - speeding 68/55 in Wisconsin
2006 - speeding 80/70 in Missouri - 3 points in Missouri
2006 - stopped for window tint violation in Ohio
2007 - speeding 67/55 in Vincennes IN
2007 - speeding 87/70 in Missouri - 3 points in Missouri
2008 - stopped for window tint violation in Utah
2009 - speeding 70/60 in Vincennes IN - deferred then dismissed

2011 - Red Light Camera in Greenwood Village, CO - no points/no record, ignored and have to be served within 90 days !
2011 - speeding 70/60 in Princeton IN - warning
2012 - speeding 81/70 by Millersville, IN

Some states like OH and MO open point files on non-residents who get tickets there

Last edited by coredneck; 03-01-2012 at 04:23 PM..

Old 03-01-2012, 04:29 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,186,268 times
Wow coredneck. Impresive resume. Let me list my tickets as well.

1983 85 in a 45 zone. My defence: The car I was driving was built for the track and the speedo wasn't working. Officer reduced it to 10 mph over when he found out I was a good friend of another officer.

1984 Passing in Double yellow between Taft and Bakersfield California.

1987 Moving violation at an intersection.

That is about it. LOL

Old 03-01-2012, 06:03 PM

104 posts, read 410,715 times
I forgot to add 1987 - warning for tinted windows, 1988 warning for tinted windows and illegal lights, 1990 warned twice for speed - had a new Mustang GT at the time.

And I made a mistake, it was Millersville TN, not IN but unfortunately, I cannot correct now.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:20 AM

4,287 posts, read 7,984,138 times
Default Pulled Over for 5 Over; Ever Happen To You?

So I visited a friend of mine in Galveston the other day & I decided to drive home at around midnight. 1 AM, I'm on I-10 headed west & I just passed the Sam Houston Tollway, after which the speed limit is upped from 60 mph to 65 mph. So I pump up the cruise control to around 70 & hang tight. There is NOBODY on the road except for me.

Suddenly, I pass a cop who's just camping in the median, revenue generating, no doubt. It was a DPS Trooper. Those guys are usually decent. I keep driving and pay him no mind. TWO minutes later, he apparently catches up to me (driving FAR faster & being much more dangerous than I was) & lights me up. Weird....why did he take so long if he wanted to pull me over? Red flag #1.

I pull over to the shoulder, open the window, car off, in-cabin lights on, the usual. He comes up, greets me politely, makes some banter, asks for my info, which I retrieve. He asks where I'm coming from & where I'm going. I answer, whereupon he asks who I was visiting, were they male or female? What the HECK?! How on earth is that even relevant?!

I answered that I was visiting two hot transgendered females & we had a great time smokin' crack, blazin' blunts, & shootin' heroin. Right before I left for home, I drank 2 bottles of vodka to prove my Russianness!

Seriously, though, I answered his question & then he told me why he pulled me over: for speeding. For speeding 5 over? My brain was in my head. He then told me that it was in a 60-mph zone before heading back to his car. Wait, what?! Red flag #2. He was SITTING in a 65-mph zone. What the heck is he talking about? I don't flip out or cuss him out nor do I correct him, I just sit there and relax patiently as a good, acquiescent sheeple civvie civilian should in the presence of a wise, all-knowing person of installed authority.

He comes back & THIS time, he says it was in a 65-mph zone. I knew that, genius! That's why I was doing 70 mph, DUH! Then he said that he will give me a written warning. Explains that I don't have to do anything & there is no fine assessed, yadda yadda.

I take the paper, look it over & blast outta there, annoyed. Why did he pull me over? Any Houstonians reading this will laugh at the story, as people drive 10-20 mph over the limit in the daytime & no one does anything about it; whereas here I was doing 5 mph in the very middle of the night with NO ONE on the road! The next closest vehicle must have been a quarter mile behind me in my mirror.

However, why did he pull me over? The facts are thus: 5 over....middle of the night. There it is! The 5+ was probable cause for this revenue generator & the middle of the night made me a DUI candidate, perhaps? So he was fishing for DUIs, basically. Annoying, but at least he was doing his job, as opposed to many other officers who merely harass. Plus, he was probably bored & wanted something to do.

I do have to say, though, my respect for Texas law enforcement and his agency (DPS, who I had never been pulled over by) has increased. He was courteous, polite & pleasant and he didn't try to be a punk revenue generator....he merely gave me a written warning. It would have been better that he didn't bother me, but I wouldn't have had a greater respect for DPS then, would I? Good to know not all law enforcement consists of revenue generators. All in all, it was a positive experience, annoyance notwithstanding.

Now, a few questions to those who may know the answers:

1. Why did he take so long to catch up to me after I had passed him on my cruise control?

2. Why did he ask if I were with a male or female? How is this relevant?

3. Why did he claim 60 mph at first when it was quite obviously 65 mph? And then change his mind? Kind of dim, perhaps?

In the future, I'm just going to totally stick to the limit in Houston city limits in the middle of the night in order to avoid harassment and lost time. I had time to lose, but I wouldn't want this to happen on a regular basis. Most of the time when I leave Houston, it's in the middle of the night after visiting my friends. I don't want to be bothered by some revenue generator fishing for DUIs. Anyways, the limit's been upped to 75 mph once you leave town, so that'll make up for any time delay.

Have any of you ever been pulled over for 5 mph over the limit? What were the circumstances? What happened? What was the fine, if one was assessed?

Old 04-25-2012, 05:24 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,052,362 times
Quote:
I don't want to be bothered by some revenue generator fishing for DUIs. Anyways, the limit's been upped to 75 mph once you leave town, so that'll make up for any time delay.

Not be bothered? How about NOT speeding? You visit "friends" a few hundred miles away? That is the only way 65-75 is going to make any significant difference in time.

The questions are basically trigger questions, someone that has been pulled over as much as you should be familiar with them.

I know you are full of crap regarding what you told him about where you were at.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:45 AM

4,287 posts, read 7,984,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Not be bothered? How about NOT speeding? You visit "friends" a few hundred miles away? That is the only way 65-75 is going to make any significant difference in time.

The questions are basically trigger questions, someone that has been pulled over as much as you should be familiar with them.

I know you are full of crap regarding what you told him about where you were at.
"I know you are full of crap regarding what you told him about where you were at."

What? Your sentence right here, I'm sorry to say....just doesn't make sense. What were you trying to say?

Yes, I do visit friends 250 miles away from my house: San Antonio to Galveston. One of my high school bros is in his last week of school at A&M Galveston.

And this was only the 3rd time I've ever been pulled over. Haven't been harassed since September 2009. Turns out I wasn't really harassed this week, though.

And why did he ask if I were visiting a male or a female? How is that relevant?

Old 04-25-2012, 07:00 AM

49 posts, read 98,252 times
Middle of the night, and you are going at a constant speed with no one else around. I can think of two possibilities (both ethically challenged) although he did have an excuse that you were 5mph over
1. Trooper was falling asleep on job and needed acttion to keep him alert
2. Hoping for a DWI

He gave you a warning lto cover himself. If you challenged the ticket for 5mph it would probably ben theown out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive